+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need a job in Canada & any advice on police jobs please.

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Hi

I want to know how I can get a job in Canada. I do not qualify to be a skilled worker, however I do have a Honours degree in police criminal investigation & have over 5 years of customer services experience as well as hotel experience. Is it possible for someone like me to get a job offer from an employer in canada. As anyone else in my position been able to get a job offer like this?

I also want to join the vancouver police department or any police department infact in canada. If I go to canada on a temp work visa I am able to apply even if the criteria is that I should be a permanent resident. Am I able to say to the police force that my residency is in the process whilst they give me a working visa & then after 2 years of this I could apply for residency?

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Police usually work for the provincial or city governments. They are very unlikely to give work permits to non-residents and they are unlikely to recognize foreign criminal justice degrees because being a cop requires you to be familiar with canadian law. Many departments require their police to be citizens only due to the fact that they sometimes handle private information pertaining to national security.

According to my friend, who is currently in college to become a police officer, to become a cop you will need to go through police academy training, where you are required to go through physical as well as intellectual tests and training, regardless of your qualifications. Advance degrees could possibly put you on the fast track to higher rank jobs, but you will still need to start off from scratch by working as a beat cop. You might want to consider police training diploma programs such as http://www.mtroyal.ca/programscourses/continuingeducation/justicepolice/policestudies/ or degree programs such as these http://www.ufv.ca/criminology/Programs/Bachelor_of_General_Studies__Police_Option__Degree.htm . Many police departments also have an age limit for joining the academy.