+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got in! Now to consider funds.

MalTX

Dec 18, 2013
Hey everyone. I have just been accepted to both the University of Ottawa and the University of Toronto. I am an American citizen and I will need to secure the appropriate funds to prove that I can afford tuition and living costs, so that I may begin applying for my study visa. From what I've read it seems like I have to prove that I can pay for university in order to apply for my visa, therefore I can't exactly apply for financial aid/grants/scholarships through either university. Most of the scholarships I've looked at apply only to American universities, and American grants are to be used within the country. It looks like I will have to utilize federal loans to be able to afford a school as pricey as Toronto. I'm just curious if this seems accurate, or if any of you out there have some insight as to what options are available to international students as far as financial aid goes. I would really appreciate any advice, personal anecdotes, helpful information that you all might have. Thanks!

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
Yes there are federal loans that you can use for studies outside the US. I think the US government has agreements with Canadian/UK schools so you can transfer your US loans for courses there. Here is a site that you can check out: http://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/types/international#get-a-degree

You can apply for scholarships/grants from the Universities unless they make it clear that your course of study isn't eligible for funding. Plenty of international students receive/apply for scholarships and grants. If you receive funding then all you have to show is that you can pay for the remaining balance of your tuition + living expenses.

allie1988

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All right, finally another American citizen that is also going for a Canadian university.

I've applied to Dalhousie in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and I am awaiting a response.

I've already looked into this already.

It seems with my particular school, I have found that there are no scholarships unless I'm coming directly from high school. Also they give out bursaries and other stuff like that after your first year if your grades are good.

Unfortunately, for me I won't be doing anything scholarship-wise.

Luckily, I went to https://fafsa.ed.gov/ and as I filled out my information, I found out the university I am applying to is a recognized school under FAFSA. So I'm able to get a Federal Pell Grant, and I'm also eligible for a Federal Direct Loan through FAFSA also.

I scrolled through a list and I think those two schools are eligible to use with FAFSA. You should look into it. It may help you out a ton!

For me I'm eligible to get a federal pell grant each year, and 9-12k direct loan each year, I'm estimating.

As for any other funding, I was told that the only other way is to get private school loans because any other way won't allow us to get money for schooling outside the country.

MalTX

Dec 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. Allie1988 I'm glad to see another American in my situation! Maybe we can help each other out! From what I understood Federal Pell Grants couldn't be used in other countries. On the link that samroc provided it actually states, "At many schools around the world, you can receive a federal student loan from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program. You may receive a Direct Subsidized Loan or Direct Unsubsidized Loan for your undergraduate education. Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Direct PLUS Loans are available to graduate students. Your parent also might be able to borrow on your behalf; he or she should ask about getting a Direct PLUS Loan for parents. International schools do not participate in the U.S. Department of Education's grant programs, so you will not be able to obtain a Federal Pell Grant to get your degree at an international school."

I have actually already filed my FAFSA, signed my MPNs, etc. I'm waiting to hear back from both schools to see what I'm being offered. I'm aware that I can receive federal loans from the US, but as this is not my first degree or first time requesting loans, I am not eager to take out $34,000 in loans for the University of Toronto for one year of study.

The program that I'm completing is only a 1 year program, so the bursaries don't really apply to me. I am in a similar situation where the scholarships are either for Canadian residents, high school graduates, or other programs. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who would let me know if schools may offer tuition assistance to international students, if there was a way to apply for grants, etc.

I think I've probably exhausted my resources, as I've read through both university's financial aid sites, FAFSA's, OSAP's, etc. I thought I'd give it a go on here and see if anyone had any information I seemed to skip over, but it looks like federal loans are the only option.