+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I don't know If I'll be able to justify 24 months of qualified professional experience in time

Ushasus

Nov 17, 2023
Hello! I am currently working towards obtaining my QSC to apply for PR from Quebec, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to justify 24 months of qualified professional experience in time.

Let me explain:

I have been living in Quebec for almost 4 years now. I spent 3 years studying, then started working after obtaining an open work permit. After completing my studies, I returned to France for almost 10 months to work on my portfolio to secure a job in my field (3D animation). During this time, I was waiting for my post-graduation work permit.

I managed to secure a job before returning to Montreal and worked for 10 months before my contract ended. I then spent 1 month looking for another job in my field and secured one, but it also finished 4 months later due to project difficulties, resulting in a 60% reduction in the team. Since I was new, I was part of the selection pool.

Currently, with the strikes concluded (though job opportunities will only return around February, I believe), market conditions, and my lack of experience, I have been job hunting in my field for the past 2 months. The challenge is that I only have until October 3, 2024, to accumulate 10 more months of qualified job experience before applying for QSC through PEQ (as my studies only provided an AEC).

I am uncertain if I can achieve this. I've been trying to secure a vendor job, as it is on the list of qualified jobs, and might start working in December. However, the contract would end around January, giving me only one more month without a "buffer" to look for a job afterward.
I would need to find a job directly after the contract ends and work continuously until October 2024. Which is challenging in my field, as it is predominantly contract-based, especially for juniors. If fortunate, I might find a studio willing to provide a Closed Work permit to give me the time needed to apply for CSQ, but I believe studios are generally reluctant to do this for juniors.

I am becoming anxious about not meeting the PEQ conditions. I cannot extend my work permit as I have already reached the maximum of 3 years.
I would need a new work permit to continue working in Quebec, and I am not well-informed about that process. I've heard there are possibilities to apply for a work permit outside of Quebec, and I am willing to go outside Quebec for 1 to 2 years to complete my PR (francophone mobility work permit ?).

So, my questions are:

Should I attempt to obtain a new work permit, and if so, how and where? Are there possibilities for me to stay in Montreal and get a new work permit?
I can also hope for a studio to offer a Closed Work permit for the end of October 2024 (which could be possible, given my skills and portfolio), but I prefer to rely on actual solutions rather than simply hoping for something to happen.

Thanks for reading me !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello! I am currently working towards obtaining my QSC to apply for PR from Quebec, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to justify 24 months of qualified professional experience in time.

Let me explain:

I have been living in Quebec for almost 4 years now. I spent 3 years studying, then started working after obtaining an open work permit. After completing my studies, I returned to France for almost 10 months to work on my portfolio to secure a job in my field (3D animation). During this time, I was waiting for my post-graduation work permit.

I managed to secure a job before returning to Montreal and worked for 10 months before my contract ended. I then spent 1 month looking for another job in my field and secured one, but it also finished 4 months later due to project difficulties, resulting in a 60% reduction in the team. Since I was new, I was part of the selection pool.

Currently, with the strikes concluded (though job opportunities will only return around February, I believe), market conditions, and my lack of experience, I have been job hunting in my field for the past 2 months. The challenge is that I only have until October 3, 2024, to accumulate 10 more months of qualified job experience before applying for QSC through PEQ (as my studies only provided an AEC).

I am uncertain if I can achieve this. I've been trying to secure a vendor job, as it is on the list of qualified jobs, and might start working in December. However, the contract would end around January, giving me only one more month without a "buffer" to look for a job afterward.
I would need to find a job directly after the contract ends and work continuously until October 2024. Which is challenging in my field, as it is predominantly contract-based, especially for juniors. If fortunate, I might find a studio willing to provide a Closed Work permit to give me the time needed to apply for CSQ, but I believe studios are generally reluctant to do this for juniors.

I am becoming anxious about not meeting the PEQ conditions. I cannot extend my work permit as I have already reached the maximum of 3 years.
I would need a new work permit to continue working in Quebec, and I am not well-informed about that process. I've heard there are possibilities to apply for a work permit outside of Quebec, and I am willing to go outside Quebec for 1 to 2 years to complete my PR (francophone mobility work permit ?).

So, my questions are:

Should I attempt to obtain a new work permit, and if so, how and where? Are there possibilities for me to stay in Montreal and get a new work permit?
I can also hope for a studio to offer a Closed Work permit for the end of October 2024 (which could be possible, given my skills and portfolio), but I prefer to rely on actual solutions rather than simply hoping for something to happen.

Thanks for reading me !
If you want to obtain a new work permit, it would have to be a closed work permit. So that would involve securing a job offer with an employer and that employer obtaining an approved LMIA.

Ushasus

Nov 17, 2023
Thanks for your quick response!

If I may, could I ask one more question?
I believe I could find a job in my field starting February 2024. When the time comes to apply, it's often indicated whether I need a work permit or not. In my case, should I state that I need a work permit even though I have one valid until October, or should I inquire if they can obtain an approved LMIA close to October?

Is this something feasible, or do employers usually handle it at the time of recruitment?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your quick response!

If I may, could I ask one more question?
I believe I could find a job in my field starting February 2024. When the time comes to apply, it's often indicated whether I need a work permit or not. In my case, should I state that I need a work permit even though I have one valid until October, or should I inquire if they can obtain an approved LMIA close to October?

Is this something feasible, or do employers usually handle it at the time of recruitment?
I don't know your industry so some of these questions are very hard to answer.

Overall, many employers are not willing to go through the LMIA process. I'm not sure it makes sense to say you need a work permit right away given you have an open work permit. The whole LMIA conversation may be easier / more feasible once the employer knows you. However overall, there's always quite a bit of risk the employer simple won't do it. You also don't want to have the LMIA conversation too late since they can take months to obtain.

I'm personally not a fan of the Quebec immigration programs (too many problems historically). Given you don't know if you can get the 24 months, have you considered other provinces? Feels like you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

Ushasus

Nov 17, 2023
Indeed, I'm considering moving to Ontario or BC to obtain PR from there. I've heard people mention the Francophone Mobility Work Permit, and it might be easier to secure a work permit with an employer outside Quebec.

I believe it's possible to obtain PR from another province and then return to Quebec, but I think not all PR statuses allow for living in Quebec.

I've also heard about Express Entry. Being French and proficient in English, I would need to take the language test to pursue this route. I believe my job experience in my field is around TEERS 2, and I already have 14 months of experience.

My main goal is to eventually return to Quebec.

P.S.: Toronto and Vancouver are ideal for my field, with many studios located there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Indeed, I'm considering moving to Ontario or BC to obtain PR from there. I've heard people mention the Francophone Mobility Work Permit, and it might be easier to secure a work permit with an employer outside Quebec.

I believe it's possible to obtain PR from another province and then return to Quebec, but I think not all PR statuses allow for living in Quebec.

I've also heard about Express Entry. Being French and proficient in English, I would need to take the language test to pursue this route. I believe my job experience in my field is around TEERS 2, and I already have 14 months of experience.

My main goal is to eventually return to Quebec.

P.S.: Toronto and Vancouver are ideal for my field, with many studios located there.
Once you have PR, you can live wherever you want. PRs have freedom of movement.

Best advice I can give you now is that you need to dedicate significan time to researching the immigration programs you may be interested in (outside of Quebec), including understanding their requirements, selection criteria, points cut off, etc. I would not delay this any further.

Ushasus

Nov 17, 2023
Once you have PR, you can live wherever you want. PRs have freedom of movement.

Best advice I can give you now is that you need to dedicate significan time to researching the immigration programs you may be interested in (outside of Quebec), including understanding their requirements, selection criteria, points cut off, etc. I would not delay this any further.

Okay, it's good to know. I'm going to focus on Ontario and BC then, as I might find a job there, making the process easier.
Thanks again for your time and concise answer.

I wish you a great weekend!