+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got my PR, but Canadian girlfriend forgot her passport crossing the Alberta/Mo

aivanrad

Sep 11, 2015
Hello there.

Me and my girlfriend were at the Coutts Alberta/Montana border today so that I can "land" as a PR in Canada. We didn't expect that we will be going straight to the US border driving from Canada without going through a Canadian border checkpoint first and my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen didn't have her passport with her when we realized that we are actually going straight to the US border. The US border officers had us pull over as I suppose they do with all the people going to the border just to re-enter as a landed permanent resident, but they did give my girlfriend some hard time for not having a passport on her and only been able to provide them with a drivers license and social insurance number. She explained it to them that she was born in Vancouver and that the reason she never thought of bringing a passport is because neither of us realized that we will be going straight to the US border without being able to stop at a canadian check point first where she can wait for me.

They seemed understanding and only within few minutes they gave us a piece of paper for us to take back to the canadian side so that I can get my PR confirmation validated and told us which way to drive so that we can re-entre to Canada. Once we were back on the canadian border side we did't have as many troubles because my girlfriend had realized that she has a picture of her passport on her phone and after showing it to border officer, they let us both in after asking a few simple immigration questions and I had my papers sign within just few minutes at the Canadian Border office.
The only thing that concerned me was that the piece of paper given to us from the US border said refused or not allowed entry (I don't have the document on me any more because the border officer on the canadian side kept it with her) beside both our names. I really hope they do that with every person going through the US border only to re-enter Canada for immigration purposes and I hope that me and my girlfriend are not gonna have any troubles at the border next time we go into the US.

Any thought. I would highly appreciate if someone has similar experience and knows if we are gonna have difficult time next time we travel to the US because my girlfriend didn't have her passport on her even thought we never technically went into the US.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's really impossible for any of us to say whether or not your girlfriend will have issues entering the US in the future since we don't know what was or wasn't recorded in the US immigration systems.

It's possible there may now be a flag on her file which means she may be pushed to secondary inspection when she enters the US. It's extremely unlikely she will have any trouble entering the US - it may just take a bit more time and trouble. Or maybe not.

Again, impossible to say (and no way for you to find out in advance).

katathfx

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-01-2015 Proof of Cohabitation
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approval 15-07-2014 In Progress 20-02-2015
Med's Done....
28-04-2014 extended to 27-04-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2015
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
aivanrad said:
Hello there.

Me and my girlfriend were at the Coutts Alberta/Montana border today so that I can "land" as a PR in Canada. We didn't expect that we will be going straight to the US border driving from Canada without going through a Canadian border checkpoint first and my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen didn't have her passport with her when we realized that we are actually going straight to the US border. The US border officers had us pull over as I suppose they do with all the people going to the border just to re-enter as a landed permanent resident, but they did give my girlfriend some hard time for not having a passport on her and only been able to provide them with a drivers license and social insurance number. She explained it to them that she was born in Vancouver and that the reason she never thought of bringing a passport is because neither of us realized that we will be going straight to the US border without being able to stop at a canadian check point first where she can wait for me.

They seemed understanding and only within few minutes they gave us a piece of paper for us to take back to the canadian side so that I can get my PR confirmation validated and told us which way to drive so that we can re-entre to Canada. Once we were back on the canadian border side we did't have as many troubles because my girlfriend had realized that she has a picture of her passport on her phone and after showing it to border officer, they let us both in after asking a few simple immigration questions and I had my papers sign within just few minutes at the Canadian Border office.
The only thing that concerned me was that the piece of paper given to us from the US border said refused or not allowed entry (I don't have the document on me any more because the border officer on the canadian side kept it with her) beside both our names. I really hope they do that with every person going through the US border only to re-enter Canada for immigration purposes and I hope that me and my girlfriend are not gonna have any troubles at the border next time we go into the US.

Any thought. I would highly appreciate if someone has similar experience and knows if we are gonna have difficult time next time we travel to the US because my girlfriend didn't have her passport on her even thought we never technically went into the US.

Thank you.
I did EXACTLY the same when I drove my husband to land (flagpole) last month. Nothing to worry about for future travel to then US. If your are ever asked about being denied entry to the U.S. say Yes that it was for immigration landing.

aivanrad

Sep 11, 2015
Hello katathfx,

I am assuming the the US border patrol gave a piece of paper similar to the one they gave us to the to the Canadian side. I wonder if you two ever looked at it and do you remember what it says on it. I wish i had taken a picture of hours, but by the time it hit me that I should probably take a note of what was written in then the officer on the canadian side had already taken it.

Thank you.

katathfx

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-01-2015 Proof of Cohabitation
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approval 15-07-2014 In Progress 20-02-2015
Med's Done....
28-04-2014 extended to 27-04-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2015
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
aivanrad said:
Hello katathfx,

I am assuming the the US border patrol gave a piece of paper similar to the one they gave us to the to the Canadian side. I wonder if you two ever looked at it and do you remember what it says on it. I wish i had taken a picture of hours, but by the time it hit me that I should probably take a note of what was written in then the officer on the canadian side had already taken it.

Thank you.
Yes we took a photo. It is titled "refusal of entry to the United States". It only had my husbands name on it and the comment section was left blank. It is required paperwork when flagpoling. It's nice to know I'm not alone in forgetting to bring the passport :)