+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I was allowed IN to Canada, with less than 2 years stay of canada.

Suds

Oct 30, 2009
Hi All

I was allowed to enter Canada, even though I didn't met residency requirements i.e 2/5. Thanks a lot to leon and others for the support and encouraging me to give a shot in entering to canada. Here is my story , it might help others:

1. I landed with PR card visa status in Dec 27th 2006 by road from USA, Applied for PR card and received the same in Jan 2007
2. My PR card is valid till Jan 21st 2012
3. I stayed in Canada from Dec 27th 2006 to June 7th 2008 i.e 1 year plus 160 days = 525 days
4. Becos of personal issues , I was stucked in India and couldnt fly to canada in 2009,2010.
5.I flewed on Nov 4th 2011 alone . here is the questionare from Officer
Officer:When did you leave canada
Me: June 7th 2008
Off: what was the reason for the long stay
Me: My Grandparents got sicked and taking care of them etc....
Off: When did you arrive canada
Me: Dec27th 2006
Off: You havent met residency reks. You need to appeal at the time of renewal and show all the documents(grandfather medical etc) what you told now.
me: Ok.
6. I stayed from Nov 4th 2011 to Dec 12th 2012 in canada = 39 days
7. I went back to India(Becos of personal issues etc) on Dec12th and come back with family on Dec29th . Here is the questinare:

Officer: Your family is coming after 3 years i.e after 2008
Me: Yes, But I left the country In dec12th
Off: you stayed for 30 days plus and left , Even you returned after 2008
Me: I said Yes.We both stayed from 2006 to 2008 and left to India . And I alone entered in Nov, and went back to India and come with family.
off: Dont you know you have to stay for 2 years out of 5 years, You havent met residency reks. You stayed for 18 months and gone.
Me: Yes. Becos of my grandparents sickness, I couldnt stay longer
Off: What about her? why she left
Me: Same we both are supporting grandparents.
Off: But you didnt meet residency reks?
Me:Yes. I agree. I stayed for 18 months plus 40 days in Nov. Last time I was told by officer that I need to submit all the documents why I couldnt stay longer. Let me know If I need to show to you
Off: Not to me. You need to show to Immigration at the time of renewal
Me: thanks.

Some officers are gud. And few are mean. I was told by many over there. They will let us IN as long as we have valid PR card. but very few are so mean and report.

Thanks to all. let me know for any questions

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am glad it worked out for you. Now to be sure to get your renewal, do not apply to renew your PR card until you have 730 days in the past 5 years before you apply. That way, they must renew.

If you apply earlier, your application will take a long time because they will have to investigate if they accept your grandparents illness having been the reason you couldn't meet the residency requirements.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats Sud. It would help to know what port of entry you used. Can you share? Thanks.

Suds

Oct 30, 2009
Sure Leon. So far I have around 563 days. If I stay 167 days more i would complete 730 days, by June 15th 2012 , I can apply for renewal right? But here if they count me from the day I got PR card i.e from Dec27th 2006 to June15th 2012, it will be 2years out of 5yrs6 months. Is that Ok? or you are suggesting me to stay 2 years out of 5 years only..In this case I loose all my old days stayed as those are in 07 and 08. I would go by your suggestion only.Pls advise.

My port of entry is Toronto (Pearson International airport)..Around 10-13 Officers are there at immigration...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It has to be in a 5 year period so yes, you will lose the old days you stayed. You can apply after you stayed 2 years so in December 2013. It is not a problem to have an expired PR card. Just take care of your drivers license and health care now and you should not need your PR card again for the next 2 years as long as you stay in Canada.