+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I was born in Canadá, I'm going into an internship there, do I need a visa?

reis melanie

Mar 19, 2013
Hello,

I'm a Portuguese citizen and a student in University of Lisbon.

I was born in Canada at 1990, and I was there until 1994, just then I came to Portugal, where I've been since this (and I've Portuguese nationality). But I have the declaration of my birth there, in Montreal.

Now, I've planned a internship in Canada, through an organisation IPSF (the International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation), and CAPSI (The Canadian Association of Pharmacy Students and Interns) had accepted me in Toronto. The instership lasts a month.
For my internship, in Canada they require a student visa and a medical exam (that is sent by visa process for me and I need to visit a doctor to fill it out).

I'm not sure if in my situation I really need the visa and these are my questions: I'm a canadian citizen? If so, I can do this internship without visa? And about the medical exam, that is required, where can I get the file to take the doctor and fill it out?

I really appreciated your help, I'm really anxious about it, because if I need a visa, it takes time and my internship is booked for August.

Best regards,

Melanie

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

reis melanie said:
Hello,

I'm a Portuguese citizen and a student in University of Lisbon.

I was born in Canada at 1990, and I was there until 1994, just then I came to Portugal, where I've been since this (and I've Portuguese nationality). But I have the declaration of my birth there, in Montreal.

Now, I've planned a internship in Canada, through an organisation IPSF (the International Pharmaceutical Students' Federation), and CAPSI (The Canadian Association of Pharmacy Students and Interns) had accepted me in Toronto. The instership lasts a month.
For my internship, in Canada they require a student visa and a medical exam (that is sent by visa process for me and I need to visit a doctor to fill it out).

I'm not sure if in my situation I really need the visa and these are my questions: I'm a canadian citizen? If so, I can do this internship without visa? And about the medical exam, that is required, where can I get the file to take the doctor and fill it out?

I really appreciated your help, I'm really anxious about it, because if I need a visa, it takes time and my internship is booked for August.

Best regards,

Melanie

1. Do you have a Canadian Passport/PR card? If your answer is NO, apply for visa from your homeland. Birth certificate can't be a proof of citizenship.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I think it will be good to show proof of your parents' status in 1990 e.g. their birth certificates(if born in Canada), naturalization certificates or landing documents(if they were permanent residents) at that time.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/publications/proof.asp#docs

Is it possible that I am not a Canadian citizen?

In general, if you were born in Canada, you are a Canadian citizen.

If you were born in Canada after February 14, 1977 and at the time of your birth, your parents were not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada, you are not a citizen. If you were born in Canada before February 15, 1977 to a parent who was a foreign diplomat in Canada, please contact us (see “Contact Information” at the end of this publication).

Who can apply for a citizenship certificate?
Any Canadian citizen is entitled to apply for a citizenship certificate. Citizens born in Canada may apply for a citizenship certificate if they wish, although provincial or territorial birth certificates are frequently sufficient to prove Canadian citizenship.

If you wish to confirm your status as a Canadian citizen, update your citizenship certificate or replace a lost, destroyed or stolen certificate, you must apply for it.

How do I apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate?

To apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate, you must complete the form Application for a Citizenship Certificate.

To download and print the application form and guide you need, please visit the CIC website at www.cic.gc.ca.

Carefully follow the instructions in the application guide, complete the form, pay the fees, provide the required photographs and include the requested documents that are specific to your situation.