+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

i sold my email address online. do i need to declare this as 'other income'?

qwertyguy

Jan 21, 2018
toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
toronto
hi,

My profession is that of a software engineer.
In 2017 I was contacted by someone from USA who liked my email address and offered me 500 USD to sell it.
As i was not using the email address, i gave it to them and they transferred money to my paypal.

As i am not in the business of selling email ids or any other product on line and as this was a one time sale, am i supposed to declare this as a income and pay taxes?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hi,

In 2017 I was contacted by someone from USA who liked my email address and offered me 500 USD to sell it.
As i was not using the email address, i gave it to them and they transferred money to my paypal.

As i am not in the business of selling email ids or any other product on line and as this was a one time sale, am i supposed to declare this as a income and pay taxes?
I think that this is extremely unlikely. It's no different than selling a car or an item of furniture.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
hi,

If you used the email address that you sold for your job as a software engineer, then it is taxable income because you sold something that belonged to the business side of your life.

If you used the email address that you sold for personal emails, then it's not taxable income. In that case it's like selling a used piece of furniture.