+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"I respect myself too much to stay in Canada": Why so many new immigrants are leaving

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
When I made that comment, I was trying to see from the younger generations’ eyes. I presume you both are referring to the natural beauty of the country side. Usually, when one is younger, the preference is on the “busy” and “active” life (i.e. partying). And recently, the younger one’s prefer anything that would give them more social media mileage. While Michigan/PA/NY are in close proximity, that kind of reinforces my point about “not much to see in Canada”. While they are close, they are not in Canada.

Now, if you both could be gracious enough to share tourist spots in Canada, that would be very much appreciated. Canada’s Wonderland offers nothing new from Disney World or Universal Studios. Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto is not unique in itself. CN Tower cannot really be considered an architectural wonder, if compared to the iconic buildings in the Mid East, or the ruins of ancient Greece and Rome, or even the Great Pyramids in Egypt. Museums also pales in comparison if we’re talking about the Louvre. France has the Eiffle Tower, and the US has the Statue of Liberty. Dubai has Burj Al Khalifa and Burj Al Arab. Even central America have the Mayan temples and Chichen Itza.

At my age past 50, one of the reasons I moved here was the quiet and serene lifestyle, hence my comment about “Canadians being too laid back”. How many younger immigrants do you think would be interested in a quiet and lazy afternoon beside a lake with a fishing rod on one hand and a beer in the other?

Lest I be misconstrued again, these are just my opinions.
I lived in Seattle before and now in Vancouver area. I still travel to same places I used to before both in US and Canada. Nothing changed just because now living across the border. Statue is Liberty is about same distance from Seattle as from Vancouver. Same goes for visiting Dubai or Paris.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I lived in Seattle before and now in Vancouver area. I still travel to same places I used to before both in US and Canada. Nothing changed just because now living across the border. Statue is Liberty is about same distance from Seattle as from Vancouver. Same goes for visiting Dubai or Paris.
Again, those places are outside Canada. If you backread the conversation, I was giving my comment/opinion on why there are “fewer” immigrants in Canada. In this forum alone, you would see a lot of conversation about only getting Canadian passport for easier travel elsewhere. Once in possession of that passport, these new immigrants are very vocal relocating for better job opportunities or better weather. They didn’t immigrate here because of Canada’s “natural beauty”.

I am still waiting for somebody to mention tourist spots specific to Canada...

Reactions: IPULL

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Again, those places are outside Canada. If you backread the conversation, I was giving my comment/opinion on why there are “fewer” immigrants in Canada. In this forum alone, you would see a lot of conversation about only getting Canadian passport for easier travel elsewhere. Once in possession of that passport, these new immigrants are very vocal relocating for better job opportunities or better weather. They didn’t immigrate here because of Canada’s “natural beauty”.

I give up bruh! I can't don't understand the correlation between attracting lower quality immigrants and "Canada not having tourist spots."

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021

Have you tried Tim Hortons? ;) Isn't it a wonder it does so well. Probably one of the most visited places in the world.o_O

Reactions: rcincanada2019

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Have you tried Tim Hortons? ;) Isn't it a wonder it does so well. Probably one of the most visited places in the world.o_O
You got me there! That is truly Canadian tourist spot, even for locals! :p

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I give up bruh! I can't don't understand the correlation between attracting lower quality immigrants and "Canada not having tourist spots."
Well, just my opinion... “One person’s meat is another person’s poison”. People immigrate for varied and personal reasons. But let’s face it, if one is younger and has a very promising career ahead of them, would they truly settle down in Canada? Not much career opportunities (subjective depending on one’s outlook) and not much place to visit locally. Throw in the extreme weather, unless you are in “warmer” places such as B.C. Much of the younger folks would prefer other places.

Again, my opinion only.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018

Well, I'd say the geographic location was a factor for me. More southern parts of Canada are close enough to equator that I don't have too much trouble with my circadian rhythms, but not so close that I would get skin cancer instantly from walking to a bakery without sunscreen.
I had some extended beach vacations in tropics a few years ago, and I realized that it wouldn't be very healthy for me to live in a place like this permanently.

Also, it is not unbearably hot, though I realized that the summers here can be as oppressive as in southern Europe. I expected a lot cooler weather, so that's a bit of disappointment.
I guess my expectations were a bit wrong: it turned out that both Toronto and Montreal don't actually have a great climate.
Toronto has pretty nasty and windy winters, but the snow won't stick around, most of the time it is gone in a few days. In Montreal there are only a few weeks a year when it is not very hot or very cold. At least you can entertain yourself with skating and skiing, so that's one point over Toronto.
But I did pick Canada because I was hoping for not very hot summers (20-25 would be great) and some snow in winter, but without -40 please.
There are places like this in northern Europe, but they are closer to latitude 60 and tend to get super cloudy. I like having the light and the sun even in winter. Southern hemisphere also doesn't give you many options for this, and they are not heavily populated.

Another thing is that many places with nice weather have unstable dictatorships as their governments, and that can get very scary at any time. Plus poverty and crime issues. Settling permanently in a place like this doesn't feel great.

For major tourist spots, google something like "canada must see". I'd say a lot of these places are worth a visit, especially if you're already here. Many Americans travel here to see them. Not sure if there are that many tourists from outside North America though.

Reactions: Mounat

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I drove from Ottawa to Victoria in 1992 in a two-door, 1983 Nissan Sentra. It took me 3 weeks to get there as I was not in a hurry. Canada is as enormous as it is gorgeous. Over the decades, I've been to most "tourist" spots in Quebec, Southern Ontario, and BC. Never been to Atlantic Canada but I'm sure it's glorious as well.

It depends on what you are looking for in a tourist spot. Is it a beach? Water falls? Woods? Lakes? Rivers? Flat-lands? Mountains? Canada has it all. And it also depends on what activities you want to do. Is it skiing? Water sports? Hiking? Breath taking views? Food? Cultural events?

You'd definitely need a lot of time and lot of money to visit all the cool things Canada has to offer.

Reactions: IPULL

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
I drove from Ottawa to Victoria in 1992 in a two-door, 1983 Nissan Sentra. It took me 3 weeks to get there as I was not in a hurry. Canada is as enormous as it is gorgeous. Over the decades, I've been to most "tourist" spots in Quebec, Southern Ontario, and BC. Never been to Atlantic Canada but I'm sure it's glorious as well.

It depends on what you are looking for in a tourist spot. Is it a beach? Water falls? Woods? Lakes? Rivers? Flat-lands? Mountains? Canada has it all. And it also depends on what activities you want to do. Is it skiing? Water sports? Hiking? Breath taking views? Food? Cultural events?

You'd definitely need a lot of time and lot of money to visit all the cool things Canada has to offer.
You’ve mentioned natural landscapes and the wilds, which Canada has lots of. That’s a given and much much appreciated. But it does not have one place that equals the vibe of big cities like London, Paris or New York, or the historical and cultural riches of Italy or even India. We can be grateful though that it has something, which is its exciting choice of wild landscapes.
What I suppose the original poster meant was that Canada lacks the cultural, human richness of those places I mentioned above.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
You’ve mentioned natural landscapes and the wilds, which Canada has lots of. That’s a given and much much appreciated. But it does not have one place that equals the vibe of big cities like London, Paris or New York, or the historical and cultural riches of Italy or even India. We can be grateful though that it has something, which is its exciting choice of wild landscapes.
What I suppose the original poster meant was that Canada lacks the cultural, human richness of those places I mentioned above.
True. It's kind of unfair, though, to compare Canada to countries that have existed for many hundreds, if not thousands, of years. The population is small but the land is big. Is a tourist attraction a Ferris wheel? A castle? Cities of 10+ million people? The original question was so broad that almost anything would qualify as an answer. And I disagree that Canada lacks any cultural or human richness. It has plenty of that. But I get what you're saying.

Reactions: canuck78 and IPULL

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
True. It's kind of unfair, though, to compare Canada to countries that have existed for many hundreds, if not thousands, of years. The population is small but the land is big. Is a tourist attraction a Ferris wheel? A castle? Cities of 10+ million people? The original question was so broad that almost anything would qualify as an answer. And I disagree that Canada lacks any cultural or human richness. It has plenty of that. But I get what you're saying.
Canada has existed for thousands of years. That's not the point. It's the premium one pays for living here. It's as high as many of the places I mentioned above.
Yes, a tourist(human) attraction is a Ferris wheel, a castle, a pyramid, a historical place with a millennia of history, a painting that fills the hearts of people who watch it with a 'feeling', that not other thing will fill, it is the homogeneousness of a place like Rome, Tokyo or Bali or the eclectic richness of the deep deep south of States, its the encouragement to be entrepreneurial that California offers. Canada lacks that. Canada does not lack diversity, but it does lack 'that' human culture, which at best is still formative. The point is, we all immigrate here, pay heavy taxes, pay heavy rents(comparable to London or Paris in some cases) or mortgage and decide to live here instead of another place(there's a great opportunity cost of a life lived). We give this place lots, our lives, and should expect more, especially for how the cities are developed, how their inner cultures are fostered and how young people are given more opportunities. It's not just about the touristy aspect, the argument is bigger, it's the the cultural richness that this place need to develop. And it can be done, but we need to expect more of our chosen place, Canada. Right now, it's lacking and behind, by a many a mile.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada has existed for thousands of years. That's not the point. It's the premium one pays for living here. It's as high as many of the places I mentioned above.
Yes, a tourist(human) attraction is a Ferris wheel, a castle, a pyramid, a historical place with a millennia of history, a painting that fills the hearts of people who watch it with a 'feeling', that not other thing will fill, it is the homogeneousness of a place like Rome, Tokyo or Bali or the eclectic richness of the deep deep south of States, its the encouragement to be entrepreneurial that California offers. Canada lacks that. Canada does not lack diversity, but it does lack 'that' human culture, which at best is still formative. The point is, we all immigrate here, pay heavy taxes, pay heavy rents(comparable to London or Paris in some cases) or mortgage and decide to live here instead of another place(there's a great opportunity cost of a life lived). We give this place lots, our lives, and should expect more, especially for how the cities are developed, how their inner cultures are fostered and how young people are given more opportunities. It's not just about the touristy aspect, the argument is bigger, it's the the cultural richness that this place need to develop. And it can be done, but we need to expect more of our chosen place, Canada. Right now, it's lacking and behind, by a many a mile.
You forgot Hong Kong. The premium is even higher. Most people live in tiny homes. There are not many places to explore.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I disagree that Canada doesn’t have anything to offer for tourists. Granted I haven’t been to Tokyo, Bali, etc. but I’ve travelled extensively all over Europe. From Lofoten I Norway to Canary Islands. From Dublin in the west to eastern Slovakia. I know Germany like the back of my hand. Prague is stunning. Rome and Paris are overrated. I’ve visited Verona several times and would go back to Venice in a heartbeat. My favourite seafood restaurant is in Barcelona.

I find LA overrated (although Amoeba is THE best record store on the planet!), Orlando is “meh”, cape Canaveral is amazing, love New York, and Las Vegas.

Yet, east coast Canada is like Scandinavian coast line (from what I can tell from photos), ROM is like Natural History Museum in London, and then some. Flown over the Canadian Rockies and US Rockies. Canadian side beats it hands down.
Burk Dubai is not ancient history. It’s a relatively new building.

There are cave drawings here too. Ancient history. Remnants of Viking as well as Ancient Greek explorers, indigenous history, large amount of findings of dinosaurs, and so on.

cultural? Tons of internationally known music artists. Tons of Hollywood stars are Canadian. In fact, a large amount of what we see on TV and in the cinemas, are filmed in Canada. Toronto often doubles as New York, Chicago, even as European cities.
Blog TO just recently had an article about historical places/towns to see in ontario, such as Paris, Goderich, Fergus, etc.

As a “western” country, Canada is young. But it has ancient history. Unfortunately westerners tried to squash the indigenous culture for more than a hundred years. That’s something it is now trying to rectify.

if we compare North America to Europe, all the tourist trap findings are on site. Canary Islands is to Europe what the Caribbean is to North America.