+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I Need Help

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Hello,

I got married to the love of my life on October 15, 2010 in Halifax Nova Scotia. The only problem is that she lives in Halifax and I live in Texas, USA.

It kills me to have to be away from her and I am trying to get to her as soon as possible. But I want to do it right and not have to ever come back once I get to her.

Currently I am hoping to move there in February (as that is about all my heart can stand to be away from her). I have talked to two different consultation firms and gotten two different answers. The first one told me that it would cost 1500 + application fees for them to help me attain a permanent residency card and that their average success rate took about 4 months (give or take some months for FBI clearance processing). The second one told me that they could get me in Halifax in 2-4 months under a spousal visa, which they said would allow me to work. The second firm also told me that I have to be in Canada for at least 3 years before I can apply for a PR card.

This confused me greatly. I could not find that anywhere on the CIC website. As far as I know you can apply for a PR card via sponsorship and it takes as long as they take to process it. Am I right about that?

My plan was to apply for a PR card via her sponsorship right now and then move to Halifax in February of next year and live off the money I have saved in my bank account until my PR card came through(which the CIC website says takes 7-8 months on average, hopefully making me get my PR card in May/June of 2011). At which point it I would start working. Is this a plausible plan?

Or would it be better for me to just move there in February and start the process from that date and file for an inland sponsorship to get my PR card?

All I have done right now is my request for FBI clearance. Which was received by the FBI on September 27, 2010.

I can't really afford to pay someone 1500-2000$ to help me file forms.

I honestly don't know what to do, all I know is that my heart can't take this for much longer. I need to be with her and she needs me by her side just as much.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
You can fill out the forms yourself. If questions, ask us. We have all filled out the forms.

You will only need to go to an immigration consultant if you had some criminal charge, kids, divorces, huge like differences e.g. age or lack of evidence to prove your relationship or got married a few weeks after meeting her that makes your case/relationship look a bit suspect.

otherwise you can fill out the forms on your own. :) Why not do an outland application?takes less time. Plus you are from a visa exempt country so thats a major plus when you need to visit her and so forth.

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
HoneyBird said:
You can fill out the forms yourself. If questions, ask us. We have all filled out the forms.

You will only need to go to an immigration consultant if you had some criminal charge, kids, divorces, huge like differences e.g. age or lack of evidence to prove your relationship or got married a few weeks after meeting her that makes your case/relationship look a bit suspect.

otherwise you can fill out the forms on your own. :) Why not do an outland application?takes less time. Plus you are from a visa exempt country so thats a major plus when you need to visit her and so forth.
Would I be able to start an outland application then go visit her until my PR card is ready? Which I am assuming I would cross back to the USA then come back over to land in Canada?

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
from what i have read here, it seems that way.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visiting-while-processing-t55805.0.html

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Excellent, it makes like so much easier when you can hear from people who have done what you are planning to do.

Thank you so much HoneyBird!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Vercetti said:
Excellent, it makes like so much easier when you can hear from people who have done what you are planning to do.

Thank you so much HoneyBird!
If you are already married get the process started ASAP via outland... you can always visit down the road...

Have you sent away for your FBI cert yet? That takes the longest.

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
heatherusa said:
If you are already married get the process started ASAP via outland... you can always visit down the road...

Have you sent away for your FBI cert yet? That takes the longest.
Yea I got delivery confirmation on September 27, 2010.

Do I need to wait for my FBI Clearance to come back to me before I submit my PR application?

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
It is best to wait for the fbi certificate before submitting the application. Buffalo has lately been misplacing FBI certs. and if you already submitted for it a month ago you should give it in about 1 more month or so. In the meantime get the medical done and the paperwork together. The paperwork if very straighforward and as others ahve said if you have any questions feel free to ask us. Also since you are from the U.S. you can "visit" you spouse while the process is being done. As a U.S. Citizen you do not need a visa to get into canada just ask at the border to stay for 6months and to get a visitor recod. Then if for some reason they are not done with your PR before 6 months you can file for an extension. There is not Need to use a lawyer and using one is just expensive and does not get your application processed any sooner. Also if you are in Canada with your spouse before you file you can still file outland through Buffalo. IT does not matter where you are living jsut where your citizenship is. So U.S. citizen means you can file outland. Inland takes forever.
FYI if you are "visiting" canada you are not allowed to work or go to school unless you file for a work or study permit, but it allows you to be with your spouse and avoid long seperation. If you have any other questions please just ask

The total for the immigration forms alone is $1040 for a spousal sponsorship
Here is a link to the forms on the CIC website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
Also a medical needs to be done before submitting you applciation costs vary depending on the dr. here is the link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp

Designated Medical Practitioners
United States of America - Texas

City Name Address Telephone Spoken Languages
Dallas Lawrence McNally American Title Bldg.,
6029 Beltline, Suite 105,
Texas,

972-385-0000

English / French
Dallas Martin McElya 5917 Beltline Road,
Texas,

972-726-6464

English / Spanish
Houston Donald S. Hanser 427 West 20th Street,
Suite 206,
Texas,

713-864-8400

English
New Braunfels Garry Moore Texas MedClinic,
958 IH 35 North,
Texas,

830-606-5533

English
Plano Yan Li 4040 McDermott Dr,
Suite 100,
Texas,

972-668-6868

Chinese / English

Make an appt as soon as possible with a DNP, but not too early the results are only vailid for 12 months

ocu_canadian

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/01/2011
Doc's Request.
none needed
AOR Received.
29/05/2011
File Transfer...
08/02/2011
Med's Done....
16/11/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11/07/11
VISA ISSUED...
12/07/11
LANDED..........
12/07/11
Vercetti said:
Would I be able to start an outland application then go visit her until my PR card is ready? Which I am assuming I would cross back to the USA then come back over to land in Canada?

Hey there,

My wife and I are going through the samething. We were married in May and have been apart since September 1st because my student visa ran out. My wife is from Indiana, I asked the same question on here last night and numerous people told me to fill out the application ourselves file for it as an outland application (Buffalo) then once we have confirmation of payment you can come visit your wife for up to 6 months. You may have to re-apply if it takes longer than 6 months to get your PR card, but everything I am reading online about the outland applications thru Buffalo is 5-7 months.

I feel your pain bud, hopefully we both get to live with our wives soon...lol..There is light at the end of the tunnel If you need anything or have questions about applying you can always message me.

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
jmni1 said:
It is best to wait for the fbi certificate before submitting the application. Buffalo has lately been misplacing FBI certs. and if you already submitted for it a month ago you should give it in about 1 more month or so. In the meantime get the medical done and the paperwork together. The paperwork if very straighforward and as others ahve said if you have any questions feel free to ask us. Also since you are from the U.S. you can "visit" you spouse while the process is being done. As a U.S. Citizen you do not need a visa to get into canada just ask at the border to stay for 6months and to get a visitor recod. Then if for some reason they are not done with your PR before 6 months you can file for an extension. There is not Need to use a lawyer and using one is just expensive and does not get your application processed any sooner. Also if you are in Canada with your spouse before you file you can still file outland through Buffalo. IT does not matter where you are living jsut where your citizenship is. So U.S. citizen means you can file outland. Inland takes forever.
FYI if you are "visiting" canada you are not allowed to work or go to school unless you file for a work or study permit, but it allows you to be with your spouse and avoid long seperation. If you have any other questions please just ask

The total for the immigration forms alone is $1040 for a spousal sponsorship
Here is a link to the forms on the CIC website.
Also a medical needs to be done before submitting you applciation costs vary depending on the dr. here is the link
Designated Medical Practitioners
United States of America - Texas

City Name Address Telephone Spoken Languages
Dallas Lawrence McNally American Title Bldg.,
6029 Beltline, Suite 105,
Texas,

972-385-0000

English / French
Dallas Martin McElya 5917 Beltline Road,
Texas,

972-726-6464

English / Spanish
Houston Donald S. Hanser 427 West 20th Street,
Suite 206,
Texas,

713-864-8400

English
New Braunfels Garry Moore Texas MedClinic,
958 IH 35 North,
Texas,

830-606-5533

English
Plano Yan Li 4040 McDermott Dr,
Suite 100,
Texas,

972-668-6868

Chinese / English

Make an appt as soon as possible with a DNP, but not too early the results are only vailid for 12 months
That is a very helpful post! Thanks! I will wait for my FBI Certificate before I send the papers to my wife to submit!

Also, do I take the medical exam before I send in the application? I thought the medical practitioner had to mail the exam results to the processing office?

ocu_canadian said:
Hey there,

My wife and I are going through the samething. We were married in May and have been apart since September 1st because my student visa ran out. My wife is from Indiana, I asked the same question on here last night and numerous people told me to fill out the application ourselves file for it as an outland application (Buffalo) then once we have confirmation of payment you can come visit your wife for up to 6 months. You may have to re-apply if it takes longer than 6 months to get your PR card, but everything I am reading online about the outland applications thru Buffalo is 5-7 months.

I feel your pain bud, hopefully we both get to live with our wives soon...lol..There is light at the end of the tunnel If you need anything or have questions about applying you can always message me.
I appreciate it. It does help a lot to know that I am not the only one dealing with the pain of separation from my wife.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Vercetti said:
That is a very helpful post! Thanks! I will wait for my FBI Certificate before I send the papers to my wife to submit!

Also, do I take the medical exam before I send in the application? I thought the medical practitioner had to mail the exam results to the processing office?

I appreciate it. It does help a lot to know that I am not the only one dealing with the pain of separation from my wife.
You MUST do the medical before the application is submitted. The doctor will send their results to Ottawa and then you will get a green receipt that you will include with your application. Use the time that it takes to get the FBI certificate to complete filling out the application and getting your medical done. Get your proof together, your pictures, letters from friends and family, emails, cards etc.

If you havent gotten your medical done at this point dont worry about whether to submit without the FBI.... only worry about whether or not to submit without the FBI certificate if you have EVERY other point done on the checklists.

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
heatherusa said:
You MUST do the medical before the application is submitted. The doctor will send their results to Ottawa and then you will get a green receipt that you will include with your application. Use the time that it takes to get the FBI certificate to complete filling out the application and getting your medical done. Get your proof together, your pictures, letters from friends and family, emails, cards etc.

If you havent gotten your medical done at this point dont worry about whether to submit without the FBI.... only worry about whether or not to submit without the FBI certificate if you have EVERY other point done on the checklists.
I plan on starting on the paperwork tomorrow morning and arranging the medical exam for sometime in the next week or two. Thank you for your advice.

Is proof of the relationship something that needs to be sent along with the application? Or is it just in case you get called in for an interview?

Also, will a bank statement showing my transactions(printed off the internet from my online banking) be sufficient proof for receipts? I buy almost everything (trips and gifts) online considering she is living in a different country and I can't hand deliver them to her all the time. We have taken 3 trips together and have lots of pictures from those trips. We do most of our talking on blackberry messenger but we do have MSN chat logs dating back from when we first met. Will this be enough?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
What I find unbelievable is the complete utter trivial the immigration consultants told you.

I have said this before, will say it again, the information available on this forum is worth a million dollars.

All you guys and gals rock!!!!

And, by the way, I agree with what everyone has advised you.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
Vercetti said:
Is proof of the relationship something that needs to be sent along with the application? Or is it just in case you get called in for an interview?

Also, will a bank statement showing my transactions(printed off the internet from my online banking) be sufficient proof for receipts? I buy almost everything (trips and gifts) online considering she is living in a different country and I can't hand deliver them to her all the time. We have taken 3 trips together and have lots of pictures from those trips. We do most of our talking on blackberry messenger but we do have MSN chat logs dating back from when we first met. Will this be enough?
The proof of relationship is one of the most important parts of the whole application. No only do you need to prove that it is a real relationship, but that you didn't enter the relationship in order to immigrate to Canada. I think most people on here will agree that was the bit that took the most time to pull together and obsessed everyone so much.

Make sure you print off all the forms and go through them, and look at the document list to see what sort of things that need sending in to help prove your relationship.