+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied for eTA and they say I'm a Canadian Citizen !

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Hello everyone,

I live in the US and I hold a US green card, It's the second time I applied for the eTA, and both times they replied that I'm a Canadian Citizen !

"A review of your Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) application has revealed that you are a Canadian citizen.

Canadian citizens, including those who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country, are not eligible to apply for an eTA. eTA was set up to screen foreigners for admissibility to enter Canada on a temporary basis. Every Canadian citizen has the right to enter Canada and is not subject to immigration screening.

As a result, your application for an eTA has been withdrawn. Your application is now closed. You do not hold a valid eTA."

Do you know why and where I have to call? It doesn't seem applying once again may help.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
persianguy said:
Hello everyone,

I live in the US and I hold a US green card, It's the second time I applied for the eTA, and both times they replied that I'm a Canadian Citizen !

"A review of your Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) application has revealed that you are a Canadian citizen.

Canadian citizens, including those who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country, are not eligible to apply for an eTA. eTA was set up to screen foreigners for admissibility to enter Canada on a temporary basis. Every Canadian citizen has the right to enter Canada and is not subject to immigration screening.

As a result, your application for an eTA has been withdrawn. Your application is now closed. You do not hold a valid eTA."

Do you know why and where I have to call? It doesn't seem applying once again may help.

Thanks
Apply for proof of citizenship? That, at least, should reset any bad flags and you never know....

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
bellaluna said:
Someone who is a Canadian citizen has the same name, date of birth, and country of birth?
It would be interesting if there's an exact identical record in the CIC database.... but of a Canadian citizen

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
I don't have a Canadian PR. And my name is not a common name to say someone with the exact same ids live in Canada.

What is proof of citizenship ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You are a Canadian citizen if:
1. You were a Canadian PR and applied for and received your citizenship, or
2. You were born in Canada, or
3. You were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was born in Canada/was a naturalized Canadian citizen before you were born

Nonetheless, you can check if you are a Canadian citizen by:
https://na1.se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=25e45164-6ea8-4adb-a596-4de03b4a4e9c

Otherwise, it is probably a technical error and you can send a Case Specific Enquiry

gatorengineer

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-16
Doc's Request.
11-08-16
AOR Received.
27-06-16
IELTS Request
CELPIP Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-07-16
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2016
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
persianguy said:
I don't have a Canadian PR. And my name is not a common name to say someone with the exact same ids live in Canada.

What is proof of citizenship ?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

jasonchen39

Dec 20, 2016
Hi OP,

I have the same exact situation!!!!
May I know what is your solution to this?
My girlfriend and I are travelling to Canada tomorrow and we are so desperate now...

I look forward to your soon reply!!! Thanks!!

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
I decided to go through the land border. If you already bought the ticket go there and tell them what happened. I believe there should be a process for that. BUT, MAKE SURE YOUR AIRLINE LETS YOU TO GET INTO THE AIRPLANE !

emigdiox

Jan 3, 2017
The same thing happened to my wife's eTa, but the consular offices couldn't help us and we will travel on February... Anyone got a solution? Helppp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
emigdiox said:
The same thing happened to my wife's eTa, but the consular offices couldn't help us and we will travel on February... Anyone got a solution? Helppp
Did your wife have PR status at some point in Canada (perhaps as a child)? If so, she needs to officially give up her PR status before she can qualify for an ETA.

emigdiox

Jan 3, 2017
scylla said:
Did your wife have PR status at some point in Canada (perhaps as a child)? If so, she needs to officially give up her PR status before she can qualify for an ETA.
No she has never visited Canada or her parents :(

Bushra Umer

Jul 1, 2017
I am having a same problem !
They said I am a Canadian citizen but I am not ! I am permenant resident of US and they withdraw my application
What I can do now !
Can I travel with my green card only ? :(:(:(