+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have my COPR, now what?

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My wife is from a visa-exempt country. It's sounding more and more wise to get the CoPR forms signed at the US border asap. She holds a passport for her native country, but from what I read they don't do anything to her passport...who knows, maybe they do? From what I've read here, it seems that she'll get back a signed CoPR form from the agent at the border and then she'll use that when she arrives through customs(when she comes back with her belongings) to enter the country.

The only thing that I'm worried about is that she is planning on returning to her country next month...I'm thinking most of you who went to the border to land immediately weren't planning on leaving the country before the PR card is mailed to you. I just don't want to risk the border giving her grief over trying to enter the country with a (completed, stamped) PR card, and her foreign passport. Even though it says, "Not valid for travel", I can't see how you can't enter Canada with it, with confidence: after all, it's the actual form that says she IS a permanent resident!...lol.

I know that I'm probably sounding like I'm going in circles, but it's due to our somewhat unique situation of her being here, getting her CoPR form in Canada, yet travelling back to her home country to gather her belongings and visit with her family before 'the' big move.

I wish there were somebody to actually talk to with the immigration people, but as I well know, getting a hold of anybody over the phone is like finding's hen's teeth. And considering we're so close to the goal...all I want to do is get a jumpstart on medical coverage (which she's entitled to through my employer).

I appreciate any and all comments, and Season's Greetings to you all.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
As i mentioned, we just did exactly the same thing.

After landing and getting the CoPR signed, they will also stamp your passport. We then left out of the country shortly after on a vacation to Mexico. Since my fiancee is from visa-exempt country, on the way back to Canada we just stated to the airline agent in Mexico she was travelling as a tourist. Even though she technically has PR status, with no PR card there is no way a foreign worker could verify this as they can't use the CoPR, so you MUST say you are travelling as a visa-exempt tourist.

Then after the flight home and back in Canada, we just told the immigration officer here that we recently "landed" and were still waiting for the PR card in the mail. We gave him CoPR and passport, and he said that was fine. Took all of 2 minutes to get through immigration here.

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Rob_TO said:
As i mentioned, we just did exactly the same thing.

After landing and getting the CoPR signed, they will also stamp your passport. We then left out of the country shortly after on a vacation to Mexico. Since my fiancee is from visa-exempt country, on the way back to Canada we just stated to the airline agent in Mexico she was travelling as a tourist. Even though she technically has PR status, with no PR card there is no way a foreign worker could verify this as they can't use the CoPR, so you MUST say you are travelling as a visa-exempt tourist.

Then after the flight home and back in Canada, we just told the immigration officer here that we recently "landed" and were still waiting for the PR card in the mail. We gave him CoPR and passport, and he said that was fine. Took all of 2 minutes to get through immigration here.
That sounds like it makes sense. After my wife's visa gets stamped and she gets her CoPR completed, I don't see any issue for her coming back to Canada...I just don't want any surprises at the border if an agent has a problem letting her into the country without the PR card. I can't see it being as issue as she'll be a permanent resident of Canada...just without the PR card, which will arrive in a few months.

I'll have to make a decision in the next few days, so as to get the ball rolling within the month. Thanks for your story!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
There are actually plenty of people that do the same... because a lot of couples where the future PR is from visa-exempt happen to wait in Canada... so they get the COPR in Canada, go to the US border, and land - and then enter and exit without stories. If you look on the London thread ( where a lot of people are from visa-exempt as it's a lot of european countries going through London), you'll see that it's a very common thing. Because of the deadline to land, and also to kick start health coverage etc, quite a few people enter the country, land, and come back to their home country, to prepare, pack etc before the "big move". CIC expressly tells applicants not to sell their house, quit their job etc BEFORE having the COPR in hand, so you can't be expected to just move in 2 weeks and close your life in one place before moving somewhere else...

the "non-valid for travel" is to avoid people showing up ONLY with the COPR at the border, it has to be accompanied by a passport. But it's no problem to exit the country and come back without PR card if you are from a visa-exempt, your wife should not have any problem. I know that somebody on the London thread actually got a hold of CBSA agent ( they're much easier to reach than CIC) to confirm that as he was worried before travelling, and it was no problem. You can show up as a tourist, but just let them know that you are a PR, and it can be checked at the border directly.

The only thing that will be in her passport is a stamp with a date from the border officer - but it looks like a regular stamp... apparently that means that your previous tourist visa ( that she had when she came in) is not valid because you landed as a PR, but unless you're from immigration Canada, you would not know the difference - so I don't think that her own country would give her troubles for that.

Good luck for packing and moving!
Sweden

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
I'm a November applicant and based on Perkles' MSP link, I was planning on applying for healthcare now.... But it looks like everyone waited until they actually got their COPR?

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Sweden said:
There are actually plenty of people that do the same... because a lot of couples where the future PR is from visa-exempt happen to wait in Canada... so they get the COPR in Canada, go to the US border, and land - and then enter and exit without stories. If you look on the London thread ( where a lot of people are from visa-exempt as it's a lot of european countries going through London), you'll see that it's a very common thing. Because of the deadline to land, and also to kick start health coverage etc, quite a few people enter the country, land, and come back to their home country, to prepare, pack etc before the "big move". CIC expressly tells applicants not to sell their house, quit their job etc BEFORE having the COPR in hand, so you can't be expected to just move in 2 weeks and close your life in one place before moving somewhere else...

the "non-valid for travel" is to avoid people showing up ONLY with the COPR at the border, it has to be accompanied by a passport. But it's no problem to exit the country and come back without PR card if you are from a visa-exempt, your wife should not have any problem. I know that somebody on the London thread actually got a hold of CBSA agent ( they're much easier to reach than CIC) to confirm that as he was worried before travelling, and it was no problem. You can show up as a tourist, but just let them know that you are a PR, and it can be checked at the border directly.

The only thing that will be in her passport is a stamp with a date from the border officer - but it looks like a regular stamp... apparently that means that your previous tourist visa ( that she had when she came in) is not valid because you landed as a PR, but unless you're from immigration Canada, you would not know the difference - so I don't think that her own country would give her troubles for that.

Good luck for packing and moving!
Sweden
Thanks, Sweden. I think I'm pretty clear about how to proceed from here, but when you say passport, you're just talking about the stamp they put in her actual passport, correct? Are you saying that if her home country sees that PR stamp (or whatever they do to her actual passport), they might give her some grief? From what I gather from this thread, it seems like all she'll have to do is make sure that when she comes back to Canada from the 'big move' is to show her stamped CoPR and stamped passport, and tell them that the PR card is in the mail and she shouldn't have any problems.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to plan a day-trip down to the border asap!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Perkles said:
Thanks, Sweden. I think I'm pretty clear about how to proceed from here, but when you say passport, you're just talking about the stamp they put in her actual passport, correct? Are you saying that if her home country sees that PR stamp (or whatever they do to her actual passport), they might give her some grief? From what I gather from this thread, it seems like all she'll have to do is make sure that when she comes back to Canada from the 'big move' is to show her stamped CoPR and stamped passport, and tell them that the PR card is in the mail and she shouldn't have any problems.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to plan a day-trip down to the border asap!
What I mean is : whenever she goes to the border ( to land, or to come in etc), she has to present her COPR + her passport together ( some people have showed up with only the COPR, without passport, thinking it was enough to travel, but it isn't - it seems pretty obvious, but that's why it says "not valid for travel" on it...). I don't think that her own country would give her any trouble, even if they knew that the stamp was a PR in Canada... I actually checked my own passport, and what they did is: sign over the "first stamp" ( that I got when I came in as a tourist, which I think makes it not valid anymore) and on another page, added another stamp that says "CBSA + the name of port of entry + the date" and the agent manually added a number under that. He told me that it's the proof of my landing if anybody asks for anything, that's "as valid" as a COPR. ( but you would have to know that it means you have landed of course!).

Have fun at the border!
Sweden

Perkles

May 29, 2012
margobear96 said:
I'm a November applicant and based on Perkles' MSP link, I was planning on applying for healthcare now.... But it looks like everyone waited until they actually got their COPR?
I'm no expert, but I tried to apply for healthcare using my wife's CoPR but they wouldn't accept that...the form needs to be completed by a border agent, stamped and dated. From there, the person is now considered landed and a permanent resident. Then you take that completed CoPR and can apply for whatever it is you want (banking, SIN, healthcare). That's what I understand, anyway.

Our CoPR was actually dated from Nov 7th as being approved in the Vienna office...we only got in the mail on the 10th of Dec.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
Are you saying that if her home country sees that PR stamp (or whatever they do to her actual passport), they might give her some grief?
Keep in mind that when you say "her home country" you are talking about the check-in people for whatever airline you are flying. Their job is to ensure you have the right documentation necessary for travel. So if you were from a visa-required country but you didn't have a visa, they would not even allow you to board the plane in the first place.

They will not flip through your passport looking at each and every stamp you have. Basically if you are from a visa-exempt country, they expect you will go through the immigration process after you land in Canada. So just tell them you're travelling as a tourist and that should be it.

Now the only issue i have heard happening here, is that some airlines like you to show a proof of return ticket or they will give you grief and question if you are allowed to fly as tourist to Canada (though i beleive this is rare). When we were travelling last week, we were fully prepared to buy a refundable return ticket on the spot if it was really required, and then just cancel it after we got home. Of course they didn't require this in our case so it wasn't an issue.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perkles said:
The only thing that I'm worried about is that she is planning on returning to her country next month...I'm thinking most of you who went to the border to land immediately weren't planning on leaving the country before the PR card is mailed to you. I just don't want to risk the border giving her grief over trying to enter the country with a (completed, stamped) PR card, and her foreign passport. Even though it says, "Not valid for travel", I can't see how you can't enter Canada with it, with confidence: after all, it's the actual form that says she IS a permanent resident!...lol.

I know that I'm probably sounding like I'm going in circles, but it's due to our somewhat unique situation of her being here, getting her CoPR form in Canada, yet travelling back to her home country to gather her belongings and visit with her family before 'the' big move.

I wish there were somebody to actually talk to with the immigration people, but as I well know, getting a hold of anybody over the phone is like finding's hen's teeth. And considering we're so close to the goal...all I want to do is get a jumpstart on medical coverage (which she's entitled to through my employer).

I appreciate any and all comments, and Season's Greetings to you all.
Hi Perkles!

I am quoting the answer I wrote for Rob_TO which may help you understand the situation. The links in that post to my conversation with Calgary-Bound may also help you.

If you decide to land before her travel home, don't forget to take your wife's B4 to cover all the goods she will have following and have it stamped upfront (CBSA sometimes wants that upfront when landing despite what the rules say).

OhCanadiana said:
Technically, the requirement is that you need your PR card unless you get a travel document. The reason for this is that commercial carriers (eg airlines) get severe penalties if they allow someone to travel to Canada (or any other country) without proper documents, as defined by the Canadian government. Airline personnel aren't trained to know, and don't have access to the relevant systems, to know if a COPR is valid. Therefore, the need for a travel document is to prove your status to an airline so they let you get on a plane and have assurances that they won't get a (severe) penalty if you arrive at the Canadian border and are not admissible.

However, if you are visa exempt from the carrier's perspective they can transport you as if are tourist (visa exempt) and not get themselves in trouble since you have valid status. Thus alleviating the carrier's concerns even if you don't have your PR card and then when you arrive back in Canada, the immigration officers can check your status with the COPR and you enter as a PR.

There's additional details in the conversation I had with Calgary-Bound in April. See additional details of the discussion at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-buffalo-applicants-t41886.0.html;msg1429879#msg1429879 and then his experience returning from Maui at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-buffalo-applicants-t41886.0.html;msg1488693#msg1488693.

Rob_TO - just saw your note. The best way of reaching the Mexico visa office would be through a case specific enquiry (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/mexico.asp). The latest info I have is that they issue them say day in Mexico City but double check with them so you have the requirements if you decide to go down that path.

Perkles

May 29, 2012
I don't think we'll need to show proof of return ticket at the airline desk, as long as she presents her authorized CoPR and passport...they asked this in Germany when we were flying back, not for a return ticket but for a PR card. They just let us know that we'll need a return ticket or proof of permanent residency to be allowed in Canada. It shouldn't be a problem, but I'll make sure she knows what to tell them just in case. I'm thinking things could get more complicated if she decided to return home prior to her PR card being mailed...but even then, there's options.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone. Off to the border!

Perkles

May 29, 2012
"Don't forget to consider prep time for your wife's B4 to cover all the goods she will have following and have it stamped upfront. "

Thanks for the links, OhCanadiana...I'm not sure where you're going with this, though...are you talking about her claiming the value of her belongings on the customs forms, which you fill out on the plane?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perkles said:
"Don't forget to consider prep time for your wife's B4 to cover all the goods she will have following and have it stamped upfront. "

Thanks for the links, OhCanadiana...I'm not sure where you're going with this, though...are you talking about her claiming the value of her belongings on the customs forms, which you fill out on the plane?
The B4 and B4A are customs forms you can complete with an inventory of your goods which as a new settler you get one opportunity to declare and then bring in (over time if you wish) duty and tax free.

Take a look at my post on how to import your goods duty free as a settler (or returning Canadian) at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/b4-help-please-t100666.0.html;msg1465354#msg1465354

Detailed instructions on the B4 and B4A forms from CBSA are at BSF5113 and at D2-2-1 Settlers' Effects.

Technically, you don't need to submit the forms until you move but since your wife has been visiting you and technically will just be visiting home it (and thus already intends to settle in Canada for at least 12 months NOW) she should have it stamped at landing so she can bring in all her goods during her later travels duty free.

Perkles

May 29, 2012
...and what is a B4?... :eek: I read a few pages of your links, is this some type of form to claim goods upon entry into Canada?...wonderful, more forms..lol.

My wife's goods are confined to a few suitcases...no vehicles, appliances or shipped goods like that. Will she still need some kind of form?...and where would I find such forms?...ah, CIC...good times.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
I don't think we'll need to show proof of return ticket at the airline desk, as long as she presents her authorized CoPR and passport...
Please note, you SHOULD NOT show your CoPR to the airline desk in her home country. They most likely do not know what a CoPR is, they are only trained to recognize a PR card. They will not be able to access any online system in Canada that shows she is a landed PR, plus the CoPR has 'not valid for travel' stamped on it. If you try to show the CoPR in her home country and insist she is a PR, that is opening a whole bunch of trouble. You need to make sure she is travelling as a tourist only in her home country, and not mention the PR issue at all.

The CoPR can ONLY be used once back in Canada.