+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am the principal candidate but my spouse is Hiv+

Chutzpah

Dec 12, 2019
Hi,
I am the principal candidate, my spouse is Hiv+. I will will be applying under express entry.
I have googled and found out that it depends upon the estimated cost burden on the health care system.
My question is, I am the principal applicant and I am hiv negative, can my spouse's hiv positive status be a ground for medical inadmissibility?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am the principal candidate, my spouse is Hiv+. I will will be applying under express entry.
I have googled and found out that it depends upon the estimated cost burden on the health care system.
My question is, I am the principal applicant and I am hiv negative, can my spouse's hiv positive status be a ground for medical inadmissibility?
Yes - this can be grounds for medical inadmissibility. Both of you must pass the medical in order for your PR visa to be approved. Whether medical inadmissibility is an issue will depend on the severity of your spouse's health situation and current medications they are taking.

Reactions: Chutzpah

Chutzpah

Dec 12, 2019
Yes - this can be grounds for medical inadmissibility. Both of you must pass the medical in order for your PR visa to be approved. Whether medical inadmissibility is an issue will depend on the severity of your spouse's health situation and current medications they are taking.
Thanks for the reply!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply!
Their are HIV+ people who get PR. Really dependent on the individual case. You should be aware that Canada has no national pharmacare program so it will be important to research the various health programs in each provinces and there is increased importance of having extended benefit plans in any chronic illness.

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi,
Go ahead and apply...... There is NO medical inadmissibility for HIV + these days. Me and several +ve guys have got their PR since May 2018 ....If your wife is on (any) medication for more than a year and Undetectable, she will 100% clear the medicals

There are several provinces which give HIV medicines for free... eg British Columbia, Alberta, Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick & Newfoundland. There are few threads in the forum about the Positive immigrants and Would be glad to help you about the medical exams and the process....Best of luck

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you have been living with your spouse for over a year or married. Apply for spousal sponsorship. No medical admissibility for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Go ahead and apply...... There is NO medical inadmissibility for HIV + these days. Me and several +ve guys have got their PR since May 2018 ....If your wife is on (any) medication for more than a year and Undetectable, she will 100% clear the medicals

There are several provinces which give HIV medicines for free... eg British Columbia, Alberta, Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick & Newfoundland. There are few threads in the forum about the Positive immigrants and Would be glad to help you about the medical exams and the process....Best of luck
This is incorrect. You don’t know their medical history so there are certainly cases where an HIV+ person can be refused due to excessive medical demand. Many people are approved but to say NO medical inadmissibility is wrong. You are expected to use your extended benefits plan to access medication if you have one. For public health reason free medications are available in some provinces to make sure people are accessing medication in the hopes that transmission rates will decrease and that keeping people healthy is less expensive to the healthcare system.

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
This is incorrect. You don’t know their medical history so there are certainly cases where an HIV+ person can be refused due to excessive medical demand. Many people are approved but to say NO medical inadmissibility is wrong. You are expected to use your extended benefits plan to access medication if you have one. For public health reason free medications are available in some provinces to make sure people are accessing medication in the hopes that transmission rates will decrease and that keeping people healthy is less expensive to the healthcare system.
You know their medical history? Are you their Doctor ? Did he tell you about his wife’s co-infections?

You are NOT an expert or a qualified person to answer immigration/ healthcare related questions....Just a random guy who spends an insane amount of time in these forums half-mentoring and giving half-baked answers to questions about Tax, Healthcare, settlement, Law, housing ,Childcare, Housing, plumbing etc

How i use benefits plan is upto me and the Canada / provincial government. Bore someone else with your social welfare lectures. Whatever info I need is on the govt websites

Your hidden vendetta to bully / scare people away by pretending to help can be understood by just looking at your various Toxic replies to the people asking healthcare related questions.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You know their medical history? Are you their Doctor ? Did he tell you about his wife’s co-infections?

You are NOT an expert or a qualified person to answer immigration/ healthcare related questions....Just a random guy who spends an insane amount of time in these forums half-mentoring and giving half-baked answers to questions about Tax, Healthcare, settlement, Law, housing ,Childcare, Housing, plumbing etc

How i use benefits plan is upto me and the Canada / provincial government. Bore someone else with your social welfare lectures. Whatever info I need is on the govt websites

Your hidden vendetta to bully / scare people away by pretending to help can be understood by just looking at your various Toxic replies to the people asking healthcare related questions.
You were the one guaranteeing admission. I said many people are approved but without a complete medical history and drug review nobody can be guaranteed admission. Public forum I can post what I want and have helped many people. Glad to see I have become a plumbing expert, I had no idea I had picked up that skill.

Reactions: Qwertypod

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
You were the one guaranteeing admission. I said many people are approved but without a complete medical history and drug review nobody can be guaranteed admission. Public forum I can post what I want and have helped many people. Glad to see I have become a plumbing expert, I had no idea I had picked up that skill.
Oh...u are playing the Good Samaritan now....may be somebody should give you an award for “helping” people :D

You are not an expert on anything or qualified to give advices.......just one of the thousands of users here

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Oh...u are playing the Good Samaritan now....may be somebody should give you an award for “helping” people :D

You are not an expert on anything or qualified to give advices.......just one of the thousands of users here
“ to give advice”, not advices. Note , if you’re going to attempt to lecture people , please check your grammar before you go off the rails on a tangent