+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT Work permit - Changing from Specialized Knowledge to Managerial Role with same employer

pk123456

Jun 27, 2020
Hi, Have a question. Working on ICT Work permit - Specialized Knowledge in Canada, A managerial position is opened up in my company. I have a previous managerial experience with the same company outside of Canada. Would like to know what is the best way to take up this position. a) Do I need to apply for amendment to ICT Managerial work permit before applying for the new position? b) Can I take up the role and later apply for change in work permit? c) Can this be done while continuing to work in Canada?

Thanks,
pk

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, Have a question. Working on ICT Work permit - Specialized Knowledge in Canada, A managerial position is opened up in my company. I have a previous managerial experience with the same company outside of Canada. Would like to know what is the best way to take up this position. a) Do I need to apply for amendment to ICT Managerial work permit before applying for the new position? b) Can I take up the role and later apply for change in work permit? c) Can this be done while continuing to work in Canada?

Thanks,
pk
The work permit you have now is specific to your current role. You will need to obtain a new work permit in order to start working in the new job (you cannot take up the new role and then later apply for the work permit change - the work permit change has to come first). Since you're here on an ICT, I believe your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to swtich jobs.

pk123456

Jun 27, 2020
The work permit you have now is specific to your current role. You will need to obtain a new work permit in order to start working in the new job (you cannot take up the new role and then later apply for the work permit change - the work permit change has to come first). Since you're here on an ICT, I believe your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to swtich jobs.
Thanks Scylia for quick response. That makes sense. New work permit can be applied while I am still in Canada right? When new work permit (managerial) is processed the earlier work permit (Specialized Knowledge) will still be active or it needs to be cancelled? What is the typical time frame for processing new work permit when applied from within Canada?

Thanks again for your quick response.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylia for quick response. That makes sense. New work permit can be applied while I am still in Canada right? When new work permit (managerial) is processed the earlier work permit (Specialized Knowledge) will still be active or it needs to be cancelled? What is the typical time frame for processing new work permit when applied from within Canada?

Thanks again for your quick response.
Yes - the new work permit can be applied for whilte you are in Canada. And yes - your original work permit will remain valid.

Your employer needs to start with the LMIA which requires one month of advertising the role according to the specific LMIA requirements. Once the advertising is completed, the employer will need to submit the LMIA application itself which can take anywhere from a few weeks to 4+ months to process (processing times vary and are especially hard to guess now due to the pandemic).

Work permit processing times are around three months - but again, could take quite a bilt longer right now due to the pandemic.

Reactions: Armstrong17

pk123456

Jun 27, 2020
Yes - the new work permit can be applied for whilte you are in Canada. And yes - your original work permit will remain valid.

Your employer needs to start with the LMIA which requires one month of advertising the role according to the specific LMIA requirements. Once the advertising is completed, the employer will need to submit the LMIA application itself which can take anywhere from a few weeks to 4+ months to process (processing times vary and are especially hard to guess now due to the pandemic).

Work permit processing times are around three months - but again, could take quite a bilt longer right now due to the pandemic.
thank you scylla. Really appreciate your help.

Reactions: Armstrong17