+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied for study permit extension but I only got extension till my studies end.

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
My original study permit was expiring on Nov 31st 2020 which is why applied for extension since I finish some time around mid December. I also put until March 31st of next year in expected duration on the application but I still got extension till Dec 31st. This gives me no time to apply for pgwp.

What should I do now? I can apply for visitor visa and then apply for pgwp when I get graduation letter, but I don't want to apply for visitor visa to keep my status after I graduate since it doesn't allow me to work until I get pgwp.

Should I apply again for Study permit extension and explain the reason as me needing more time for pgwp?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Your permit was extended until the end of your program so you're not really entitled to more time. I suppose you will have to get your PGWP application in quickly or change to visitor status.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
My original study permit was expiring on Nov 31st 2020 which is why applied for extension since I finish some time around mid December. I also put until March 31st of next year in expected duration on the application but I still got extension till Dec 31st. This gives me no time to apply for pgwp.

What should I do now? I can apply for visitor visa and then apply for pgwp when I get graduation letter, but I don't want to apply for visitor visa to keep my status after I graduate since it doesn't allow me to work until I get pgwp.

Should I apply again for Study permit extension and explain the reason as me needing more time for pgwp?
Apply for a SP extension again.
@bongoman did the same.
Not sure what docs needed.
Sometimes I feel like VO's just forget.
Your passport doesn't expire on Dec 31 right?

You also can try getting in touch with IRCC and ask them about it.

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
Apply for a SP extension again.
@bongoman did the same.
Not sure what docs needed.
Sometimes I feel like VO's just forget.
Your passport doesn't expire on Dec 31 right?

You also can try getting in touch with IRCC and ask them about it.
No my passport is valid for way longer than that.

One thing I noticed in application, they did not ask for Letter of Attestation or transcripts. ( I was told from my university that I'd need these docs, I found this really weird, did they change the process?)

Also what do I ask the ircc? Should I outright say that I need more time than dec 31st to apply for pgwp or should I not mention that? What do I say to them?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
No my passport is valid for way longer than that.

One thing I noticed in application, they did not ask for Letter of Attestation or transcripts. ( I was told from my university that I'd need these docs, I found this really weird, did they change the process?)

Also what do I ask the ircc? Should I outright say that I need more time than dec 31st to apply for pgwp or should I not mention that? What do I say to them?

Why did you apply for study permit extension ?

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
Why did you apply for study permit extension ?
I was supposed to finish on Aug 2020 and my permit was till Nov 31st. Which was perfect as it would give me time to apply for pgwp. But now I'm finishing in December so I'd need extension till after December right?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I was supposed to finish on Aug 2020 and my permit was till Nov 31st. Which was perfect as it would give me time to apply for pgwp. But now I'm finishing in December so I'd need extension till after December right?
You don't need an extension if your studies will be done before the expiry date. I suppose you can apply but wanting more time to apply for a PGWP is not really a valid reason.

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
You don't need an extension if your studies will be done before the expiry date. I suppose you can apply but wanting more time to apply for a PGWP is not really a valid reason.
But as @bongoman said they applied for "bridge extension" of 3 months so that they would have time for pgwp. How is that not a valid reason? Everyone applied for extension for the same reason. The international office at me uni also told me to apply for extra 3 months

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
There is no formal concept of a "bridge extension." You are free to apply, all I am saying is that you may or may not get a further extension.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
IRCC knows and as a practice gives extra time to students as sometimes getting the documents for submitting a PGWP can take time.
In a month like December, there will be many holidays for working staff.

So you are legally entitled to 90 days after your program ends.
Unless your passport expires first, which is not the case.

Program completion
As per subsection R222(1), the duration of the validity of a study permit corresponds to the length of the program of studies plus 90 days following program completion. On the study permit, officers must continue to enter the expiry date of the program of study or of the applicant’s passport, whichever occurs first. For the purposes of this provision, program completion is interpreted as follows:

• Post-secondary students (and most adult students, even if not at a post-secondary institution): Coincides with the duration of their proposed course or program of study, plus an additional 90 days.

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/final-decisions.html

Reactions: amankjo

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
IRCC knows and as a practice gives extra time to students as sometimes getting the documents for submitting a PGWP can take time.
In a month like December, there will be many holidays for working staff.

So you are legally entitled to 90 days after your program expiry.
Unless your passport is expires first. Which is not the case.

Program completion
As per subsection R222(1), the duration of the validity of a study permit corresponds to the length of the program of studies plus 90 days following program completion. On the study permit, officers must continue to enter the expiry date of the program of study or of the applicant’s passport, whichever occurs first. For the purposes of this provision, program completion is interpreted as follows:

• Post-secondary students (and most adult students, even if not at a post-secondary institution): Coincides with the duration of their proposed course or program of study, plus an additional 90 days.

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/final-decisions.html
Ok that's good. I should talk to ircc about this. I don't know why they would not give the 90 days.

Thank you @captainarabiia, appreciate it.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Ok that's good. I should talk to ircc about this. I don't know why they would not give the 90 days.

Thank you @captainarabiia, appreciate it.

Anytime !
My first suggestion would be to call IRCC and tell them about it.
Sometimes they won't need you to submit a whole new app, rather just send you a permit with correct dates.
If that doesn't work, talk to your international office at your school.
But again, it's a very common thing.

Claire_zqymi

Dec 29, 2020
Hi @amankjo,
I’m in the same situation as yours. Would you mind telling me if you get approved for the SP extension? Cuz I’m wondering if I should apply for SP extension as well. Much appreciate it!

amankjo

Sep 19, 2020
Hi @amankjo,
I’m in the same situation as yours. Would you mind telling me if you get approved for the SP extension? Cuz I’m wondering if I should apply for SP extension as well. Much appreciate it!
Hey so my situation including several others was kinda different. My study permit was ending on nov 25th. Which is like 30 days extra since my final semester was gonna end on aug 31st. But I needed 1 more semester so ideally I would need to extend my study permit till March of 2021 since the semester would end in December.

Now I'm in quebec so I need to extend caq as well but the govt extended everyone's caq till Dec 31st automatically and rejected any redundant extension application. So I applied for study permit extension straight away. Ideally I should have gotten extension till March but for some reason everyone in my specific situation got till 31st December only. I contacted ircc but they gave me no answer. So if you were in the same situation as me I don't think the SP extension will get approved. I didn't apply for extension but fortunately I got my completion letter in time to apply for pgwp.

When is your final semester? If it's winter 2021 or later I think you should be able to get extension like normal. I think it was people like me who were graduating in dec 2020 with extension got fucked over.