+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I did my soft landing but I was not allowed to apply for PR card

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by satish1947, Jun 21, 2018.

  1. Hello Guys,

    I landed on May 26th, and the officer asked me if I was moving permanently and I answered no and that I was just visiting and completing my landing formality. He then told me that I can only apply for a PR card once I move permanently. This happened at the ambassador bridge (Detroit-Windsor). He, however, asked me to complete the goods to follow list and handed me a letter stating that I have completed my soft landing.

    I am not sure what to do now?

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

  2. Simple you will need to apply for a PRTD if flying when you are ready to move permenantly or come back via the US land border and show your COPR to CBSA

    When You are back you can apply for your PR card
    Sudhir150 likes this.
  3. Call CIC customer and tell them you want to provide address for PR cards. Once CIC customer care updates your address, PR cards will be dispatched to you. If someone asks why you did not provide address at POE, tell them that you didn't have any address during landing but now you have found an accommodation.
  4. Thank you so much, guys :)
  5. It looks like they have been told to stick to the rules now. I suspect that we're going to see a lot of this in the future.


    However, if the client does not yet have a permanent address in Canada, they should be given the Address Notification – Permanent Resident Cardform[IMM 5456], which provides instructions to send in their permanent address when it becomes available. The client should be counselled to do so within 180 days in order to receive a PR card.

    Clients may update their address in Canada using one of the following methods:

    • access the online Address Notification tool on the IRCC website; or
    • provide the updated address to IRCC by using the case-specific enquiry form on the IRCC website.
    On occasion, at a POE, it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate the processing and issuance of the PR card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address. However, cases where there are clear indications that the initial entry into Canada is only of short duration and where it appears the client provided a third-party address for the purpose of forwarding the PR card outside Canada should be flagged with a note in the system indicating that the client may be outside Canada. If the client plans to leave Canada prior to receiving the PR card, the officer should counsel the client with respect to the requirements under subsection A31(3) for a travel document issued at a visa office abroad.
  6. Yes, I think that's right.

  7. satish1947,

    Were you able to receive your PR card ? If so did it get delivered to the Address you provided at POE or did you speak to CIC customer care and manually updated your Canadian address ?

    Please let me know as I was as asked for some temporary address at POE but was told the same information as yours at POE.

  8. @Sudhir150 @satish1947 I am in this situation as well. I got this yesterday. Can you please let me know if you guys still went ahead and gave friends address for getting the PR card or waited till you had a permanent address in Canada?

    @zardoz @APPNOV2014NY any suggestions?
  9. Hey, I moved sooner and applied for PR Card. I had to go to the IRCC office in Windsor and had to inform them.
  10. I Need to start the process of getting a job in Canada.
  11. No jobs or employers on this forum. You can always check sites such as indeed or linkedin
  12. Hey Satish,
    How did you go about securing your PR card after this?
    I am in a similar situation- I have been given an Address Notification form (IMM 5456) at the POE while soft landing. I am wondering if i should simply update them with my friend's address while i still continue to live outside of Canada? Or should i given them an address when re-enter Canada for a few weeks?
    Pls can someone help :)
  13. Others can comment or correct but once you have landed any follow on communication ref PR cards would be with IRCC not CBSA at the border so I would have thought provide an address to IRCC directly after you return for a few weeks. Assume you already know that if flying back you will need a PRTD given you have no PR card, if via US land border then your COPR will do.

Share This Page