+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied Extension visitor record while the sponsorship still not process

Ghenzkie

Nov 10, 2018
Hi My husband and my Daughter are US Citizen they living with me. We submit application for sponsorship last April still not processing. They can only stay here until Aug 1st, that’s why I applied for Extension while waiting but i put in the form about the question how long they want to stay i wrote till November 1st. But now my husband want to stay and work while waiting for PR. Is it possible to him to apply for open work permit??

thank you in advance for the answer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi My husband and my Daughter are US Citizen they living with me. We submit application for sponsorship last April still not processing. They can only stay here until Aug 1st, that’s why I applied for Extension while waiting but i put in the form about the question how long they want to stay i wrote till November 1st. But now my husband want to stay and work while waiting for PR. Is it possible to him to apply for open work permit??

thank you in advance for the answer
Did you submit an inland or outland sponsorship application? If inland, then you can submit an open work permit application.

EDIT: Based on your historical posts, it looks like you submitted an outland sponsorship application. If that's accurate, your husband doesn't qualify for an open work permit.

Ghenzkie

Nov 10, 2018
Did you submit an inland or outland sponsorship application? If inland, then you can submit an open work permit application.

EDIT: Based on your historical posts, it looks like you submitted an outland sponsorship application. If that's accurate, your husband doesn't qualify for an open work permit.
Yes we applied outland. Still waiting to process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes we applied outland. Still waiting to process.
So in that case there are no options for an open work permit.

Your husband would need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada (and possibly an approved LMIA depending on the occupation) in order to qualify to apply for a closed work permit.

Ghenzkie

Nov 10, 2018
So in that case there are no options for an open work permit.

Your husband would need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada (and possibly an approved LMIA depending on the occupation) in order to qualify to apply for a closed work permit.
What usually job do they accept for LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What usually job do they accept for LMIA?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

To qualify for a work permit your husband has to secure a job offer in Canada. Assuming he is a US citizen and if the job is in an occupation that falls under NAFTA, then he can apply for the work permit directly without the employer getting an approved LMIA.

If the job does not fall under NAFTA, then the employer needs to get an approved LMIA which is typically a 4-6 month process. It's generally very difficult to find employers willing to go through this process, even more so now due to COVID-19 and high unemployment rates.

Ghenzkie

Nov 10, 2018
I'm not sure I understand your question.

To qualify for a work permit your husband has to secure a job offer in Canada. Assuming he is a US citizen and if the job is in an occupation that falls under NAFTA, then he can apply for the work permit directly without the employer getting an approved LMIA.

If the job does not fall under NAFTA, then the employer needs to get an approved LMIA which is typically a 4-6 month process. It's generally very difficult to find employers willing to go through this process, even more so now due to COVID-19 and high unemployment rates.

I need to research more about the NAFTA, he is US veterans and used to work in the VA. He is getting his BS administration before we move here.

I believe LMIA usually approved for food and services job here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need to research more about the NAFTA, he is US veterans and used to work in the VA. He is getting his BS administration before we move here.

I believe LMIA usually approved for food and services job here.
The NAFTA occupation list is here:

https://tnvisaexpert.com/overview/nafta-job-list/

LMIAs can be approved for all sorts of jobs. To be approved, the employer has to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Right now that's quite difficult to prove due to high unemployment rates.