+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need advice for working in Canada.

sfiridis

Sep 30, 2013
Hello , my name is Vasileios Sfyridis, I'm 24 years old and I live in Greece. I work for a construction company of all types of roof and I'm in the company a total of 5+ years. In these five years I have been assigned many competencies and responsibilities which I have undertaken and I perform without problem. Right now I am responsible for a team of 3 people and I have a lot of experience for my age.

The past two months I attempt to move to Alberta and I have sent e-mails with my resume in many companies. Although I overstock the requirements for the positions, until now I have not received answers, either positive or negative.

I'm disappointed because I feel that my efforts are not rewarded. I have the best intentions and I have done all papers to be legal worker in Canada the one thing where missing is a job contract from a company.

Hoping for an answer from someone who knows these issues, I ask the following questions.

-The Canadians employers turn down directly foreign workers?
-Is it because the coming winter season?
- Which is the appropriate period to look for work in Canada?
- Is there a possibility in some of the ads I've sent e-mail, positions have been covered and has not renewed the advertisment?
- It's something else I need to do and I haven't done so far?

Would be greatly assisted me in answering these questions, thank you very much in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The reason why employers are turning down your application is because it is costly and time consuming for them to hire you.

In order to hire a foreign worker, a Canadian employer must first prove that they advertised the job and count not find a Canadian to fill the role. They must try for several weeks to hire a Canadian. Once this have done this, they must submit an application for a Labour Market Opinion (this is the request to hire a foreign worker). It costs several hundred dollars for the employer to submit the LMO and they must provide quite a bit of documentation, including proof that a Canadian could not be hired for the role. It usually takes several months for the LMO to be processed. If the LMO is approved (not all are approved), you can then apply for a work permit. Your work permit application will likely take another few months. If your work permit is approved (not all are approved), you can then come to Canada and start working.

As you can hopefully see from the above, it take a lot of time, money and paperwork for an employer to be able to hire you - and there is no guarantee you will be approved at the end of it all. This is why many/most Canadian employers are only interested in hiring those who can already legally work in Canada.

There is not much more you can do other than continuing to apply and hoping you get lucky and find an employer who is willing to go through the process to hire you.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
As a greek citizen up to the age of 35 you qualify for an open work permit under the IEC.
It's an open work permit ( not bound to a specific employer ) and usually valid for 12 months.
It's a pretty simple application and not very expensive.
And this option does NOT require a LMO or contract with an employer in Canada.

More information here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/greece-grece/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx

And with questions related to the IEC program refer to this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/iec-2014-international-experience-canada-t163934.0.html

Hope this helps.

sfiridis

Sep 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your help.
Especially the solution of IEC program are very encouraging.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sfiridis said:
Thank you very much for your help.
Especially the solution of IEC program are very encouraging.
Ya man, absolutely!! Check back in if you have more questions.

ajay93

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi sfiridis ,do you just want to work in canada or want to immigrate .
Because there are diferente categories that you can work in canada with job offers in differernt proviences.
Not Always you find your job in the provience that you want.
There are employers that hire & do the process for the employee. Either With Help of A representative or By your self.
Hope this helps you to understand .
Best of luck. :)

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
ajay93 said:
Hi sfiridis ,do you just want to work in canada or want to immigrate .
Because there are diferente categories that you can work in canada with job offers in differernt proviences.
Not Always you find your job in the provience that you want.
There are employers that hire & do the process for the employee. Either With Help of A representative or By your self.
Hope this helps you to understand .
Best of luck. :)
And like he said, he doesn't have one. So the IEC visa is his best bet and the easiest way.

sfiridis

Sep 30, 2013
Hello guys . I would like to apologize for the delay to respond to the forum but the reason is because I have not often available internet .

The plan is, Ι go to Canada and be perfectly legal , so I can apply for permanent residence. I do not believe in the use of representative and try it myself. I have the best intentions and I really want to go , but no response. I'm looking for a job in Alberta for now.

-The IEC program is the best way for my case?
-When I apply for open permit with the IEC program and find a job there, if the employer wants to keep me what I do? In order to realize my plan...

Thank you all for your interest.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sfiridis said:
Hello guys . I would like to apologize for the delay to respond to the forum but the reason is because I have not often available internet .

The plan is, Ι go to Canada and be perfectly legal , so I can apply for permanent residence. I do not believe in the use of representative and try it myself. I have the best intentions and I really want to go , but no response. I'm looking for a job in Alberta for now.

-The IEC program is the best way for my case?
-When I apply for open permit with the IEC program and find a job there, if the employer wants to keep me what I do? In order to realize my plan...

Thank you all for your interest.
What I did is I applied for the open work permit, came to Canada, looked for an employer.
Started working, once I came close to the expiry date of my open work permit, I applied for a second
IEC visa, this time under the young professional category. Gained my 12 months of full-time work experience
and have no applied for permanent residency.

So yes, the IEC working holiday visa is a good, cheap and easy start to get you to Canada, allowing you to
work for any employer for up to 12 months.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
And sfiridis, one thing you need to know is that in Alberta you have to have safety tickets to work in construction. Some of these can be done in the Internet, some have to be done in person. For working in construction or carpentry, it is absolutely necessary to have CSTS ($65, I think), and there are others to consider, like Fall Protection or Confined Spaces or Standard First Aid. These don't exist in other parts of Canada, but in Alberta you have to have CSTS just to walk onto a construction site.

http://www.acsa-safety.org/page.php?s=3&p=14

sfiridis

Sep 30, 2013
Hello guys, I want to ask a question for the 'working holiday visa' because the web-site of embassy does not clear.

-When I get a visa and go to Canada, I need lmo or only the job offer?

And one more thing from your experience, the program for applications of 2014 opens 01-01 or december to the end?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sfiridis said:
Hello guys, I want to ask a question for the 'working holiday visa' because the web-site of embassy does not clear.

-When I get a visa and go to Canada, I need lmo or only the job offer?

And one more thing from your experience, the program for applications of 2014 opens 01-01 or december to the end?
You don't need ANYTHING for the working holiday visa ( WHP ) under the IEC class. No job offer and no LMO.
The program start, according to IEC websites, is late november and the program will be opened until they reach
the quota for visas.

More information here: http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/intro_incoming-intro_entrant.aspx?lang=eng&view=d