+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I had a serious car accident in Canada(I was passenger), could it affect PR application?

vickychoyal

Jul 7, 2022
I had a car accident last year, I was a passenger, I have 3 level lumbar spine fusion now.

As per new requirements if I get invitation I need to finish IME (Integration Medical Exam) and it says

We won’t approve your permanent resident application if your health

• is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety
  • would cause too much demand on health or social services in Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/medical-exams.html

Does this mean I wont be getting PR now?

can anybody please help me clear this thing

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
Lumbar spine fusion clearly makes no danger to public health. So the only reason this could matter is excessive demand. Consider these questions:

- Do you need ongoing medication or therapy that costs quite a bit? Specifically, if it is possible to exceed $20k CAD annually.
- Are you at significant risk of developing further serious conditions? Stuff like back pain doesn’t count, but more spine damage could.

If both are No, then you have nothing to worry about besides keeping your medical documents that help convince the physician.

Last edited:
Reactions: vickychoyal

vickychoyal

Jul 7, 2022
Lumbar spine fusion clearly makes no danger to public health. So the only reason this could matter is excessive demand. Consider these questions:

- Do you need ongoing medication or therapy that costs quite a bit? Specifically, if it is possible to exceed $20k CAD annually.
- Are you at significant risk of developing further serious conditions? Stuff like back pain doesn’t count, but more spine damage could.

If both are No, then you have nothing to worry about besides keeping your medical documents that help convince the physician.
It is highly unlikely to exceed 20k, but I might have more spine fusion in near future, currently I'm just 23, when I reach 35-40 I might need this surgery.
Moreover, I've the case going on for the settlement since it was other cars fault so I believe it'll cover all the cost I might have in future.

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
It is highly unlikely to exceed 20k, but I might have more spine fusion in near future, currently I'm just 23, when I reach 35-40 I might need this surgery.
Moreover, I've the case going on for the settlement since it was other cars fault so I believe it'll cover all the cost I might have in future.
Although I’m no medical expert, I’ve had medical admissibility concerns of my own case which turned out ok. Sounds like you’ll be just fine. A potential surgery 10 years from now is no excessive demand.

Definitely get the settlement, but I bet your application won’t depend on it.

If you remain worried you can read more on the IRCC website and find inadmissibility cases that went to court. The conditions there are much, much more serious than yours.

vickychoyal

Jul 7, 2022
Although I’m no medical expert, I’ve had medical admissibility concerns of my own case which turned out ok. Sounds like you’ll be just fine. A potential surgery 10 years from now is no excessive demand.

Definitely get the settlement, but I bet your application won’t depend on it.

If you remain worried you can read more on the IRCC website and find inadmissibility cases that went to court. The conditions there are much, much more serious than yours.
Thank you so much for clearing this

Reactions: oinkario

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If the surgery you may need is more than 10 years out, then I agree that you should have no issues passing the medical.

FYI - any settlement you receive will not go to cover the costs of any surgery needed in the future. This will be covered through the health care system.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have a fracture, but you're not guilty of it, why would they deny you? If you had an infectious or viral disease, then you would fit the bill about public health or safety.
Someone can be denied due to excessive demand. It's not only infectious diseases that are a problem.

Reactions: paneka penalty