+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to get married in India and Come - PR holder in Canada

Raasmi

Apr 18, 2013
Hello,

I am PR holder (landed here as a divorce) who landed last August 2012 and now that the person is in India whom I want to get married, I am just wondering if I can go for a vacation and get married to him and come back.
I have a kid whom am managing all alone and was thinking that that my loved one would come here on a work permit so that we can get married here but it is taking more time than expected we are getting frustrated not knowingwhat to do and is become miserable life with uncertinity.

Please advise
1. If I can get married to him if I go next month?
2. Can I land here back again with marital status changed?
3. What is the next procedure to inform the Ca govt on my marital status? Where exactly to whom to inform?
4. Can I bring him here as a dependent on the dependent visa ? If so how and when?
5. Shoud he apply it from India or here from Canada to come as my dependent?

Please help mecome out this miserable situation we are facing since last year. My parents and his parents wants me to go back and get married to him and be there, but there are so many other constraints from my company I work, my childs eduction change etc.

Please Please Please request to help me come out this situation and advise me. Thank you in advance!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) You can get married whenever you want

2) You can return to Canada. You won't be "landing" again.

3) You don't need to register the marriage. Next year when you do your taxes, you can tell them you're married.

4) Very unlikely.

5) India.... there's almost no chance he will get a visitor's visa. There is no such thing as a dependant visa.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raasmi said:
I am PR holder (landed here as a divorce) who landed last August 2012 and now that the person is in India whom I want to get married, I am just wondering if I can go for a vacation and get married to him and come back.
I have a kid whom am managing all alone and was thinking that that my loved one would come here on a work permit so that we can get married here but it is taking more time than expected we are getting frustrated not knowingwhat to do and is become miserable life with uncertinity.

Please advise
1. If I can get married to him if I go next month?

Yes, you can get married to him any time if you are legally divorced.

2. Can I land here back again with marital status changed?

You only "land" as a PR once. When you come back to Canada after that, you are just a returning PR. Nobody will be asking you if your marital status changed but if they ask what was the purpose of your trip, you can tell them you got married.

3. What is the next procedure to inform the Ca govt on my marital status? Where exactly to whom to inform?

Inform the taxes when you file for taxes. You don't have to inform anybody else.

4. Can I bring him here as a dependent on the dependent visa ? If so how and when?

You can sponsor him for PR. Info here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

5. Shoud he apply it from India or here from Canada to come as my dependent?

He has to fill out some of the forms but you will be the one who is applying.

Please help mecome out this miserable situation we are facing since last year. My parents and his parents wants me to go back and get married to him and be there, but there are so many other constraints from my company I work, my childs eduction change etc.

If you want to sponsor him for PR, you can not stay in India after the wedding. As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor. The sponsorship might take a few months to process.

Raasmi

Apr 18, 2013
Thank you very much for answering my questions.

But what would be the use if he cannot come here and I getting married to him. I believe it wont serve purpose of life.

What is the way he can come and join us if I get married? Is there a way at all? if not, it doesnt make sense to me to live her

Don't a husband get chance in this country to live his wife if he is married? Please reply. thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can sponsor your husband to immigrate and live with you in Canada. But it's going to take some processing time. During the processing time, you and your husband might have to live separately, unless you visit him or he visit you in Canada.

BTW, there are lots of married people live separately in different countries. It might serve their purpose of life. It might not make sense to you, but certainly make sense for them.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Raasmi said:

But what would be the use if he cannot come here and I getting married to him. I believe it wont serve purpose of life.

What is the way he can come and join us if I get married? Is there a way at all? if not, it doesnt make sense to me to live her

Don't a husband get chance in this country to live his wife if he is married? Please reply. thank you.
It's just temporary and NDVO is usually one of the fastest. Think of it as a small sacrafice to have a life together. Everyone here has had to make them in one way or another :)

Chances are, he won't get a visa to visit. You can look at other options - if he would qualify to study in Canada or has a certain profession in demand in Canada. (These are both difficult options and may end up taking longer than regular spouse sponsorship with your VO.) I definitely wouldn't recommend relying on one, however. Use the links posted to review information for spousal sponsorship. You can try for a Visitor's Visa and try after you are approved as a sponsor. (They are slightly more likely to approve for the visa after sponsor approval, but still a low chance.)

Raasmi

Apr 18, 2013
Ok. But could you please let me know how long it might take approximately and can he visit me here?

If so, how and what are the procedures please. And should I have some fund in my account? if so how much? Please help and advise.

I completely agree with you. But life is not always the same with everyone. When I was a young youth I was married to a man who was careless and didnt wanted to take care of his wife or family. Since the day of marriage, I never lived with him and got separated in 6 mnths of time. Being highly educated and living in such country with so much difficulty we have decided to get married with both the Family's agreement now.
I have been living all alone all these 10 years earning, struggling to manage people around by taking care of myself and my child not being dependent on my parents (an in India it's not easy like Canada).

So now that past 4 years am in love with this person and hardly we are able to meet. We love each other a lot and cannot afford to live anymore afar.
Having siad all this, it might make sense to some living so far and for some it may not. I want to begin my life atleast now as I have spent all these year just by struggling! Hope you will help me start my new life. Thanks in advance.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You can check times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

NDVO is at 10 months for 80% of cases. This means 80% of cases are done in 10 months or less. Another thing you can do is locate the NDVO thread and look at their timelines. (I don't belong to that thread or I would share the link.) You can get an idea of how people are processing through. There is no set time, no average, and no guarantee - but a lot of people go through faster than published times. (For example, my VO is Ottawa. Ottawa posts 13 months for their time. I see times of 7-8 months regularly with users - as I'm an editor of the spreadsheet for Ottawa - but there are some which are much, much longer because of various reasons.)

The biggest thing you can do to help your process is send in a complete, well done application. Everytime the VO has to stop processing your application and request documents, it delays your application. However... many VOs are known to misplace documents. It's very far beyond our control. Rather frustrating, so you have to distract yourself with other tasks or learn to be hands off.

The most helpful item I can show you (besides the forum - it is the best) is this guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp

It contains the current forms and answers a lot of questions. You can almost go through line by line with the forms and read tips to fill out the questions. (Besides the obvious ones, like your name. If you can't answer that question... well... ummmmm..... :p )

He will need to qualify for a visitor's visa: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp

Here is why it's hard: He has a wife in Canada and most sane people wish to be with their husband/wife. However, when you apply for a Visitor's Visa, you must prove your trip is temporary and you have no plans to remain in Canada long term. You can probably see where the problem is already. If he has property and/or a business and significant funds of his own in a bank account in India, there is a better chance he will be approved. He should always declare he has a wife in Canada - lying can get him banned. He will need to declare any denials for a visitor's visa on his PR application - but having one before/after the wedding to visit his spouse is 100% okay. I think the VO would rather see he tried to visit you than have no record.

I would ask on the NDVO thread as well - for advice, tips, and maybe from people who were successful with the visitor's visa. So anyhow, the low down is it's really really hard to get a Visitor's Visa for a spouse and that sucks.

Raasmi

Apr 18, 2013
:( :( : ( It's very hard!!

Yes I will look at the CIC links and btw we also checked about the vistor's visa. But then thought it would be very difficult to sponser if in case if I have to sponser for his PR.

Well will try and see this NDVO. Thanks for the information and for liking my name :) :)

Raasmi

Apr 18, 2013
Bw I live in Toronto so not sure how long it woul dtake from here. Let me check more info in CIC.
Thank you very much for replying!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You haven't given me any reason so far to think you can't sponsor your husband. You don't need a big bank account and there's no minimum income requirements for a spouse. The only real rules are no social assistance (besides disability) and if you aren't working, you need to have a plan of how you will support your husband before he can find a job. As long as you have a job, any job, it's fine. Also, your husband will be required to list his education and intended profession in Canada, so CIC will consider his ability to work as well. You can read the eligibility requirements for you (the sponsor) and him (the applicant) to be allowed to sponsor/enter Canada. They are pretty basic!

Where you live in Canada shouldn't matter for PR.

Where you a Skilled Worker PR? If yes, you will find Family PR is much easier. Canada has it as a goal to help reunite families (when it can). Read over the forms, start seeing what documents and papers you will need. Think about what evidence you can provide for your relationship. Getting together documents and preparing my proofs was the longest part of the process for me. (My fingerprints weren't readable for my first police check, so I had to apply again - almost two extra months!)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raasmi said:

Did you even read my reply? I told you that you can sponsor him for PR and even gave you the link to the sponsorship section on the CIC website. Now go there and start reading.

If you can not deal with the forms, you can hire a consultant to do it for you but they are simple enough for most people to do it themselves.

Raasmi

Apr 18, 2013
Hi Amikety,

Thanks for a detailed information. I was away to India on a short vacation for a while and now am back that I should start the process.

Yes, I entered the country as a skilled worker then (IT/Software Tester), but not sure if it is any more the same as I see difficulties people coming as skilled workers under this NOC. and I still have a job and am working for one the reputed big company here.

My husband a Bacehelor of Science degree and he is also in to IT/Data ware house/Software Testing since 7 years.

Yes I should putting together all the docs now. Gosh!, another 2 months just for the finger prints evidence. God help! when will my husband come then!??!!
I have always been hoping for the best, let's see. Just keep going like that.! Will keep posted. Thanks a lot Ami! (Sorry I liked calling you AMi).

Leon,

Thnaks for the link, I will start seeing it. But for me it's been paper works thorugh out my life. But I have no other choice if I have to bring my husband here.
Thanks Again!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Good luck! I had to wait 3 months for my police clearance to come back, so I know how hard it is to wait on ONE piece of paper to send in the whole application!

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
Amikety- I am a prospective student of U of S. I will be going to Sask this Fall. I would like to know how and when can I sponsor my husband, I mean for a OQP so that he gets to stay withe me there?!

Please advise...