+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied for grant of citizenship but received a letter regarding my "citizenship certificate"

7uss

Apr 9, 2013
I recently submitted an application for grant of citizenship, but today I received a letter in the mail from the Sydney office saying that my application for a "Citizenship Certificate" is being transferred to a Program Support Unit for final review.

I never submitted an application for a citizenship certificate. I know I don't have Canadian citizenship already in any shape or form.

This is definitely a mistake on the IRCC side. I will be calling them first thing Monday to clarify what's happening.

FYI, I submitted my application in mid-November, and I received AOR on Jan 17 and status in ECAS showed In Process since Feb 4th. Since then I haven't heard anything until today.

Has anyone had this happen to them? What advice can you give me?

Thank you!

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I suggest to get your local (federal) MP involved as soon as possible.
google to find your local mp

Reactions: Georgealex

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
I recently submitted an application for grant of citizenship, but today I received a letter in the mail from the Sydney office saying that my application for a "Citizenship Certificate" is being transferred to a Program Support Unit for final review.

I never submitted an application for a citizenship certificate. I know I don't have Canadian citizenship already in any shape or form.

This is definitely a mistake on the IRCC side. I will be calling them first thing Monday to clarify what's happening.

FYI, I submitted my application in mid-November, and I received AOR on Jan 17 and status in ECAS showed In Process since Feb 4th. Since then I haven't heard anything until today.

Thank you!
It’s probably just a mistake maybe the letter was for someone else.

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
Are you sure you submitted the correct application form? Give them a call and explain the situation. If you have the right form then it's definitely a mistake on their part.

Reactions: scorph

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013

Thank you!
The program support unit is where they send applications that they wish to scrutinize further. This department is responsible for doing RQ and the newest one everyone calls RQ-Lite. Check your ecas and you likely will see an update saying they sent you a letter regarding something recently.

Reactions: Georgealex

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
The program support unit is where they send applications that they wish to scrutinize further. This department is responsible for doing RQ and the newest one everyone calls RQ-Lite. Check your ecas and you likely will see an update saying they sent you a letter regarding something recently.
They already sent him a letter. He's not applying for a certificate.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
PSU also deals with name change requests. Wonder if OP requested that.

The letter about the citi certificate does look like it was sent in error, assuming OP used the correct forms and paid the correct fee.

Reactions: scorph

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
They already sent him a letter. He's not applying for a certificate.
I know he has the letter. I was telling him to also look in his ECAS and see if that also matches up. When you apply for a 'grant of citizenship' you are effectively applying for a 'certificate of citizenship'. The only difference being you weren't born here so they won't just 'issue' it and be done. They test you and give you the oath and then give it to you. Sometimes they send your file to the PSU to be scrutinized a bit further before they test/oath you.

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
I know he has the letter. I was telling him to also look in his ECAS and see if that also matches up. When you apply for a 'grant of citizenship' you are effectively applying for a 'certificate of citizenship'. The only difference being you weren't born here so they won't just 'issue' it and be done. They test you and give you the oath and then give it to you. Sometimes they send your file to the PSU to be scrutinized a bit further before they test/oath you.
I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
any update or response from the OP ?

Reactions: edmonds

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014

Thank you!
any update???

i have made an update on the ss for your IP and letter date

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
PSU also deals with name change requests. Wonder if OP requested that.

The letter about the citi certificate does look like it was sent in error, assuming OP used the correct forms and paid the correct fee.
Just out of curiosity, I know what OP stands for, but what is the full term / expanded form of OP?
What about PA?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Just out of curiosity, I know what OP stands for, but what is the full term / expanded form of OP?
What about PA?
OP is short for "Original Poster" which is defined as the person who started the thread/who wrote the very first post. In this case it refers to 7uss, because he/she is the person who started this particular thread.

PA doesn't have a particular meaning, I think.