+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I requested paper certificate but they are offering e-certificate instead?

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
I just got an e-mail from the IRCC saying "You have indicated that you would like to receive your citizenship certificate in an electronic
format" when in fact (I double checked) I asked for a paper certificate. My ceremony is next Friday on the 1st. How do I indicate that I asked for a paper certificate and will this mess anything up?

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
I just got an e-mail from the IRCC saying "You have indicated that you would like to receive your citizenship certificate in an electronic
format" when in fact (I double checked) I asked for a paper certificate. My ceremony is next Friday on the 1st. How do I indicate that I asked for a paper certificate and will this mess anything up?
They may be choosing to go electronic for everyone. Best not to change it.

r0tzbua

Aug 3, 2023
They send that email to (nearly) everyone no matter what you pick in the application. They still ask you in the ceremony and you can indicate you want paper.

just be aware paper cert takes around 2-4 weeks to arrive, e-certificate takes 2-5 business days.

Reactions: Sinyk

Edddies

Dec 9, 2023
I was wondering how that worked out for you? I have the same scenario where i picked paper and i received the same email. Although right now I have changed my mind and I actually want the ecertificate instead

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
I was wondering how that worked out for you? I have the same scenario where i picked paper and i received the same email. Although right now I have changed my mind and I actually want the ecertificate instead
They confirmed my selection at the ceremony and I told them I wanted a paper certificate.

And it arrived in the mail yesterday :)

Reactions: Edddies and R17

R17

Star Member
Oct 27, 2023
They confirmed my selection at the ceremony and I told them I wanted a paper certificate.

@Sinyk - perhaps you don't have this situation to be able to tell, but did they send it to the mailing address on file or the home address on file? Thanks and congrats on your citizenship!

Edddies

Dec 9, 2023

Nice, glad that worked out for you! I’m just going to ask for e-certificate on the ceremony then. Thanks and Congrats!

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
@Sinyk - perhaps you don't have this situation to be able to tell, but did they send it to the mailing address on file or the home address on file? Thanks and congrats on your citizenship!
My home address is my mailing address, so if yours are different, I couldn't tell you for sure. That said, I would wager they would mail everything to the mailing address?

Reactions: R17

R17

Star Member
Oct 27, 2023
My home address is my mailing address, so if yours are different, I couldn't tell you for sure. That said, I would wager they would mail everything to the mailing address?
@Sinyk - As a follow-up question, is the paper certificate sent just by regualr mail via Canada Post or is it certified needing a signature or done by courrier? Thanks!

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
@Sinyk - As a follow-up question, is the paper certificate sent just by regualr mail via Canada Post or is it certified needing a signature or done by courrier? Thanks!
Just regular mail. Had a big envelope sticking out of my small mailbox. Return address was IRCC with a Canadian flag so it was pretty obvious what it was.

Reactions: R17

R17

Star Member
Oct 27, 2023
Just regular mail. Had a big envelope sticking out of my small mailbox. Return address was IRCC with a Canadian flag so it was pretty obvious what it was.
Thank you for letting me know. That sounds woefully lax sending process for such an important document! Glad you had no issues and got it. How long did it take to arrive? What area are you in? Thanks so much again for answering my questions.