+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I forgot to update SIN number...

Kdash

Oct 28, 2020
My current status is implied visitor. my work permit has expired already. I only recently noticed when I got my work permit, I have to update my SIN number...I would like to ask if it is okay to get income. And CERB with expired SIN number. I've been so nervous about that recently. I got a work permit this summer. But my company canceled the offer because of COVID, then, I got cancelation fee as income, Also I applied to CERB a few months. I thought the SIN number works If I hold a work permit... Moreover, I lost my work permit unfortunately...;( I requested CIC to get a work permit letter once again. If you have any advice please let me know...

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So you're a visitor and you want to get CERB and/or use your SIN number to work?

That's not legal and you'll be committing immigration fraud if you do this. You are risking getting deported/banned from Canada.

If I'm misunderstanding your status please clarify so I can give you more complete advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My current status is implied visitor. my work permit has expired already. I only recently noticed when I got my work permit, I have to update my SIN number...I would like to ask if it is okay to get income. And CERB with expired SIN number. I've been so nervous about that recently. I got a work permit this summer. But my company canceled the offer because of COVID, then, I got cancelation fee as income, Also I applied to CERB a few months. I thought the SIN number works If I hold a work permit... Moreover, I lost my work permit unfortunately...;( I requested CIC to get a work permit letter once again. If you have any advice please let me know...
Did you take CERB although you never worked in Canada? You don’t qualify for CERB. Your employers were nice enough to offer you a cancellation fee, likely to relocate back to your home country, CRA will be able to see that you worked zero hours in Canada.