+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I don't want to go back without completing 1 full year in Canada

kuswara1

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
My Dear friends,
I have a serious problem, for which I am seeking your valuable advise,. My problem is:

I am in Canada on a closed work permit since last 11 months and will have to return back to my home country next week only.
Which makes me to lag by one month to complete my 1 year in Canada, to make eligible to apply under CEC for PR.

Therefore, I don't want to go back without completing 1 full year in Canada.

I am just thinking about different options which could make to complete 1 year here.
If I take a leave for 1 month and remain in Canada on my own expenditure; and if I manage to get my salary from Canada office for my leave period, which would be lesser than current salary I am drawing because of my onsite assignment; will it make me eligible for CEC ?
meaning to say, will it make me to claim 12 months completed in Canada as employee ?

Please suggest so that I can plan accordingly !!

Kuswara1

pixelfrontier

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per this website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp):

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
A reference or experience letter from the employer
It should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and e-mail address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company);
should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
In the end you'll have to make sure the dates your employer writes on your reference letter add up to at least one year. I really don't know how taking a leave would work but I just wanted to point this out since a reference/experience letter from the employer is mandatory as proof of work experience.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm Not sure how that'd work. You need the 12 months work experience. If you take leave for a month you're not working. I don't think you could count it as work experience..

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have any annual, casual, medical leaves you can solicit in any given year ? that don't count towards being absent from job ?

No idea how the Canadian system works with-respect-to leave (time taken off) (holidays).

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
One solution could be to apply for a work permit extension in order to get implied status for 2 months. This could give you the extra month of work experience.
I'm not sure what type of permit you have but i would look into extending it with the goal of getting implied status

john1818

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kuswara1 said:
My Dear friends,
I have a serious problem, for which I am seeking your valuable advise,. My problem is:

I am in Canada on a closed work permit since last 11 months and will have to return back to my home country next week only.
Which makes me to lag by one month to complete my 1 year in Canada, to make eligible to apply under CEC for PR.

Therefore, I don't want to go back without completing 1 full year in Canada.

I am just thinking about different options which could make to complete 1 year here.
If I take a leave for 1 month and remain in Canada on my own expenditure; and if I manage to get my salary from Canada office for my leave period, which would be lesser than current salary I am drawing because of my onsite assignment; will it make me eligible for CEC ?
meaning to say, will it make me to claim 12 months completed in Canada as employee ?

Please suggest so that I can plan accordingly !!

Kuswara1
I had spoken to CIC about this. They had advisef the Visa Officer counts 2 to 3 weeks towards vacation, sickness. So if in the entire year you did not had any leaves and if you are short of 2 to 3 weeks. I guess you should be good.

fistillarte

Nov 17, 2014
Visa Office......
Sidney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-01-2015 (Received by CIC)
Doc's Request.
17-08-2015 (RPRF & PCC)
Nomination.....
02-12-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2015 (XEP) 15-05-2015 (EP)
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
20-05-2015
Med's Done....
30-05-2015 (me) & 01-06-2015 (wife)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18-01-2016
LANDED..........
06-02-2016
Implied status would be the way to go. Although in some threads people have discussed about how some CIC officers would not count that. But the official statement is that IT DOES COUNTS.

So there you go. Oh, apply on paper, that way you'll get a good 3 extra months to cover yourself.

AAA2133

Dec 17, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2015
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
28-09-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-09-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
john1818 said:
I had spoken to CIC about this. They had advisef the Visa Officer counts 2 to 3 weeks towards vacation, sickness. So if in the entire year you did not had any leaves and if you are short of 2 to 3 weeks. I guess you should be good.
I knew someone rejected because of only one week short though we cannot generalize it!

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
irishIan said:
One solution could be to apply for a work permit extension in order to get implied status for 2 months. This could give you the extra month of work experience.
I'm not sure what type of permit you have but i would look into extending it with the goal of getting implied status
I agree. Make a paper application for extension of work permit and this would give you implied status (for 2 months atleast). Based on this you can continue at your current job and meet the CEC requirements.

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
AAA2133 said:
I knew someone rejected because of only one week short though we cannot generalize it!
I believe we need to meet 1 year of experience fore CEC requirement. But if your weekly hours are more that 30 hours and over all your working hours are more than 1560, than u are still eligible to apply for CEC.
I have seen ppl who are short of 2 weeks have got approval for CEC. So calculate your working hours.

Alimoh

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
No matter how many hours you work.. You have to be working for at least one calendar year... The hours thing is only for people who have worked for more than a year in a part time role.. They can add their total hours to make up nd year...

Secondly, the immigration officer is going to check your work permit dates.. So taking a months leave znx drawing ur salary from canda won't work either as ur permit will show only 11 months in

The only option that might work is applying for a work permit and working on implied status.. That is given that ur company extends ur stay in Canada and issues supporting docs to apply for the permit.. Otherwise it will get returned and the should thing still might end up looking fishy to the immigration officer.. Given tgat u doll have to explain how u made up 12 months work experience and why ur permit was rejected..

Tough situation though .. Good luck anyways ...

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
It is upto example we have seen within frnd circles or forums. I have seen my frnd got PR in cec, even though he was short of 2 weeks. So all depends on luck that time. If anyone is in such situation, he shld give a try. In order to get lottery, we need to play for it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PK_11 said:
But if your weekly hours are more that 30 hours and over all your working hours are more than 1560, than u are still eligible to apply for CEC.
That is simply not true. You need a minimum of one calendar year (52 weeks), working 30 hours or more per week. CIC specifically states that you cannot use "extra" hours to compensate for a being short in duration of employment.

It's possible that people fudge their application and get away with it. It's possible that a VO makes an error in your favor. But you can't count on it. And CIC seems to be doing more rigorous checking of applications now. You should exhaust all options to legitimately meet the requirements before resorting to faking it.

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
When we fill EE profile they ask for months not specific date. So if u r short of one week it should not make much difference, if ur working hours is more than 1560. But if u r short for one month it will makes difference.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PK_11 said:
When we fill EE profile they ask for months not specific date. So if u r short of one week it should not make much difference, if ur working hours is more than 1560. But if u r short for one month it will makes difference.
1. Except that if you get an ITA CIC will notice that your experience letter doesn't show a f ull year. Pretty a much a refusal at that point