+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have my valid PGWP but I'm outside Canada at the moment - want to return but student visa expiring soon - HELP

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
Hey guys, i was an international student and graduated in December 2018,
Got my post graduate work permit and is valid till 2022.
After getting my pgwp i went back to my country and im here since more than 6 months but i plan on coming back to Canada in October 2020 but My student visa is valid till August 2020.
so my question is, what visa do i need to apply now if i will come in october? can i apply from my country or do i need to come back to Canada before my student visa expires and then apply for new visa? please help me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You have a PGWP so the study permit is no longer relevant with an open work permit. All you need to travel back as well as your PGWP/Passport is a valid TRV or if visa exempt a valid ETA

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
You have a PGWP so the study permit is no longer relevant with an open work permit. All you need to travel back as well as your PGWP/Passport is a valid TRV or if visa exempt a valid ETA
but my TRV is getting expired in August, to enter Canada again do i need to apply for visitor visa from my country ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Is that not what I said ?

All you need to travel back as well as your PGWP/Passport is a valid TRV or if visa exempt a valid ETA .

You need a valid TRV to travel back so you apply for one on basis you have a valid PGWP, as yiou are outside Canada you apply from outside same as if you were in canada you apply from inside.. It is not just about entering Canada with a valid TRV you cannot board a plane without one. A PGWP is not a travel document it just gives you a reason to be in Canada

Apply in next few months rather than leave until last minute.

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
Is that not what I said ?

All you need to travel back as well as your PGWP/Passport is a valid TRV or if visa exempt a valid ETA .

You need a valid TRV to travel back so you apply for one on basis you have a valid PGWP, as yiou are outside Canada you apply from outside same as if you were in canada you apply from inside.. It is not just about entering Canada with a valid TRV you cannot board a plane without one. A PGWP is not a travel document it just gives you a reason to be in Canada

Apply in next few months rather than leave until last minute.