+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got my PR, but Canadian girlfriend forgot her passport crossing the Alberta/Mo

aivanrad

Sep 11, 2015
Hello there.

Me and my girlfriend were at the Coutts Alberta/Montana border today so that I can "land" as a PR in Canada. We didn't expect that we will be going straight to the US border driving from Canada without going through a Canadian border checkpoint first and my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen didn't have her passport with her when we realized that we are actually going straight to the US border. The US border officers had us pull over as I suppose they do with all the people going to the border just to re-enter as a landed permanent resident, but they did give my girlfriend some hard time for not having a passport on her and only been able to provide them with a drivers license and social insurance number. She explained it to them that she was born in Vancouver and that the reason she never thought of bringing a passport is because neither of us realized that we will be going straight to the US border without being able to stop at a canadian check point first where she can wait for me.

They seemed understanding and only within few minutes they gave us a piece of paper for us to take back to the canadian side so that I can get my PR confirmation validated and told us which way to drive so that we can re-entre to Canada. Once we were back on the canadian border side we did't have as many troubles because my girlfriend had realized that she has a picture of her passport on her phone and after showing it to border officer, they let us both in after asking a few simple immigration questions and I had my papers sign within just few minutes at the Canadian Border office.
The only thing that concerned me was that the piece of paper given to us from the US border said refused or not allowed entry (I don't have the document on me any more because the border officer on the canadian side kept it with her) beside both our names. I really hope they do that with every person going through the US border only to re-enter Canada for immigration purposes and I hope that me and my girlfriend are not gonna have any troubles at the border next time we go into the US.

Any thought. I would highly appreciate if someone has similar experience and knows if we are gonna have difficult time next time we travel to the US because my girlfriend didn't have her passport on her even thought we never technically went into the US.

Thank you all.

Reginald

Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
SCH A Oct 20
AOR Received.
Sep 24
Congratulations on your PR!!!

nat29

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
Everybody who is doing landing in Couttes gets a refusal letter on the US boarder first. I guess this is a procedure and got nothing to do with your girlfriend forgetting her passport. With my current citizenship I don't need a visa to the US and still, when I was there last time renewing my Work Permit, the US customs gave me a refusal letter. They never stamped my passport though. You won't have any problems to enter the US in the future if your paperwork is in order and you have valid visa and passport to go there. Chill out and celebrate your PR! Congratulations!

britinvancouver

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-07-2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015
LANDED..........
07-10-2015
Exactly right, I got my Work Permit by crossing the border and they refused entry but should for good sake's order write 'flagpole' on the top.

My Canadian boyfriend didn't bring his passport with him either as he expected to park on the Canadian side and I would just walk over and back again but he had to go through and got a hell of a time from the border official whilst I was getting my permit sorted - poor thing but I think sometimes they just like to point out they are important people etc.

Congratulations on your PR! Did they give you a little flag and say welcome?