+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I still have not received my renewed study permit

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
I received a confirmation from the CIC that the application to extend my study permit and stay in Canada has been approved 6 weeks ago but so far i have not received my study permit which they promised in the confirmation letter. Now i'm currently away from Canada (I have to leave before getting the permit), and I don't know how to contact the CIC. I have tried to send them an email to this address: question@cic.gc.ca but they didn't reply; I tried to call them from where i'm staying right now (during office hours) but they didn't pick up. If anyone has been in this situation before please help me. I lack the official document and i'm afraid they will deny my entry to Canada when i come back.

katya0107

Jul 30, 2014
Hi! You can call them 1-888-242-2100. After 6 weeks from the first mailing date you should be able to request another cope to be mailed to you.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
Yeah I got impatient so i already renewed my study permit at the airport at the immigration office. But i got myself into another trouble... Because i was running late for my flight i didn't check the permit after renewing it. When i have time to check it, i notice that i only have one year of validity even though i applied for four. I believe this must be a mistake. Is it possible that i call the number that you gave me in the previous post to ask about this?

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Minh0609 said:
Yeah I got impatient so i already renewed my study permit at the airport at the immigration office. But i got myself into another trouble... Because i was running late for my flight i didn't check the permit after renewing it. When i have time to check it, i notice that i only have one year of validity even though i applied for four. I believe this must be a mistake. Is it possible that i call the number that you gave me in the previous post to ask about this?
You might have asked for 4 but they have discretion to give you what they want.

4 years is a long time so they probably want you to renew it each year to make sure you're actually going to school.

There's no point in asking them to change it because they will just ask you to reapply when it's near expiry again.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
Josh21 said:
You might have asked for 4 but they have discretion to give you what they want.

4 years is a long time so they probably want you to renew it each year to make sure you're actually going to school.

There's no point in asking them to change it because they will just ask you to reapply when it's near expiry again.
But that means like close to $500 every year to renew my permit. Isn't that preposterous? On the website they said that the visa would be extend up to the point when the applicants finish their studying and all of my friends whose renewed their permit got 4 years... So you are telling me that even if i call that number to ask about this problem they would just wave me off and tell me to apply again next year? That is just ridiculous ... I feel like i just got scammed...

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Minh0609 said:
But that means like close to $500 every year to renew my permit. Isn't that preposterous? On the website they said that the visa would be extend up to the point when the applicants finish their studying and all of my friends whose renewed their permit got 4 years... So you are telling me that even if i call that number to ask about this problem they would just wave me off and tell me to apply again next year? That is just ridiculous ... I feel like i just got scammed...
Isn't the processing fee like 150$?

Anyway, If there is nothing wrong with the permit like Name, UCI ID etc, then yes, you will just wait to have till next year and reapply.

You could reapply right now but expect to pay processing fees again and most probably get rejected since you already have a permit.

It's better to just wait till next year and specifically request a 3 year permit through an additional letter.

The call centre can't really help you since they can just tell you what you already know, i.e what the CIC decision is. They are not Immigration officers, so they dont have the authority to change anything.

Minh0609

Jun 6, 2014
Up to $500 because of the medical check up.
Anyway, I called them and they said that this is the CIC decision and they can't do anything about it... Well the only way, just like you said, is to apply for a new one which is most likely going to be rejected...
Let's just say i'm pretty pissed right now because they can't give me a valid reason why i only have one year of validity.
Guess I have to wait until next year to get a 3 years extension.

Jun 22, 2016
Hi i am new to this forum.

I just wanna ask is there anyone here applied
for study permit to Canada from Cebu Philippines?
I submitted my docs and received CVAC last May 17
and was told it will be submitted on the next working day
which is on the 18th.

Received medical requests. DONE. The Nationwide
HEALTH system here in Cebu told me the results were
submitted May 18 and are normal.

When i checked my tracking number provided
by VFS vis email it still says "my application is on the process"...
My class starts on july 4 and still no feedback yet. This week is my
5th week of waiting.

Guys do u have any thoughts about these? My other
friends were approved 3 weeks from the time they applied.
And they are in Canada now.

I have strong proof of financial funds, and strong supporting
documents. I just dont understand why. Meron ba dito na approve more
than a month?

lourve

Star Member
May 11, 2016
therese.lepiten said:
Hi i am new to this forum.

I just wanna ask is there anyone here applied
for study permit to Canada from Cebu Philippines?
I submitted my docs and received CVAC last May 17
and was told it will be submitted on the next working day
which is on the 18th.

Received medical requests. DONE. The Nationwide
HEALTH system here in Cebu told me the results were
submitted May 18 and are normal.

When i checked my tracking number provided
by VFS vis email it still says "my application is on the process"...
My class starts on july 4 and still no feedback yet. This week is my
5th week of waiting.

Guys do u have any thoughts about these? My other
friends were approved 3 weeks from the time they applied.
And they are in Canada now.

I have strong proof of financial funds, and strong supporting
documents. I just dont understand why. Meron ba dito na approve more
than a month?
Hi. You can post your timeline and concerns in this Filipino thread
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/anyone-applied-a-student-permit-from-philippines-t111111.0.html

aridda96

Jul 3, 2017
Hi- I know this post was from a while back but I'm currently struggling with the same problem. I have my study extension approved and waiting for my permit in the mail. It's now 2 weeks since it was approved. Did you guys get the permit within 2-3 weeks? Also, is it possible to enter canada without the study permit? Getting worried since school is starting soon. Thanks in advance!