+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I will be getting Married in Mexico, Processing times ?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
nzk0 said:
As per processing times found on the CIC website. It says that the processing time will be 15 months for step two + 40 days for step 1.

Am I correct in assuming that normally it should take much less time than this ? I was always told that after sending the sponsorship request, if there are no problems with the request, it should take from 5-8 months in total since my wife will be outside of Canada, was I misinformed ?
The 15 months is an average, for processing 80% of the applications. Some are done much more quickly, some take longer. And the averages can change - maybe more visa officers will be sent to Mexico, and so processing times this year will be faster. You never know.
You can help somewhat to get a better processing time: send in a complete application, because if anything is missing, the VO will have to request it, thus delaying your file; pay for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee at the beginning, because otherwise they have to request it, thus delaying your file; send in very good proof your relationship is genuine, and make sure everything is well-organized.
There are other issues that may make a difference in the processing time, but which you don't really have any control over. One is the number of 'red flags' in your case. If there is a big age difference, or children invloved, or your spouse has a history of trying to get into Canada, these can cause delays. About the only thing you can do about potential problem areas is try to look at your relationship as objectively as possible, identify anything the VO might think is strange, and address these issues in the application. For example, if your wife is 20 years older than you, address this in the application - maybe by pointing out that you two don't care about age, or that she looks younger than she is, or discuss how you don't want children anyway, or whatever.

sad143

Aug 7, 2011
hello everyone!

im an old reader but posting for the first time. im a Canadian citizen and will be sponsoring my husband who is from mexico, hopefully in the end of august. my husband is presently with me in canada but we will be applying outland. i have some questions concerning the outland application. as i know u can apply for outland while being anywhere else. but as my husband was a refused refugee and prrra claiment and requires an ARC , they might ask him the to submit a departure letter in the sponsorship process which means he have to leave canada in order to get his departure letter to submit to the embassy in mexico. ( as our CBSA officer told us that he would be getting an exclusion order) , so please anybody share ur experience who were in the same or similar situation... :(

o i forgot to mention that our CBSA officer was nice n kind enough to give us time until jan 2012 coz of the situtaion we were in... so i really want my husband to stay with me as long as possible in the process, im just so confused that if we apply right now then they can ask us his daparture letter , then instead of leaving in jan 2012 , he might have to leave earlier.. and how long does it takes to get ARC for exclusion?

Americana In T.O.

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/12/2011
AOR Received.
10/04/2012
File Transfer...
30/01/2012
Med's Done....
01/10/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01/08/2012
VISA ISSUED...
21/08/2012
LANDED..........
24/08/2012 YAY!!!
Re: hello everyone!

sad143 said:
im an old reader but posting for the first time. im a Canadian citizen and will be sponsoring my husband who is from mexico, hopefully in the end of august. my husband is presently with me in canada but we will be applying outland. i have some questions concerning the outland application. as i know u can apply for outland while being anywhere else. but as my husband was a refused refugee and prrra claiment and requires an ARC , they might ask him the to submit a departure letter in the sponsorship process which means he have to leave canada in order to get his departure letter to submit to the embassy in mexico. ( as our CBSA officer told us that he would be getting an exclusion order) , so please anybody share ur experience who were in the same or similar situation... :(

o i forgot to mention that our CBSA officer was nice n kind enough to give us time until jan 2012 coz of the situtaion we were in... so i really want my husband to stay with me as long as possible in the process, im just so confused that if we apply right now then they can ask us his daparture letter , then instead of leaving in jan 2012 , he might have to leave earlier.. and how long does it takes to get ARC for exclusion?
Hi Sad143, did you end up applying in August 2011?

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
Each case is different, We sent our App in Aug 2011

We just received the Passport request last week, if everything goes as plan, we should have it back in a couple of weeks

sad143

Aug 7, 2011
we got an email from the mexico embassy telling us that the file have been opened and that the letter is sent for the federal police reports.. in how long should i be expecting this letter.. as the adderess provided is of canada.

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
sad143 said:
we got an email from the mexico embassy telling us that the file have been opened and that the letter is sent for the federal police reports.. in how long should i be expecting this letter.. as the adderess provided is of canada.
In our case it took two weeks

sad143

Aug 7, 2011
thank you islenio, its actually comforting when people gone through the same process can help, :), please can you also inform me did they ask you 6 passport size photos and for what?

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
sad143 said:
thank you islenio, its actually comforting when people gone through the same process can help, :)
I feel the same way