+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to marry my gf from japan but dont know the process... Help!!

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

My gf and i have been dating for over a year but dont have much prove we been living together.
She is from Japan and i am a Canadian citizen and we are planning on getting married.
We have been doing a long distance relationship ever since she left Canada and have been travelling back and forth to see each other for the last 6 moths
We have decided to get married and i am trying to get all the necessary information to start the process.
I read in an article that i have the option of INLAND or OUTLAND application but again i will need to read more about this since i dont know much about it.

1-Should i got to Japan and get married or can i do it from Canada...Which one is faster
2- Do we both need to be together to apply or can we both start the process in our own countries
3- What are my options... BTW non of us have ever been married.
4- Whom do i talk to about this
5- What forms do i need
6-Can she come here, get married then go home and finish application...

It would be really nice to hear advises as i am in the same position many of us have been in.
Pls help!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

My gf and i have been dating for over a year but dont have much prove we been living together.
She is from Japan and i am a Canadian citizen and we are planning on getting married.
We have been doing a long distance relationship ever since she left Canada and have been travelling back and forth to see each other for the last 6 moths
We have decided to get married and i am trying to get all the necessary information to start the process.
I read in an article that i have the option of INLAND or OUTLAND application but again i will need to read more about this since i dont know much about it.

1-Should i got to Japan and get married or can i do it from Canada...Which one is faster
2- Do we both need to be together to apply or can we both start the process in our own countries
3- What are my options... BTW non of us have ever been married.
4- Whom do i talk to about this
5- What forms do i need
6-Can she come here, get married then go home and finish application...

It would be really nice to hear advises as i am in the same position many of us have been in.
Pls help!!
Hi

1. It is your personal decision whether to get married in Canada or Japan.

2. You can do the application from your respective countries.

3. Not really sure what you are asking.

4. You don't need to talk to anyone.

5. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

6. Yes, she can come here as a visitor to get married and then return to her country to finish the application.

Reactions: Ce-r

Incroyable

Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-12-2017
Are you planning on living together during her PR application? In Canada or Japan?

When you decide inland or outland, download the check list and make sure you start working on gathering necessary proofs.

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
From my understanding of the situation, you want to get married and then live together in Canada?

Your easiest path would then be for you to get married wherever you want. Then she comes here to visit you and you apply for in-land sponsorship.
That way you get to spend the maximum time together and the process is straightforward :)

You would apply out-land if she can't come to Canada for the next year (due to work etc.)

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
Are you planning on living together during her PR application? In Canada or Japan?

When you decide inland or outland, download the check list and make sure you start working on gathering necessary proofs.
Yes we are planning on living together in canada during that time and shes wants to get a working permit during that time as well.
Now a related question - would you know, if she gets a work permit is she allowed to travel back and forth from canada to japan? Or does she have to wait in Canada the whole time?

Last edited:

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
Hi

1. It is your personal decision whether to get married in Canada or Japan.

2. You can do the application from your respective countries.

3. Not really sure what you are asking.

4. You don't need to talk to anyone.

5. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

6. Yes, she can come here as a visitor to get married and then return to her country to finish the application.
Thanks for the info

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
From my understanding of the situation, you want to get married and then live together in Canada?

Your easiest path would then be for you to get married wherever you want. Then she comes here to visit you and you apply for in-land sponsorship.
That way you get to spend the maximum time together and the process is straightforward :)

You would apply out-land if she can't come to Canada for the next year (due to work etc.)
Yes thats exactly what i want to do.

Yes thats what i want to do! My next concern is what i asked @Incroyable.
Would you have any suggestions towards this matter?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes we are planning on living together in canada during that time and shes wants to get a working permit during that time as well.
Now a related question - would you know, if she gets a work permit is she allowed to travel back and forth from canada to japan? Or does she have to wait in Canada the whole time?
If you apply inland, it is advised that she remain in canada throughout the process.

Has she had an IEC work permit already?

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
If you apply inland, it is advised that she remain in canada throughout the process.

Has she had an IEC work permit already?
She had a study and work visa. Not sure if IEC work permit falls under that category. I would have to get back to you on that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She had a study and work visa. Not sure if IEC work permit falls under that category. I would have to get back to you on that.
It doesn't.

If she qualifies for IEC, she can get a one year work permit. You guys can apply outland and she can leave Canada during the process without any risk to the PR app.

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
It doesn't.

If she qualifies for IEC, she can get a one year work permit. You guys can apply outland and she can leave Canada during the process without any risk to the PR app.
I think your saying...
if she applies inland then she cannot leave the country and if she does her PR app will be canceled or ar risk?

But if she applies outland then she can come and go as she pleases and her PR will not be affected?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I think your saying...
if she applies inland then she cannot leave the country and if she does her PR app will be canceled or ar risk?

But if she applies outland then she can come and go as she pleases and her PR will not be affected?
If she applies inland, leaves and is refused re-entry, the PR app is cancelled. The risk of refusal is low but it is still there.

If she applies outland, leaves and is refused re-entry, the PR app continues to process as normal.

Ce-r

Dec 15, 2017
If she applies inland, leaves and is refused re-entry, the PR app is cancelled. The risk of refusal is low but it is still there.

If she applies outland, leaves and is refused re-entry, the PR app continues to process as normal.
Makes sence! Thank you kindly for taking the time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Quick question, if she applies outland will she still be able to get a job while she waits here with me?
If she has a work permit. There is no OWP option with an outland app, hence why I advised to apply for IEC.