+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I seek your advice on my case

Marwa121

Mar 26, 2020
Dear All,

I'm a Canadian citizen while my husband is a US citizen and I want to check how I can bring him to live and work in Canada.

1- Can I apply to bring him as a spouse while I'm living outside Canada (I'm currently living with him in the USA) or I have to be in Canada while his case under processing?
2- Can my husband come and work in Canada while his application is under process instead of waiting until getting the Pr especially if the case could take a year or more

kindly advice on the above

Best regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All,

I'm a Canadian citizen while my husband is a US citizen and I want to check how I can bring him to live and work in Canada.

1- Can I apply to bring him as a spouse while I'm living outside Canada (I'm currently living with him in the USA) or I have to be in Canada while his case under processing?
2- Can my husband come and work in Canada while his application is under process instead of waiting until getting the Pr especially if the case could take a year or more

kindly advice on the above

Best regards,
1. Yes. You can apply while both of you are living outside of Canada.
2. Yes. However in order to do so, you must both first come to Canada and then apply to sponsor him while both of you are within Canada and include an open work permit with the application.

Move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum if you have questions.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. Yes. You can apply while both of you are living outside of Canada.
2. Yes. However in order to do so, you must both first come to Canada and then apply to sponsor him while both of you are within Canada and include an open work permit with the application.

Move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum if you have questions.

1. Note, he would not be able to work with an in Canada spousal application, until Approval in Principal stage is passed, about 4 months.

Marwa121

Mar 26, 2020
Hi

1. Note, he would not be able to work with an in Canada spousal application, until Approval in Principal stage is passed, about 4 months.
Can both of us Back to Canada after this 4 months? I know he can but me as a sponser I just want to make sure that it no need from me to stay in canada at any stage of the his processing so we can move together later instead of waiting for months by myself in Canada.

One of the conditions that they told him when he applied to me to come to USA as a spouse was to stay in US
That why I’m asking if the cases are similar in canada too

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can both of us Back to Canada after this 4 months? I know he can but me as a sponser I just want to make sure that it no need from me to stay in canada at any stage of the his processing so we can move together later instead of waiting for months by myself in Canada.

One of the conditions that they told him when he applied to me to come to USA as a spouse was to stay in US
In order to apply inland you both have to move to Canada and apply. Inland application can apply with a work permit. It will take around 4 months to get the WP so he will not be able to work for a Canadian employer until he gets a work permit but you can. If you both apply for sponsorship outland while in the US you will have to gather strong proof that you will move to Canada once your spouse gets PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No. You need to come to Canada together, apply for PR inland and both stay here without leave for the 4-5 months it takes to get the open work permit.

If one or both of you don't want to stay in Canada during this time, then you'll need to apply outland and forget about getting the open work permit.