+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I traveled with an expired PR card

lily_99654

Nov 9, 2008
Thought this might be of interest to some of you.

I am an American, PR of Canada. Last week I travelled to the US, and did not realize my PR card was expired. When I arrived back at the airport in Canada I was sent to a secondary Customs & Immigration room (was not told why). After waiting a really long time I was finally "served" and told my card was expired. When I said I wasnt aware it had expired the agent said "Yes, it is a frequent problem right now since the cards began being issued 5 years ago and are now expiring". Anyway, she just told me to get it renewed and sent me on my way.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I wasnt hassled or held back. But, during my long wait in that room I had the opportunity to observe the extreme inefficiency, rudeness and general lack of respect and courtesy on the part of the agents. Wouldnt want to repeat the experience.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
You do not need a visa or PR card to enter Canada as a American Citizen, and so as Canadians to USA. Why would they send you back anyway, PR card just allow you to work there and establish a SIN number etc. As an American you can enter Canada without PR card and you shouldn't even need to show it, but since you showed it, you was waited in the room.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are a PR, you shouldn't enter as a tourist. That's the reason why if you are a PR you should always travel with a PR card. If you are already in the system, as soon as they scan your passport, they will know that you are a PR and they will ask for your PR card.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Oh Man... they have their eye on you from all angles - this is good to know Leon, thanks... So I guess it goes the same for the people from Canada who has GC for USA, must show a valid GC when entering.

One of my co-worker analyst used to come from Canada every week as we were working on the same project, and one week she didn't showed up as her GC was stolen or lost in Canada, she had to get some papers to come back and paid $700 to get the GC. I was thinking at that time that why she just came as she was Canadian citizen - I guess now I understand why?

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The US is even very strict about their dual citizens using their US passport to travel to and from the US. If you were a dual US and Canadian, you could technically go to the US on your Canadian passport for vacation but they really don't like this. Maybe because they scan you in and register you as a tourist when you are not. I am sure the same goes for the US green card, that they want you to have it and show it when you enter.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
lily - if you thought the Canadian IOs were rude and inefficient, I guess you have never experienced an American officer in action... If you google "rude & inefficiency" you'll get a picture of US government employee...

lily_99654

Nov 9, 2008
I knew the US border agents were a$$es, was very disappointed to find the same deal with the Canadian agents. I guess its just one of those "power" positions...

ghiaskhan

None of the immigration officers would behave in a difficult manner, until you have all the documents with you and are capable of managing questions to thier satisfaction. They may look difficult,a$$es,rude and inefficient as termed by many friends, but at the end of the day they are doing a duty imposed upon them.It would be very difficult for them to keep smiling in all situations.