+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got a PAPER citizenship certificate how to change it to an E-CERTIFICATE?

alpharomeo22

Jul 31, 2018
Hello,

Please what is the procedure to change it.. E-CERTIFICATE you never can lose them..
a citizenship certificate if you lose you are done, the copy doesn't matter you need to wait 11 month for a new one + all the paperwork.. ( check processing time IRCC)

how to change it now please?

Thank you

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hello,

Please what is the procedure to change it.. E-CERTIFICATE you never can lose them..
a citizenship certificate if you lose you are done, the copy doesn't matter you need to wait 11 month for a new one + all the paperwork.. ( check processing time IRCC)

how to change it now please?

Thank you
It’s called a safety deposit box, which you rent through your bank, to hold important papers such as your certificate and your passport. In case of a house fire, at least you have your important documents saved.

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
how is e-certificate different from paper one? Just curious. if should be same exact copy of paper certificate.

alpharomeo22

Jul 31, 2018
It’s called a safety deposit box, which you rent through your bank, to hold important papers such as your certificate and your passport. In case of a house fire, at least you have your important documents saved.
and what happen when i am abroad and i lose my passport?

when you lose passport they want the original paper certificate or a copy of the e-paper.
if i have e-certficate even if i am abroad i can print and im done.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
There's no procedure to replace one by the other.
You can however apply for a new proof of citizenship and ask for the e-certificate.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/about.html

In the "who can apply" section, it can be done if you lose yours. You're not supposed to lose it on purpose and get the electronic one instead but hey, that's up to you I suppose.
Takes about a year to approve, I believe.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
and what happen when i am abroad and i lose my passport?

when you lose passport they want the original paper certificate or a copy of the e-paper.
if i have e-certficate even if i am abroad i can print and im done.
Shows how much you know.

When you renew a passport you do NOT need to show citizenship certificate. It is the preferred method for receiving a new one through an embassy abroad.

There are steps to go through, but citizenship certificate is not required to renew a still valid passport. It's when you apply for a NEW passport after old passport has expired, that you need the certificate. And of course when you apply for your first one.

ALL the info you need to know are on the Canada.ca passport pages. Super easy to find. Didn't even have to google it.

Reactions: Seym

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
To add to @yyzstudent 's message, what he says about a passport renewal is also applicable for lost passports. You only need to have the passport information for the renewal, not the booklet itself, so, a picture of your passport biopage online and you can travel stress free :)

Reactions: yyzstudent

alpharomeo22

Jul 31, 2018
To add to @yyzstudent 's message, what he says about a passport renewal is also applicable for lost passports. You only need to have the passport information for the renewal, not the booklet itself, so, a picture of your passport biopage online and you can travel stress free :)
that's not true, when you lose passport embassy will give you a temporary passport then you have to come canada and apply for a passport that will require an original certificate.
if i have an e-certificate i can apply directly at the embassy of the country i am visiting.

Reactions: Kayne

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
that's not true, when you lose passport embassy will give you a temporary passport then you have to come canada and apply for a passport that will require an original certificate.
if i have an e-certificate i can apply directly at the embassy of the country i am visiting.
Replacing a lost or stolen passport abroad
First, contact the Passport Program(opens in a new tab) as soon as possible to report the loss or theft.
Next, check to see if you’re eligible to renew your passport(opens in a new tab) . Renewing your passport is simpler than applying for a new one.

If you’re not eligible to renew your passport, just apply for a new passport(opens in a new tab)

Since your passport is still valid, you’ll need to

submit, with your application, an additional form to report your lost or stolen passport
We’ll tell you which form to submit in the instructions.
pay both
the regular fees and
the extra fee for replacing a lost or stolen passport

Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/security/lost-stolen-inaccessible-damaged-found.html

Go through the questions to get to the result.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Shows how much you know.

When you renew a passport you do NOT need to show citizenship certificate. It is the preferred method for receiving a new one through an embassy abroad.

There are steps to go through, but citizenship certificate is not required to renew a still valid passport. It's when you apply for a NEW passport after old passport has expired, that you need the certificate. And of course when you apply for your first one.

ALL the info you need to know are on the Canada.ca passport pages. Super easy to find. Didn't even have to google it.
First of all you're an idiot because people are trying to assist you and you've giving ATTITUDE! Secondly if you know so much already then why are you posing a question? And thirdly if you lose your passport (which I've NEVER done in my life) then you're a bigger idiot. Use and embrace the technology because if you'd have used your brain you could've taken a picture of the cert.....not sure anything more is required really.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
First of all you're an idiot because people are trying to assist you and you've giving ATTITUDE! Secondly if you know so much already then why are you posing a question? And thirdly if you lose your passport (which I've NEVER done in my life) then you're a bigger idiot. Use and embrace the technology because if you'd have used your brain you could've taken a picture of the cert.....not sure anything more is required really.
You do know I’m not the one asking the question, right?

Secondly, I’ve never lost a passport in my life. The oldest one I have is from when my age was in the single digits and that’s quite a few decades ago. I might have had one before that and if so, my parents lost it.

You might want to check how you use technology on a forum when responding to posts.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
You do know I’m not the one asking the question, right?

Secondly, I’ve never lost a passport in my life. The oldest one I have is from when my age was in the single digits and that’s quite a few decades ago. I might have had one before that and if so, my parents lost it.

You might want to check how you use technology on a forum when responding to posts.
I'm well aware of how to use technology so don't EDUCATE ME Mr YYZ Student....if you haven't lost a passport why you fretting for you knob? I couldn't give a monkeys how old your passport is....you come here and give attitude to those that assist you and you want m to watch how I respond? Make sure you visit a Dr....you dive!