+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got 3 years work permit and I took one course part-time in summers..!!!

criveros

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
You can take as many summer courses as you want or none at all. What affects your status is the fall and winter semester.

Indraneel

Nov 5, 2016
@criveros

Thank you for your reply :)

I was wondering if starting the program with a part time Spring/Summer registration looks bad as far as PGWP is concerned, as it is specifically said part-time registration is entertained only in last semester.

But from your post I gather there is no point wrecking head over it if the starting part time semester is a Spring/Summer session :)

Indraneel

Nov 5, 2016
To clear further confusion, those who are fearing this line in the CIC rule book concerning PGWP criteria:

"You must have continuously studied full time in Canada " (Something that got me very worried too),

should also know the same rule book says:

"Designated learning institutions set the number of hours/credits toward a degree, diploma or certificate that is required for a student to hold full-time status. "

So if university says part-time registration is acceptable during Spring/Summer (mainly because during this session , even if student is willing to enroll full time, offered relevant courses are very limited and does not add up to make full time registration in terms of total credit hours), then in PGWP application it "should" not affect in adverse manner :)

cyclist

Mar 26, 2016
Vancouver,BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
June 22,2016
Doc's Request.
December 13,2016
AOR Received.
August 16,2016
File Transfer...
August24,2016
Med's Done....
April 6,2016
Interview........
Nov 3, 2016(passed)..January 17 ,2017 DM (Ecas)
LANDED..........
17-02-2017
No need to worry. I was an international student like you. Did my diploma and in the summer I was able to take only 3 credits(1 course) because instructors have life, as well. so having a summer course didn't affect my pgwp at all; I got it with no issues.

Indraneel

Nov 5, 2016
@Cyclist

Thank you for sharing your experience and yes, life can't be all work and no play.... goes for students as well as teachers, true :)

Mitchco

Jan 16, 2017
Im in the same boat brother i just finish my program. I did a 3 year certificate where i have to take the spring/summers off due to lack of availability in the courses. As far as i know summer term isnt consider part of the school year. I submit my documents already still waiting for response. In the mean time take a look at my school site they povide you with the criteria of been and international student i bet most universitys and colleges in Canada do it this way. I would let you know anyway as soon as i get a response from my application!!

mdaako

May 27, 2017
Hello all,

I am sorry If i am bringing this topic again but I didn't find any other clear information regarding this subject:

If I study 1 year course (56,5 credits) + 1 year course (30 credits) but with a 4 months gap between them, can I still get a PGWP of 2 years? *I will study in different institutions

The first course I want to do starts in April 2018 and It ends April 2019 but the second course only starts in September 2019. Can I still get a PGWP of 2 years? Also what would be my status during those 4 months because I think I would lose my SP after 3 months. Can I stay and wait for the September course? Or can I do any other study during this time, like continuing study or summer programs?

Sincerely,

Dec 23, 2017
Guys I am posting this because there is a lot of confusion and misinformation given on this forum from many different members...I just want to say that if you withdraw a course and take it in summers part-time that would not effect your pgwp as long as you are a full time student during the academic years...I know a guy who got his three years pgwp and he was part time during his 2nd semester.....

So guys I just want to tell you that please dont worry or stress if you had to take a part-time course in summers and such, you will get your pgwp, my credit hours were around 65 and I was a full time student during the academic years, so if you were part time in the summers that most probably will not affect your post graduate work permit.

I fully reccommend that you remain as a full time student but sometimes things happen in life and you have to go part-time in summers and it should be okay with you when you apply for your post graduate work permit..

I am writing this because I been into so much depression and at a point I almost thought my work permit will be rejected because of reading posts from members in this forum, so please guys dont worry if your in the same scenario, most likely youll be fine..

I have a question,

Actually i am an international student in Canada with 2 years of study permit (Sept 2016 to June 2018).

1. September 2016 -- January 2017 (1st semester) --- (enrolled in 6 courses as full -time student)
2. January 2017 -- may 2017 (2nd semester) --- (enrolled in 6 courses as full -time student)
3. May 2017 -- August 2017 (Summer break)
4. September 2017 -- January 2018 (3rd semester) --- (enrolled in 5 courses as full -time student)
5. January 2018 -- April 2018 (4th Semester) -- (Upcoming-- but will be enrolled in 5 courses as i cant do work placement because of the failing in the main course of my program)

- I my 2nd semester, I failed in 1 course that was the main course of my program because of that my coordinator didn't allowed me to take the
further 1 course in 3rd semester, but she allowed me to take the other 5 courses in 3rd semester, and she told me that i have to do the failed
course first (failed course of 2nd semester) to get the 1 course which i didn't got in my 3rd semester. Also I have to clear both the courses to be
eligible for the work placement in 4th semester.

- I just want know, after doing the 5 courses (which coordinator allowed me to take in 3rd semester), when my 4th semester will start in January
2018. What if i don't do the courses of 4th semester (other courses not the main , just like she did with my in my 3rd semester) and do 1 failed
course of 2nd semester (as part-time student) in January 2018 semester and then the one missing course of 3rd semester in September 2018 -
as a part time student (because these courses are not offered together in same semester). Also there will be a summer break from may 2018 to
august 2018. And when I will clear both the courses of 2nd semester and 3rd semester as part-time student in order to be eligible for work
placement. And will again become a full-time student in my 4th semester in January 2019 and do my work placement. Do i get my work permit or
not?

Note: I will extend my study permit for sure.

Please reply back, because I am really confused.

Please reply me back if you sure about the Do i get the work permit or not? according to the above situation i discussed with you.

Thanks,
Navdeep Bopparai
bopparai22@gmail.com
+1613-770-3236 (text or call)

GAGANMECH

Jan 28, 2016
Can you tell me the result?
Um..some people say that to get PGWP nees the last 8 months full-time study before graduation.
But, to take part-time to cover failed course last semester is ok.

I took part-time after 2nd semester to cover 2 course and finished rest courses as full time.
I also worried of refusal for PGWP.
hey buddy,
my issue is sorted out , becasue I was failed intentionally by one professor and later on i fought for it and got chance to rewrite exam ,

ARVINDATWAL

Star Member
Apr 14, 2016
hi, guyz... I am doing a 2-year program and started my studies in Sept 2017. now in the fall semester 2018, i would be having only 2 courses left for the program completion. so can I take these courses online and move to Toronto because I am currently in Nova Scotia.
Please guide

Cynthia93

Jul 18, 2016
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra VFS
App. Filed.......
16/09/2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
13/01/2017
Med's Done....
18/01/2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
Already Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
26/01/2017
LANDED..........
22/04/2017
Hello All,

Please, this is very urgent and I will appreciate any advice and suggestion.

My one-year program will be ending by April 2018 and I have gotten an offer letter which will be starting by September 2018 (1-year program too). I have paid the tuition fee and have extended my study permit.

Please, my question is this:

(1) Can I be able to work from May 2018 till I start m next program in August 2018

I called CIC two times, the first lady that picked the call said I can work as long as my program is registered while the second lady that answered the call said I cant work till I start my next program. I also went to my school, they said I can work as long as I have paid my tuition fee and have been fully registered.

I don't want to make a costly mistake, please if you have passed through this, can you advice me or tell me your experience or better still email me Chiamy93@gmail.com.

Thanks, all.

Sopunuchi

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
i need help someone...
here is my timeline
came to Canada in 2015 may.. took one course that time in summer
took 5 courses in 2015 sept ( i was doing engineering diploma)
took 4 courses in jan-april 2016 semester
took one course in may summer 2016
took 3 courses in septemr -december semester 2016(was on probation here) minimum for fulltime is 3 courses in my school
did 2 COURSES in jan-april semester 2017 did 2 courses in 2017 may summer semester
did 3 courses in september 2017 semester
did 3 courses in jan-april 2018 semester
no courses in may summer semester 2018
doing 3 courses right now(september-dec 2018) still on probation and plan on getting off it this semester
study permit expires 2019 septemeber ,switching to a degree as i have spent 4 years here failed most courses(about 10) but will need a year plus from now to graduate so i will be extending my study permit by one year from september next year(2019)
my question is will this affect my PGWP application in 2020 may after i graduate ?as i did part time in that 2017 january to april semester only ?i will be fulltime even in my last semester,it was just that one time..
i did not work in that semester as well.i worked 2016 june as fulltime and parttime(10hrs per week) in september to dec 2016 then quit in december and worked again from 2017 may to 2018 may (in 2017 sept to april 2018 i ws working 20-25 hrs but mostly 22 hrs as my manager was acoholic in making the schedule).worked again from may 2018 to now and still working fully parttime...please i need an answer ASAP...thank you so much in advance