+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I will be getting Married in Mexico, Processing times ?

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
Hi,

This is my first post on your forum and hope this question has not been answered before. I will be getting married in Mexico in a week from today, I'm a Canadian Citizen and my wife is Mexican. As per processing times found on the CIC website. It says that the processing time will be 15 months for step two + 40 days for step 1.

Am I correct in assuming that normally it should take much less time than this ? I was always told that after sending the sponsorship request, if there are no problems with the request, it should take from 5-8 months in total since my wife will be outside of Canada, was I misinformed ?

Is there a chance that we will be separated for 17 Months ?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
Yes , 1st phase is about one month for them to let you know if you are eligible to sponsor her. then the wait for Mexico City. Another option is for your wife to apply for a visitor visa and keep extending her visitor status every sex months. I been in Canada for 12 months on a visitor status. I been extending my permit within Canada.

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi NZK0,

Welcome , I know how you feel and I am wondering the same thing. You will note that on the cic website it says that step 2 for Mexico is at 15 months for 80% of the cases, but on the Embassy website it says

Family class
Spouse, common-law-partner, conjugal partner and accompanying children
Letter of Acknowledgement after the application from CPC- Mississauga is received: 15 working days
End of process*: 6 months in 80% of the cases
* If the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) is received at the beginning of the process

I think the Embassy website may be out of date. (Date Modified: 2010-12-02)

You may want to join the Mexico thread; you may get more answers there.

Also you may already know this but if you are a foreigner marrying a Mexican citizen in Mexico you will need to get permission from Mexican immigration to get married, there is a fee to process the permission with the INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración) in Mexico. There are other requirements that vary depending on the state where you will be married. You will usually need the long form of your birth certificate translated into Spanish by and accredited translator, (Perito traductor certificado por el estado)

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
If you look on the september group there are a few applicants from Mexico , none of them have they application finalized within 6 moths.

a good advice is for you join or follow a group with the same month as your send your application so you have an idea where is your application with the rest of the applications.

or just type Mexico on the search bottom to see other cases.

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well maybe I am mistaken but the September group is only about 3 months into processing step 2.

If in September they sent the app to Mississauga then the file is transferred to Mexico in October, so then its Nov Dec Jan processing still have 3 months to go.....80% should be done by April is the embassy stats are correct....(and I do not know that there are but I can hope.)

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
OK then look at the August group and look for the applicants from Mexico.

wooera

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-11
Nomination.....
29-04-11
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-11
Passport Req..
09-09-11
hI mikeyvr did you apply for your visitors visa before or after start with the process of your permanen resident visa, are you married??

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
yes im married ,I applied before the process , once u apply for permanent residency, they may refuse a visitor visa and ask u to wait for the permanent resident application.

miguelre

Nov 28, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mine only took three months from the date they started processing my file. however, they were some delays because of misunderstandings but once mexico got my file, they were really helpful and nice. ive read how rude they are and things like that, but they were extremely nice and attentive to me.
they even called me to try and figure something out before my medicals expired and therefore making the process faster.

so hopefully you guys have a fast processing time.

wooera

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-11
Nomination.....
29-04-11
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-11
Passport Req..
09-09-11
Thtas good Mike , tanks for you help and one cuestion what did you send to apply for you r turist visa cuase i hear that is really hard to get it im hust going to get married next week so i dont know hot long to wait before to apply and what do i need to send i have a good work here i work for HP, any advice?

wooera

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-11
Nomination.....
29-04-11
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-11
Passport Req..
09-09-11
Hi Miguel when did you start with you process?? everything was done in 3 months???

miguelre

Nov 28, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well, since they started processing in april 5th 'til july. sent december 2nd 2009, approved december 7th.
our file was sent to buffalo and then transfered to mexico city on february 22nd and mexico started processing april 5th.
but as i said before, they were extremely nice and helpful.
good luck everyone!

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
wooera said:
Thtas good Mike , tanks for you help and one cuestion what did you send to apply for you r turist visa cuase i hear that is really hard to get it im hust going to get married next week so i dont know hot long to wait before to apply and what do i need to send i have a good work here i work for HP, any advice?

Does ur future wife/ husband has a job in Mexico ? they need a letter from employer , and invitation from the sponsor (you) ,your bank statements, your tax returns thats about it. Maybe plane reservation if possible and are able to cancel if the visa gets refused. they will let you know if the visitor visa gets granted with in a week. see if you could apply for it before you submitted the application for sponsorship.

Maybe they will give you the visitor visa. or having a marriage certificate could help you and if she/he gets an interview , u could say that you will eventually apply for the sponsorship within canada. BUT ALSO CAN WORK AGAINST YOU , if the sponsorship application get delayed denied , they dont want to take a risk of letting u in to canada because they u may stay.

am i making any sense????

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
mikeyvr said:
Maybe they will give you the visitor visa. or having a marriage certificate could help you and if she/he gets an interview , u could say that you will eventually apply for the sponsorship within canada. BUT ALSO CAN WORK AGAINST YOU , if the sponsorship application get delayed denied , they dont want to take a risk of letting u in to canada because they u may stay.

am i making any sense????
Hi!

We mentioned in our cover letters for my Multiple TRV our intention to get married and submitting my papers for PRV in the future. I was approved with no problems. Maybe I'm lucky but I think it had to do with having enough financial support, and I never considered lying to get a TRV as it would hit us back sooner or later. Anyway, with Mexico VO's processing times I don't think anyone should consider applying inland.

EDIT: Check the Mexico thread, there's a girl that got her TRV while waiting out her PRV in Mexico (galmxcan), she mentioned her marriage and PR being in process, got approved with no problems.

itscoezy

Dec 20, 2010
Puerto Vallarta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2012
Doc's Request.
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
Interview........
20-11-2012
Passport Req..
03-01-2013
I remember reading in Nov-Dec that it was taking approx 6 months to complete. I am in the same boat, disappointed that this website is now saying 15 months. :(

I am a year away from applying as me and my boyfriend (who is mexican) have to be considered commonlaw and i kept going back and forth to Canada during our relationship. So now i'm living in mexico permanently until we can move back. 12 months to be commonlaw + 1 month step 1 = 15 months step 2. UGH! I feel imprisonated.

Wishing everyone could come and go anywhere as they please. </3