+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I WAS ACCEPTED AS REFUGEE BUT MY 6 YEAR OLD IS REJECTED

Ysiad@0107

Sep 17, 2022
Dear All,

Do you have any idea what i should do if i am accepted as refugee but my american citizen son is rejected.Do i need to appeal for him? Or i will apply PR and include him on the application? Do i need to cancel his refugee application? Please advice

thank you so much in advance

Newday8765

Star Member
Mar 11, 2022
Dear All,

Do you have any idea what i should do if i am accepted as refugee but my american citizen son is rejected.Do i need to appeal for him? Or i will apply PR and include him on the application? Do i need to cancel his refugee application? Please advice

I am in the same boat. No need to appeal as it will be useless and will not be accepted. Just include him in your PR application as your dependent child.

Reactions: Ysiad@0107

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,

Your American child hasn’t likely been persecuted so doesn’t have a case for asylum. If they were denied there is nothing to be withdrawn. You will have to include the, on your PR application but they will only get processed after you receive PR so around 2 years. They currently don’t have status in Canada.

Ysiad@0107

Sep 17, 2022
Your American child hasn’t likely been persecuted so doesn’t have a case for asylum. If they were denied there is nothing to be withdrawn. You will have to include the, on your PR application but they will only get processed after you receive PR so around 2 years. They currently don’t have status in Canada.
Hi ,thank you so much for your reply, do they need to return the passport?
Thank you

Ysiad@0107

Sep 17, 2022
Hi everyone..i requested his passport but they said it will be return only after PR is approved.i dont mnow what to do

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone..i requested his passport but they said it will be return only after PR is approved.i dont mnow what to do
Did you speak with someone over the phone? I dont see why they shouldnt return passport for minor after failed refugee claim

Laila mohsin

Star Member
Jun 5, 2023
Did you speak with someone over the phone? I dont see why they shouldnt return passport for minor after failed refugee claim
The rule is if your child is a US citizen the refugee case didn’t apply so when your case was accept they told you that your child was not accepted it does matter because when you file your PR you will include all family members detail and PR card came of whole family including that child.
and yes you can only get that passport back when you got your PR card or eCOPR.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The rule is if your child is a US citizen the refugee case didn’t apply so when your case was accept they told you that your child was not accepted it does matter because when you file your PR you will include all family members detail and PR card came of whole family including that child.
and yes you can only get that passport back when you got your PR card or eCOPR.
Thank you Laila, So simply a child is not Conventional Refugee and Removal Order is Active after failed refugee claim, However since both parents have status in Canada, Minor should be able to apply visitor records, Why would CBSA still hold the passport? Since you mention "The rule is...", Would you be able to share that rule?

Laila mohsin

Star Member
Jun 5, 2023
I don’t have any written rule I know all this because I my roommate go through it, when you get your PR you can simply ask for the documents so they will give you all the document altogether in my friend case it was all family members passport including US and home country identity cards.