+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I lost my old passport/.. what should i do

mlp

Jan 11, 2015
I checked my application status for citizenship and its already in edmonton .. waiting for the exam schedule .. but the thing i lost my old passport :( .. can i still take an exam? that passport expired last march 2012 ..

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mlp said:
I checked my application status for citizenship and its already in edmonton .. waiting for the exam schedule .. but the thing i lost my old passport :( .. can i still take an exam? that passport expired last march 2012 ..
yes, you can.. but most probably you ill get RQ because you have lost your passport... same thing happened to a friend of mine, she got RQ'ed and now she has been waiting for 3 years for her Citizenship.. good luck,

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mlp said:
Do you atleast have a fully scanned copy of the passport?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, there seems to be a correlation between lost passports and exceptionally long waits for citizenship.

It would be wise to be prepared for an RQ and fingerprint requests as well.

From the CIC's perspective, passports are primary proof of an applicant's status in their home country, in other countries and in Canada. How much did they travel? Have they been barred from ever returning to certain countries? Have they been refused entry to Canada in the past? Do the stamps on their passport correspond with their declarations? Are they trying to hide evidence of a secret work visa in the UAE? Was their passport revoked by their home country because of something terrible? Was the lost passport later sold on the black market?

Yes, there are other ways to verify identity and travel, but none are quite so primary as the passport. None hold as much weight.

Of course, it's far more likely that the applicant just had their passport stolen or dropped it by mistake like so many tourists and travelers before. But, a very few applicants might declare their passport lost in order to hide evidence of misrepresentation or criminality or inconvenient facts. It's hard for the CIC to tell the difference between the honest passport-losers and the dishonest passport-losers, so, from what I can tell, the CIC seems to try to use time to sort out the difference between the honest and dishonest. This allows them to see if any criminality comes up or any problems meeting the PR residency obligation, or if any other (presumably sketchy) people show up with your name and your old passport.

Sorry not to have good news. If there's any chance you could find your passport, it's worth turning your house upside down. If it's gone for good, it would be best to prepare yourself for a long-haul citizenship process and hopefully you will be surprised by a process that's not quite as long as you might fear.

Good luck.

mlp

Jan 11, 2015
sorry what is RQ? i think i have a scanned copy./.
\. i moved house last Jan 1 .. and until now i keep searching my passport . but that passport is expired since 2012 and all my travel stamped is on my new one..

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mlp said:
all my travel stamped is on my new one..
The issue is that you've lost the proof of that. You may know that there was nothing of interest and no relevant travel in your old passport, but you don't have any proof of that since you've lost that passport.

Now CIC has to weigh that possibility that there might have been something EXTREMELY interesting in that passport. And they seem to use time as the tool to check.

If it's lost for reals, you've got to report it to the police and your embassy.

mlp

Jan 11, 2015
thank you i will do that .. police report and i will also call our immigration. thank you for your advice.. and i will still look for it.. . :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have a scan or photocopy of every page of the passport you lost - then you should be fine. Otherwise I agree with everyone else - there's a good chance you'll end up with the RQ.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Even if you have scanned photocopies of the old passport, it can still cause issues because CIC would not be able to confirm that the copies you had scanned had all the stamps on it or not.
They can very well suspect that passport was scanned before a travel was done.

Example:

Your passport expired in DEC 2012

You scanned the copy of my passport in JAN 2012

You made a travel in MARCH, APRIL, MAY 2012.

Passport was lost in FEB 2013

Now if you send the scanned copy of the passport which was scanned in JAN 2012, it would be missing the stamps for MARCH, APRIL, MAY 2012. You need to make sure to provide CIC with the details about the travel done during MARCH, APRIL, MAY. If not, then it can cause lenghty delays with your application.

humdrumm

Jan 11, 2015
I'm in the same boat, although there was only one travel on the passport. When I submitted my application, I did provide them with a photocopy of the police report. Should I bring flight ticket/boarding pass to my interview? Do you think the fact that I am enrolled in school for the school year following my travel (and I did provide them with the transcript) lessens the doubt?

Thanks so much.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing you can do but to rely on other documents to proof your residency whenever a passport lost/missing issues. Even that passport is outside four year of residency period, still CIC officer might want to see that just for their own satisfaction. But when the lost passport is inside four year period that is critical and will be hard to convince officer during interview and avoid RQ. Even genuine lost brings many doubts in officers mind..

As there is many fraud and cheating has taken place in past and many of them are passport related. Only passport and travel stamps along with CBSA report is key proof for residency while all other is 2ndary..

In fact one should consider loosing passport is extremely unfortunate event in citizenship journey. But that is not end of everything. Sometime you never know a liberal/good mood officer may weigh the applicant's other factors like as: age, marrital status, family members/kids living with applicant, other socio/economical ties, countries traveled etc and accept police report as evidence and give applicant benefit of doubt..

But even a RQ is issued after test for missing passport, may still process in few months like other RQ (issued not for passport lost) while lots of other evidence will be with RQ to satisfy CIC and eliminate whatever doubts may have..

mlp

Jan 11, 2015
Done my test this morning in edmonton

Can I ask someone-- done with my exam and I passed the Exam.. But in the interview he has lots of questions and asking about my present job and he said he might ask for some pay stubs . Said someone experience this? Am I under non-routine now that needs to wait for 36 months ?

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
Re: Done my test this morning in edmonton

mlp said:
Can I ask someone-- done with my exam and I passed the Exam.. But in the interview he has lots of questions and asking about my present job and he said he might ask for some pay stubs . Said someone experience this? Am I under non-routine now that needs to wait for 36 months ?
Not yet. They will run a check in all your documents now. If you get an RQ (or that other question form call CIT something), than you will be considered non-routine. Fingers crossed.