+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I didn't send in the IMM5406 :(

MrsPersaud

Nov 20, 2014
My application just got to CIC-Mississauga on Monday. I totally ignored the IMM 5406 form assuming it was for applicants with dependent. I read there's a chance that my application is gonna be mailed back to me.

I wrote my home address in the Philippines as my return mailing address on the envelope. Is this fine?

Is it only the applicant who has to complete the form or is it also the sponsor?

I really encourage those who are currently working on their application to read all the instructions carefully before finalizing everything, especially if you have short attention span like me! :'(

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
I think it is the applicant's form, if that is so I am just predicting that file wont return as it has nothing to do with sponsor approval; the 1st stage approval. But again a senior member can tel you better. If the file is not returned and you get stage1 approval than you may send it with cover letter explaining the reason.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
handsup said:
I think it is the applicant's form, if that is so I am just predicting that file wont return as it has nothing to do with sponsor approval; the 1st stage approval. But again a senior member can tel you better.
no, this is not correct. the first part of the application process is reviewing the total application for completeness (ie: missing/outdated forms) AND sponsor eligibility. The same thing happened to me. I did not submit the form 5406 because I did not realize all applicants must fill it out. Luckily, my application was not returned, CIC just requested that one form.

There are 2 things that can happen: Mississauga will send a request to the sponsor for the form before processing the application, or CIC will return the entire package (to the sponsor most likely). It is difficult to determine what will happen and how long the application will be delayed because people have had a variety of experiences with a missing form. For me, SA was only delayed a couple of weeks because CIC continued processing as soon as the form was received. Others had to wait longer, or until after the "bring forward date" that is listed in the request.

Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done at this point is to prepare the form and wait it out to see what happens. Sending the form to Mississaga now may not result it being properly attached to the application. I know it's tough. Trust me when I tell you stressing about it now does nothing good for you. This caused an emotional breakdown for me, and it wasn't pleasant. just know you are not the only one who's made the mistake. it will all work out as it should. :)

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
no, this is not correct. the first part of the application process is reviewing the total application for completeness (ie: missing/outdated forms) AND sponsor eligibility. The same thing happened to me. I did not submit the form 5406 because I did not realize all applicants must fill it out. Luckily, my application was not returned, CIC just requested that one form.

There are 2 things that can happen: Mississauga will send a request to the sponsor for the form before processing the application, or CIC will return the entire package (to the sponsor most likely). It is difficult to determine what will happen and how long the application will be delayed because people have had a variety of experiences with a missing form. For me, SA was only delayed a couple of weeks because CIC continued processing as soon as the form was received. Others had to wait longer, or until after the "bring forward date" that is listed in the request.

Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done at this point is to prepare the form and wait it out to see what happens. Sending the form to Mississaga now may not result it being properly attached to the application. I know it's tough. Trust me when I tell you stressing about it now does nothing good for you. This caused an emotional breakdown for me, and it wasn't pleasant. just know you are not the only one who's made the mistake. it will all work out as it should. :)
Okay thanks for the detailed info. I wish OP all the best may she be asked for missing form only.

MrsPersaud

Nov 20, 2014
Thanks handsup

rhcohen2014 said:

Okay, good to know! We'll be waiting for CIC's next instructions from now I guess. Thanks for the kind words!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
I also missed out a form for my step son .... They didn't send back my application but it did delay me by 2 months. I didn't get SA until my application was complete . They gave me a due date of 45 days to summit the form, it was after that due date they sent me an email giving me SA.

Renstr

Nov 25, 2014
So I need to submit this form even though it's just me coming? Seems weird they want to know about my siblings...

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Yes, you need to submit the form. You have to list all your family members, for any future applications. For example, your sister later wants to immigrate, and claims you in order to get points for the FSW program, but you never listed her. That would cause problems for both of you. Or if you want to sponsor your parents later, and include a younger sibling, but never listed them, then you cannot.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
I got the whole thing back because 2 signatures were missing so more than likely you'll get it returned though some lucky folks just had them request the documents.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
blueangel371115 said:
I got the whole thing back because 2 signatures were missing so more than likely you'll get it returned though some lucky folks just had them request the documents.
not necessarily, the trend has been - missing signatures and outdated forms = returned applications, missing forms = request for form. of course it's not a perfect trend. it just seems when 1 form is missing (not just a signature of a form already filled out), they send a request to the sponsor.