+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have PR, can I move from my LMIA job? (Didn't get PR through this)

IHM11

Mar 23, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am now a Permanent Resident but I wanted to see whether I can move jobs or if am still obligated to my employer.

- I was on an open work permit and applied for Permanent Residency through my Common-Law partner
- I lost my status while waiting for the PR application so my employer Sponsored me through an LMIA exemption (On the LMIA permit, it said valid until 2023)
- I have now been granted Permanent Residency via Common-Law not through work

Can I now change employers or do I have to stay with this employer until the end of my LMIA permit date in 2023?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I am now a Permanent Resident but I wanted to see whether I can move jobs or if am still obligated to my employer.

- I was on an open work permit and applied for Permanent Residency through my Common-Law partner
- I lost my status while waiting for the PR application so my employer Sponsored me through an LMIA exemption (On the LMIA permit, it said valid until 2023)

Can I now change employers or do I have to stay with this employer until the end of my LMIA permit date in 2023?

Thanks!
You can change employers. As a PR, you can work for any employer.

Reactions: IHM11

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
1. As a PR you can work for anyone you like. You are no longer tied to an employer.