+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need advice on informing cic about my step daughter

romeoefe

May 20, 2015
Hi
Please I need to get information about how to notify CIC of my step daughter. My sister put in for MPNP for me and I have include my daughter aand husband names on the application for PR. I was not aware that I am having a step daughter so I did not include her name on the application. The mum have inform my husband but after we have summited the form to cic that the reason we did not include her name. My step daughter is now leaving with us. Can I still inform CIC at this stage because the local immigration office in Ghana just ask us for some updated documents to summit in 60days. If yes how to go about it. Please help advice .

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
romeoefe said:
Hi
Please I need to get information about how to notify CIC of my step daughter. My sister put in for MPNP for me and I have include my daughter aand husband names on the application for PR. I was not aware that I am having a step daughter so I did not include her name on the application. The mum have inform my husband but after we have summited the form to cic that the reason we did not include her name. My step daughter is now leaving with us. Can I still inform CIC at this stage because the local immigration office in Ghana just ask us for some updated documents to summit in 60days. If yes how to go about it. Please help advice .
I think you have to withdrawal your application, fix the mistake and resubmit it. If you don't include your step daughter, she will never be able to get into Canada through family sponsorship. She will have to qualify on her own, under one of their programs. I hope a senior member can confirm or deny the advice.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
saria1 said:
I think you have to withdrawal your application, fix the mistake and resubmit it. If you don't include your step daughter, she will never be able to get into Canada through family sponsorship. She will have to qualify on her own, under one of their programs. I hope a senior member can confirm or deny the advice.
Following this, the op put his/her own pr at risk due to a misrepresentation.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
DanSlh said:
Following this, the op put his/her own pr at risk due to a misrepresentation.
I would think it would be misrepresentation too. Which is why I feel she may have a chance if she completely withdraws the application and then resubmits it and starts all over.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
romeoefe said:
Hi
If you have not yet been granted PR then I would immediately send in the documents needed to add the child to your application. I would also include an explanation why the child was not previously included, be as detailed as possible so they understand that your spouse had no knowledge of the child prior to you just finding out. It is likely they will require him to get a DNA test to prove paternity. If you can get all this together along with updated documents in the time frame that your visa office has given then fantastic, if you can not, then I would be sure to send them a case specific enquiry advising them of the family change and asking for an extension so that you may complete the necessary things to add the child.

If you do not add the child she will forever be excluded from the family class and since you are well aware of her you could be charged with misrepresentation.

Good luck!

romeoefe

May 20, 2015
Thanks for all your aadvice. I and my spouse are just confused on what to do. We don't even no the office to inform presently. My spouse will not want to live outside her daughter again and the few time I have spent with her have made close to her. Please members of the forum help with advice because I don't want this to affect my marriage.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
romeoefe said:
Thanks for all your aadvice. I and my spouse are just confused on what to do. We don't even no the office to inform presently. My spouse will not want to live outside her daughter again and the few time I have spent with her have made close to her. Please members of the forum help with advice because I don't want this to affect my marriage.
Follow the advice that Alurra71 has given you...ASAP!

You MUST add her to your application.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
What country are you from? Which province will you be going to?

romeoefe

May 20, 2015
Alurra71 said:
If you have not yet been granted PR then I would immediately send in the documents needed to add the child to your application. I would also include an explanation why the child was not previously included, be as detailed as possible so they understand that your spouse had no knowledge of the child prior to you just finding out. It is likely they will require him to get a DNA test to prove paternity. If you can get all this together along with updated documents in the time frame that your visa office has given then fantastic, if you can not, then I would be sure to send them a case specific enquiry advising them of the family change and asking for an extension so that you may complete the necessary things to add the child.

If you do not add the child she will forever be excluded from the family class and since you are well aware of her you could be charged with misrepresentation.

Good luck!
Thanks. I have gone to check for the cost of the DNA but is not what my family can afford now. I don't no if they are other ways my spouse can prove that he is the father to help convince the visa office. Please help with advice

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
I would at least submit the documents and see what happens. They may not require a DNA test.

From OP1:
Children of unmarried parents
Children of unmarried parents may be sponsored by either parent. They may also be
accompanying family members of either parent.
In some circumstances, children born to unmarried parents may be unable to obtain standard
proof of their relationship to their parents. Where this is this case, officers may consider
documents that corroborate the claimed relationship.
These documents include the following:
 school records identifying the parent;
 proof of long-term support by the parent, such as money order receipts or income tax
statements listing the applicant or accompanying child as a dependant;
 affidavits from prominent citizens attesting to their knowledge of the child's paternity or
maternity from birth.
An affidavit may be sufficient as well. You will need a solicitor to notarize the affidavit, this would be especially helpful if it came from a doctor or someone who knows both families. Not a guarentee this will be sufficient, they may still require DNA.

Here is the section on DNA:

5.11. DNA results
In a standard, direct paternity or maternity test involving an alleged parent/child relationship, the
DNA companies listed in Appendix E are to provide test results that are at least 99.8% certain.
Paternity test results below this level are not acceptable.
If a DNA test result is presented as evidence of a relationship, officers must ensure the integrity of
the testing procedure. As this test is offered in cases in which there are already doubts about
claimed relationships, any possibility of fraud must be eliminated.
For more information, see:
 DNA tests, section 13;
 Procedures for DNA testing, section 14.
5.12. DNA test request letter and DNA companies
A number of laboratories have been accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) for
DNA testing. See Appendix E for a list of these accredited laboratories.
Note: CIC does not have the authority to direct clients to choose one laboratory over another.

Officers should provide applicants with information that will allow them to make an informed
decision about the testing laboratory they choose and whether to undergo DNA testing or not. See
section 13, DNA tests, for the information that is to be provided to applicants, Appendix D for the
DNA test request letter and Appendix E for the list of accredited testing companies.
So DNA is only required where it is doubting the relationship of the child it appears. You will get a letter if it is required.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
Also, the DNA procudures:

Procedure: DNA testing
Parentage tests should, whenever possible, involve samples of genetic material from both parents
and from the child(ren). If there is no possibility of obtaining samples from both parents, tests of
samples from one parent (either father or mother) and the child(ren) are acceptable.
The laboratories listed in Appendix E will forward a tamper-proof sampling kit (including
instructions) to the client or the visa office (depending on the preference of the visa office). Some
visa offices stockpile kits and distribute them on notification from the listed laboratory. The kit is
self-contained with everything necessary to take, pack and ship a sample. It also includes
instructions for applicants and visa office staff witnessing sample taking. Following these
instructions ensures the reliability of results from the sample.
OP 1 Procedures
2013-11-18 42
Officers are responsible for assuring local sample taking arrangements are tamper-proof.
Immigration medical officers will identify suitable laboratories or itinerant medical personnel able
and willing to take samples.
The following steps must be followed when samples for DNA testing are taken:
 Provide clients with the names and addresses of the laboratories listed in Appendix E.
Applicants, their sponsors or representatives are responsible for choosing a laboratory.
 Inform applicants of when and where they must give a sample. Applicants must provide two
recent photos (passport size and quality). The photos form part of the documentation shipped
with the sample blood.
 Applicants must also present documents to establish the identity they claim.
 An officer or other visa office official who has to be present when the sample is collected
must:
 ensure the person giving the sample is the applicant and the person identified in the
sampling kit;
 verify that the sample kit has not been tampered with and complete the chain of custody
documents for the sample (or witness their completion);
 package the sample and documentation according to instructions in the kit;
 forward the package to the laboratory by the fastest, most reliable means possible.
Ideally, no more than seven (7) days should elapse between the sample taking and
receipt by the laboratory. Normally, private courier services, paid by the applicant, can
deliver samples within this deadline.

Also, if money is a concern, you may want to see if your sister would be willing to assist you as she is sponsoring you for MPNP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
romeoefe said:
Thanks. I have gone to check for the cost of the DNA but is not what my family can afford now. I don't no if they are other ways my spouse can prove that he is the father to help convince the visa office. Please help with advice
You have already been told what to do. Add the child to the application. CIC may or may not request a DNA test; if they do request the test, you will need to get the money from somewhere because there is no alternative to it.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, don't worry about a possible DNA test now. Add the child to the application. The proof you offer may be enough for the visa office. If they want a DNA test, they will tell you later.

romeoefe

May 20, 2015
canadianwoman said:
Yes, don't worry about a possible DNA test now. Add the child to the application. The proof you offer may be enough for the visa office. If they want a DNA test, they will tell you later.
Thanks to all members for the advice