+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I Have Some Questions...

Mona36

Aug 2, 2007
Sorry if this is in the wrong category. I want to move to Canada from New Jersey, USA. But I am not legal in the US... do I need my visa to move there? I am from Poland and my visa expired.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Mona36 said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong category. I want to move to Canada from New Jersey, USA. But I am not legal in the US... do I need my visa to move there? I am from Poland and my visa expired.
It is possible that you are in the wrong forum, as the admin seemed to be re-assigning posts from this forum to other forums; however, to answer your concern:

Canadian Law says, You [MUST] have been lawfully admitted into the United States for a period of at least one year.

So, the question is, for how long was your initial visa issued to you? If you had a visa that allowed you to stay in the U.S. for 1 year or more such as H1B, J1 visas, and the like, then yes you are eligible.

If your visa was issued to you for 6 months and then you applied for extension(s), and if the initial visa plus any granted extension stays adds up to 12 months or more, then yes - you are eligible.

However, I am not a Canadian Lawyer, nor am I holding myself out to be a lawyer; so, please consult with a Canadian Lawyer on this. Usually, their consultation fees start from a $100 CDN. You can call the lawyers at Canadavisa.com in Montreal.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Mona36 said:
I forgot to mention that when you call the lawyers at Canadavisa.com, you can always ask your question first, and see if you will be given an answer.

The law firm has a toll-free number for potential applicants calling from within the United States. Please visit the home page of the website for that information.