+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have my COPR, now what?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perkles said:
...and what is a B4?... :eek: I read a few pages of your links, is this some type of form to claim goods upon entry into Canada?...wonderful, more forms..lol.

My wife's goods are confined to a few suitcases...no vehicles, appliances or shipped goods like that. Will she still need some kind of form?...and where would I find such forms?...ah, CIC...good times.
Then she should be able to fill it in very quickly. Just list the number of goods she is going back to collect (and any other things she has owned, used, and possessed that she's planning to bring on any future trips either herself or by a shipping company or by friends/family) and fill it in (you can even group items by category like clothes, kitchen utensils, etc). For any jewelry include a photo (don't forget wedding bands!) and for any electronics the make, model and serial number.

I linked to the forms in my post above but so you have them openly to cut and paste
B4 - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf
B4A - (continuation of B4 if you need it) http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4a.pdf

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Perkles said:
...and what is a B4?... :eek: I read a few pages of your links, is this some type of form to claim goods upon entry into Canada?...wonderful, more forms..lol.

My wife's goods are confined to a few suitcases...no vehicles, appliances or shipped goods like that. Will she still need some kind of form?...and where would I find such forms?...ah, CIC...good times.
IF everything she has is already in Canada, then no need for it. If she will be returning after being home and coming back with more things, then you should make a list ( as B4, see the previous link) and have it stamped at the same time as landing, so she can bring things tax free next time she travels.

Now - if she only has 2 suitcases ( which is usually what is allowed by an airline), there is probably no need to declare it. If she will be travelling with more, it's worth doing the whole process so that she doesn't come into any trouble next time she comes back, with many suitcases etc. - otherwise she might have to pay taxes on things she is taking with her over the border.
Good luck,
Sweden

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Please note, you SHOULD NOT show your CoPR to the airline desk in her home country. They most likely do not know what a CoPR is, they are only trained to recognize a PR card. They will not be able to access any online system in Canada that shows she is a landed PR, plus the CoPR has 'not valid for travel' stamped on it. If you try to show the CoPR in her home country and insist she is a PR, that is opening a whole bunch of trouble. You need to make sure she is travelling as a tourist only in her home country, and not mention the PR issue at all.

The CoPR can ONLY be used once back in Canada.
Copy that, I will inform her to not show the CoPR until she gets to Canada customs. After reading through the other posts, that makes sense to me. She'll just say she's a tourist and I doubt they'll say anything, just like last time...although they did mention about what you describe, but if they request a return ticket then I guess she'll have to explain a little more. Although you'd think that they would understand what a completed CoPR form is, it's not all that different in concept from a PR card. I think it would depend on the airline...perhaps some are more picky (or understanding) than others.

Thanks again!

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Happy Holidays, all!

I have a big question, and time is not on my side. My wife and I are planning to get her CoPR signed at the US/Canadain border south of Vancouver BC...as described in the above posts.

I tried to get a hold of someone at the border today, but unfortunately I think it's holiday hours so I couldn't get a hold of anyone. After doing some more research online, I'm a bit worried now that I read some more things.

In order for her to get the CoPR stamped, I thought we'd just go to the border, find the immigration services section, walk in and they'd stamp it. But after reading a post on the CIC website, it says that if we're already in Canada and want to get it stamped at the border, that technically she has to 'exit' Canada (crossing into the US, I guess) even for 5 minutes in order for her to 're-enter'.

The problem is that while she doesn't require a travel visa to enter Canada (she's visa-exempt), she actually DOES require a travel visa to enter the USA...so, are our plans shot? I'm not quite sure...I thought perhaps we could maybe even just go to the airport itself to get the CoPR signed (is that even possible, if she's not 'arriving' into the airport?).

If she can't be admitted into the US, does this mean we're wasting our time even trying? Getting a travel visa at this stage would be kinda long, I think...but we didn't expect her CoPR to be approved so quickly, but I guess we were lucky in the first place.

Just when I thought it was all smooth sailing, lol!...can anybody speak to this? Thanks very much, and again: happy holidays!

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Sweden said:
I'm in BC as well. The officer will give you the COPR signed ( the one without the picture, he will keep the one with the picture to issue the PR card, it will take about 2 months to arrive), and with that and her passport, your wife can go to any Service Canada office, and get her SIN ( it takes 10 min). The SIN card will come 10 days later to your address, but she will get a paper with the actual number, so if she needs to work, she'll be fine.
She can open a bank account with the copy of COPR ( + ID forms, ask the bank in advance). There are deals for new immigrants where you can get free banking for a year...
For MSP - I'm still in the middle of that, but it seems that if you are a resident of BC, you can add her already to your MSP, without waiting for the "3 months" period ( in BC it's actually 2 months + the remaining of the month when she lands).
if your MSP coverage is still current, you can go to the website and fill out the "MSP Account Change" form, adding her as spouse (applies to common-law as well). This will give her coverage as soon as it is processed, no 3 month waiting period - that's what I have been told, not sure it actually works, but worth a try.
Good luck, and congrats on getting it done!
Sweden
Sweden, could you take a look at my previous post and tell me what I can expect at the Canadian border?...and which border did you cross, the one in Whiterock (Douglas Crossing) or the Pacific (the 'truck' crossing)...I was just there last year but wasn't driving so I can't even remember...lol.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
Happy Holidays, all!

I have a big question, and time is not on my side. My wife and I are planning to get her CoPR signed at the US/Canadain border south of Vancouver BC...as described in the above posts.

I tried to get a hold of someone at the border today, but unfortunately I think it's holiday hours so I couldn't get a hold of anyone. After doing some more research online, I'm a bit worried now that I read some more things.

In order for her to get the CoPR stamped, I thought we'd just go to the border, find the immigration services section, walk in and they'd stamp it. But after reading a post on the CIC website, it says that if we're already in Canada and want to get it stamped at the border, that technically she has to 'exit' Canada (crossing into the US, I guess) even for 5 minutes in order for her to 're-enter'.

The problem is that while she doesn't require a travel visa to enter Canada (she's visa-exempt), she actually DOES require a travel visa to enter the USA...so, are our plans shot? I'm not quite sure...I thought perhaps we could maybe even just go to the airport itself to get the CoPR signed (is that even possible, if she's not 'arriving' into the airport?).

If she can't be admitted into the US, does this mean we're wasting our time even trying? Getting a travel visa at this stage would be kinda long, I think...but we didn't expect her CoPR to be approved so quickly, but I guess we were lucky in the first place.

Just when I thought it was all smooth sailing, lol!...can anybody speak to this? Thanks very much, and again: happy holidays!
Yes technically you need to actually enter the USA, and then re-enter Canada. However there should be no issues at all.

Since she is from a visa-exempt country, most likely you don't need a special visa to enter the USA. So you can just get a quick USA tourist visa on the spot at the USA border, then go right back to Canada to do the landing.

If you can't get a US visa, then all you need to do is tell the US side when you arrive, that you are just crossing for the sake of doing a flagpole immigration landing and want to go right back to the Canadian side. This is very common and they will give you a form or stamp called something like "denied/refused entry due to administrative". Then you can just head back to the Canada side to do your landing. The denied entry will have NO impact on future visits to US, so don't need to worry at all.

Also as far as i know you can only do this at a LAND border crossing. You can't just walk into any airport off the street and expect to land. I think someone mentioned some airports you are able to do it, but its only specific ones so make sure to get confirmation first.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Perkles said:
Sweden, could you take a look at my previous post and tell me what I can expect at the Canadian border?...and which border did you cross, the one in Whiterock (Douglas Crossing) or the Pacific (the 'truck' crossing)...I was just there last year but wasn't driving so I can't even remember...lol.
Hey Perkles,

Rob_TO has already answered your question, and I can confirm - it should not be an issue. You can go and flagpole, and the fact that your wife can't go into the US won't be an issue if you choose a "land crossing". I flagpoled at Victoria/Port Angeles, so I actually needed to go to the US ( and that was OK because I'm visa-exempt), because I needed to get on the ferry... and come back. But in your case, if you choose any of the land crossing, and follow what Rob_TO has told you, and you'll be fine.
Sweden

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Thanks guys. I was hoping they had some kind of exception for those wanting to 'flagpole land', lol, if that's even a term! It's going to be a very long drive to find out they won't let us do what we're expecting to...and unfortunately, she is visa-exempt in Canada but not the States...and getting a transit visa would be a real pain (not to mention, not possible without our timeline).

So we're going to go to the border crossing in Whiterock and follow the signs, I guess. I'm hoping it won't be too crazy being the holidays and all that but all I care about is that they let us get that CoPR signed. If all we have to do is sign a form and pay some money to 'exit and re-enter' then that's ok with me!

Wish us luck, and if you can think of any other advice, please let me know :) I'm going to bring along our marriage cert and other identification, just in case (probably her whole photocopied application, just to be safe).

Happy Holidays!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Perkles said:
Thanks guys. I was hoping they had some kind of exception for those wanting to 'flagpole land', lol, if that's even a term! It's going to be a very long drive to find out they won't let us do what we're expecting to...and unfortunately, she is visa-exempt in Canada but not the States...and getting a transit visa would be a real pain (not to mention, not possible without our timeline).

So we're going to go to the border crossing in Whiterock and follow the signs, I guess. I'm hoping it won't be too crazy being the holidays and all that but all I care about is that they let us get that CoPR signed. If all we have to do is sign a form and pay some money to 'exit and re-enter' then that's ok with me!

Wish us luck, and if you can think of any other advice, please let me know :) I'm going to bring along our marriage cert and other identification, just in case (probably her whole photocopied application, just to be safe).

Happy Holidays!
you'll be fine! :) bringing the marriage certificate is a good idea, hardly anybody gets asked for it, but it's always best to bring it... and if you're going with your wife you'll be fine. Landing process is actually quite an easy one, nothing to worry about, and border officers are very used to people flagpoling at land borders, it should not be an issue.

Good luck, and let us know how it went!
Sweden

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perkles said:

Happy Holidays!
Good luck!

Re any other advice: consider crossing at Douglas/Blaine, WA (info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/offices/office405-e.html) since they have Immigration Services 24/7 - it's just 10 mins away from the White Rock Government Dock.

You should land at a border with Immigration Services (list available at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/indextype38-e.html).

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Quick update:

Everything went at the border just like you all said it would: very easy! The only thing that our own customs folks said was that in my wife's case of when returning to her home country for her belongings, to ensure she gets what they called a 'returning resident visa'. They said she could get one at the Canadian Embassy overseas and pick it up there. I have to do some looking into it, but I don't see it being a big problem.

The reason they say she needs this is kinda like what we already talked about here: nobody overseas knows or realizes what a 'confirmation of permanent residence' is, let alone when it's stapled into your passport (which is what they did here at the border: they kept the other copy, the one with her photograph). The agent was pretty clear that if we were 'being deceptive to an official', that is, telling the people at the airport in Frankfurt that she's travelling as a tourist (and not mention her PR status, they would have no support from them...whatever that means, lol.

I'll have to look into what a returning resident visa is...just to be on the safe side. They also mentioned some things about receipts for her more expensive belongings (and the forms, like you guys mentioned) but other than that, the only pain in the ass was waiting behind an hour and a half of CHEESEHEADS trying to cross the border for boxing day sales!...lol, 'cheeseheads'...that's what they call us apparently in the States because so many go down there to buy cheap cheese!...hey, maybe I'll try that next time. Might as well, who doesn't like cheese? :D

Now we wait for the PR card, and we're applying for all her medical and SIN and drivers licence stuff. Once it's all in, I'll try to put together a 'lessons learned' for anybody else in my particular situation.

Happy New Year!...and a big thank you. This forum and it's kind members have been VERY helpful. I wish I started here, to be honest, than waste all that time trying to figure out the bloody CIC website. Thanks again!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
The only thing that our own customs folks said was that in my wife's case of when returning to her home country for her belongings, to ensure she gets what they called a 'returning resident visa'. They said she could get one at the Canadian Embassy overseas and pick it up there. I have to do some looking into it, but I don't see it being a big problem.

It's called a "Travel Document (PR Abroad)". You can get all the info, application form and what foreign Canada visa office you need to go through here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Basically you need to gather more photographs and fill out all the info, pay a fee (i think $50-$100), and arrange to get the completed document at the foreign visa office. Not sure if they can mail it to you in advance, or you need to pick it up in person.

Its a hassle to do all this... which is why people from visa-exempt countries just say they are travelling as a tourist. However if you want to be 100% safe then i guess its better to just get the document.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Perkles said:
Quick update:

Everything went at the border just like you all said it would: very easy! The only thing that our own customs folks said was that in my wife's case of when returning to her home country for her belongings, to ensure she gets what they called a 'returning resident visa'. They said she could get one at the Canadian Embassy overseas and pick it up there. I have to do some looking into it, but I don't see it being a big problem.

The reason they say she needs this is kinda like what we already talked about here: nobody overseas knows or realizes what a 'confirmation of permanent residence' is, let alone when it's stapled into your passport (which is what they did here at the border: they kept the other copy, the one with her photograph). The agent was pretty clear that if we were 'being deceptive to an official', that is, telling the people at the airport in Frankfurt that she's travelling as a tourist (and not mention her PR status, they would have no support from them...whatever that means, lol.

I'll have to look into what a returning resident visa is...just to be on the safe side. They also mentioned some things about receipts for her more expensive belongings (and the forms, like you guys mentioned) but other than that, the only pain in the ass was waiting behind an hour and a half of CHEESEHEADS trying to cross the border for boxing day sales!...lol, 'cheeseheads'...that's what they call us apparently in the States because so many go down there to buy cheap cheese!...hey, maybe I'll try that next time. Might as well, who doesn't like cheese? :D

Now we wait for the PR card, and we're applying for all her medical and SIN and drivers licence stuff. Once it's all in, I'll try to put together a 'lessons learned' for anybody else in my particular situation.

Happy New Year!...and a big thank you. This forum and it's kind members have been VERY helpful. I wish I started here, to be honest, than waste all that time trying to figure out the bloody CIC website. Thanks again!
thanks for the update, glad to know it all went well! :) Happy new year to you and your wife! and since you're in BC and you landed at the end of the month, you'll only have to wait 2 months for health coverage to kick in (it's 2 months + remaining of the landing months)... unless she's already covered under your own MSP....
I have applied for mine under my partner, but no news, I'll let you know how it goes.
Sweden

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Rob_TO said:
It's called a "Travel Document (PR Abroad)". You can get all the info, application form and what foreign Canada visa office you need to go through here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Basically you need to gather more photographs and fill out all the info, pay a fee (i think $50-$100), and arrange to get the completed document at the foreign visa office. Not sure if they can mail it to you in advance, or you need to pick it up in person.

Its a hassle to do all this... which is why people from visa-exempt countries just say they are travelling as a tourist. However if you want to be 100% safe then i guess its better to just get the document.
Yay, more forms...and money, yikes. Well, unfortunately they stapled her stamped CoPR into a page of her passport (right next to the stamp the border people put in there, I think it states she's a permanent resident)...to remove that document might not be smart. I guess I'll going on this document...more hoops.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
Yay, more forms...and money, yikes. Well, unfortunately they stapled her stamped CoPR into a page of her passport (right next to the stamp the border people put in there, I think it states she's a permanent resident)...to remove that document might not be smart. I guess I'll going on this document...more hoops.
The CoPR doesn't need to be in the passport. In our case, it wasn't stapled in at all and we still just have it as a separate paper. So it's not a problem if you remove it.

Actually if you decide to not do the hassle of gathering and filling out more info and photos, paying for and picking up a travel doc... and just travel as tourist... then you should definitely remove the CoPR from passport. Remember when you check-in to the airline in foreign country you should NOT indicate you are PR or show CoPR, since you'd be travelling as a tourist.

If you do get the travel doc, then of course it's no problem.