+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am shocked by the tiny tiny market of Canada

james_saudade

Jul 6, 2020
Haven't you made a similar post on RFD?

2 month is honestly not long for job search

The pandemic certainly isn't helping either. My internship got cancelled as well :(

Anyway a decent amount of classmates from college got decent programming job after graduation and they come from different backgrounds

Maybe keep improving your hard/soft skills when looking

All the best

Reactions: nayr69sg

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
I would ask you how many job interviews you have done and how many final interviews you have done.

I come from the UK, and my small tiny miny town of Manchester has sooo many FinTech opportunities. And they hire people with literally no knowledge of programming. I am not aware of the situation in Canada since I am not applying nor will I be anytime soon. But me and my friend once made a Job ad and interviewed some candidates for a small project.
Surprise, surprise the CV looks soooo promising and coloured with 3 different work experiences during the undergraduate years, and yet when you ask them how Java saves integers or how to normalize a vector you get a total silence. These candidates were from Ryarson and UofT...

Just saying...

Reactions: k.h.p.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I would ask you how many job interviews you have done and how many final interviews you have done.

I come from the UK, and my small tiny miny town of Manchester has sooo many FinTech opportunities. And they hire people with literally no knowledge of programming. I am not aware of the situation in Canada since I am not applying nor will I be anytime soon. But me and my friend once made a Job ad and interviewed some candidates for a small project.
Surprise, surprise the CV looks soooo promising and coloured with 3 different work experiences during the undergraduate years, and yet when you ask them how Java saves integers or how to normalize a vector you get a total silence. These candidates were from Ryarson and UofT...

Just saying...
They're obviously not the brightest candidates if they couldn't spot your fake job posting

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Just saying...
Are you sure they were actually graduates of a bachelors or masters from U of T or Ryerson in CS or computer engineering? Don’t buy that they didn’t have decent knowledge and still graduate. Why were they applying for jobs in the UK and not even in London? Something doesn’t sound right.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Are you sure they were actually graduates of a bachelors or masters from U of T or Ryerson in CS or computer engineering? Don’t buy that they didn’t have decent knowledge and still graduate. Why were they applying for jobs in the UK and not even in London? Something doesn’t sound right.
Manchester is hardly a tiny town either. It's comparable to many Canadian cities and is kind of the San Francisco of the UK since it has a huge tech sector but a lower cost of living than London. I would expect anybody who works in FinTech in Manchester to know that really.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Manchester is hardly a tiny town either. It's comparable to many Canadian cities and is kind of the San Francisco of the UK since it has a huge tech sector but a lower cost of living than London. I would expect anybody who works in FinTech in Manchester to know that really.
I wasn’t aware that Manchester is the SF of the UK and also didn’t call it tiny. I still don’t believe the statement that they hire anyone even without programming experience yet those with actual real degrees from u of T and Ryerson had no skills.

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
Just keep trying. I am also Chinese and I do not even have a degree in Canada relevant to the job I want to find. All I have is a college certificate. I want to switch career to UI/UX, so I took 3 months to complete the college certificate. I started looking for work early this June. Without prior experience in UI/UX, only some experience in graphic design and industrial design, it was surprising that so far at least six or seven companies in the IT sector were interested in giving me an interview, one of them being a government institution. However, none of them is in GTA, because employers in GTA simply don't check my resume! I know this because I can see online they don't check. So far I received an offer from a small Web design company, but I turned down the offer that required me to respond urgently, because I want to wait for the opportunity from the government institution.

Networking is important in Canada, because 80% of the companies do not hire people from online. The whole recruitment process online is exhausting, both for job applicants and companies. The interview process usually takes one month, not to mention they have to screen more than 200 applicants at this moment and make the situation more than competitive. In order to save time and effort, most companies either hire internally or trust referrals. So you must network. Do not limit yourself to online job applications. Reach out to people and organizations that may lead you to an opportunity. For example, I cold emailed the HR director of the government institution and they looked into my resume directly and thought I could be a good fit. Another case of receiving an interview invite is I found an organization that helps immigrants look for work. They are funded by the government and local businesses and they endorse job applicants to local businesses so they may have a better chance to receive an interview. I contacted the employer of a local business the organization endorsed me to, and found they are not actively hiring, but they still wanted to give me a chance.

As a Chinese job applicant who also has the experience of looking for work in China, I can responsibly tell, the way of recruiting people in Canada is different than that in China. First, Canadians trust credentials and relevant experience. In China, as a fresh graduate you can do anything, but in Canada, if you do not have prior experience in sales, you cannot be sales. The same thing applies to cashiers or office assistants. Credentials and relevant prior experience are king, not education or GPA or something academic. Second, you are comparing China, a country with 1.4 billion people, but only 9% with a bachelor's degree including yourself, with Canada, a country with only 37 million people, just 1.5 times Shanghai's population, but more than 20% with a college diploma. China sells manufacturing, but Western countries sell brains, so western people are overly educated, making average graduates with little experience hard to stand out.

Anyways, in a nutshell, you are experiencing culture shock and reluctant to adjust your strategies.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Just keep trying. I am also Chinese and I do not even have a degree in Canada relevant to the job I want to find. All I have is a college certificate. I want to switch career to UI/UX, so I took 3 months to complete the college certificate. I started looking for work early this June. Without prior experience in UI/UX, only some experience in graphic design and industrial design, it was surprising that so far at least six or seven companies in the IT sector were interested in giving me an interview, one of them being a government institution. However, none of them is in GTA, because employers in GTA simply don't check my resume! I know this because I can see online they don't check. So far I received an offer from a small Web design company, but I turned down the offer that required me to respond urgently, because I want to wait for the opportunity from the government institution.

Networking is important in Canada, because 80% of the companies do not hire people from online. The whole recruitment process online is exhausting, both for job applicants and companies. The interview process usually takes one month, not to mention they have to screen more than 200 applicants at this moment and make the situation more than competitive. In order to save time and effort, most companies either hire internally or trust referrals. So you must network. Do not limit yourself to online job applications. Reach out to people and organizations that may lead you to an opportunity. For example, I cold emailed the HR director of the government institution and they looked into my resume directly and thought I could be a good fit. Another case of receiving an interview invite is I found an organization that helps immigrants look for work. They are funded by the government and local businesses and they endorse job applicants to local businesses so they may have a better chance to receive an interview. I contacted the employer of a local business the organization endorsed me to, and found they are not actively hiring, but they still wanted to give me a chance.

As a Chinese job applicant who also has the experience of looking for work in China, I can responsibly tell, the way of recruiting people in Canada is different than that in China. First, Canadians trust credentials and relevant experience. In China, as a fresh graduate you can do anything, but in Canada, if you do not have prior experience in sales, you cannot be sales. The same thing applies to cashiers or office assistants. Credentials and relevant prior experience are king, not education or GPA or something academic. Second, you are comparing China, a country with 1.4 billion people, but only 9% with a bachelor's degree including yourself, with Canada, a country with only 37 million people, just 1.5 times Shanghai's population, but more than 20% with a college diploma. China sells manufacturing, but Western countries sell brains, so western people are overly educated, making average graduates with little experience hard to stand out.

Anyways, in a nutshell, you are experiencing culture shock and reluctant to adjust your strategies.
Any reason why you think employers in Toronto don't look at your resume?

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
Any reason why you think employers in Toronto don't look at your resume?
When you apply online, you can see if employers have given your application a view. I think GTA is a competitive place with tons of graduates looking for work. They have more than enough resumes to pay for and check other than mine. Another reason can be I do not have connections there because I do not live in GTA. Companies that have contacted me are in Ottawa, Montreal, London Ontario, Vancouver and Halifax. I am looking for work nationally but since my current residence is in Ottawa, it is my first consideration. Cannot care less about GTA ... maybe this attitude goes both ways.

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019

Hi, I'm interested in learning more about your UI/UX certificate, is it in UI/UX design or general UI/UX practices? Do you have a design background?

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I'm interested in learning more about your UI/UX certificate, is it in UI/UX design or general UI/UX practices? Do you have a design background?
I would love to explain more about it. I hold a bachelor's degree in Industrial Design in my home country. Before coming to Canada, I worked as an industrial designer and a graphic designer. So yes I have a design background. For a person with a design background, UI design is supposed to be easy. If without, it may take some time to develop the design proficiency, just like learning a language. Either you learn online with Youtube videos like most self-taught designers, or you join some design boot camps to learn with a mentor, depending on your budget and determination.

The college certificate I have got is related to UX only. The whole curriculum is based on Jacob Nelson's UX practice widely applied in computer science. UX is quite different from UI. It has lots of boxes to draw and documents to write. It requires a logical mind and strong writing skills. If you only focus on UI, you will be a craft man; but if you also focus on UX, you will be a researcher and even a developer at the end. But this also depends on your interest. Many people seem to be interested in making flashy illustrations or cool motion graphics in a visual aspect, whereas some people like to care about products and services and improve the functionality aspect. If you have a background in computer science, interaction design or even cognitive psychology, equipped with some degree of visual skills, UX is definitely a good choice, and the visual presentation does not have to be as good as that of UI designers or graphic designers.

Personally I hope to be a comprehensive designer, as I focus on both the visual and functionality aspects. Some programming knowledge is required, but you do not need to code at all. If you hope to develop yourself in this field, there are a few things to learn, UI design, UX process, some basic programming knowledge. With all these equipped, build a killer online portfolio to showcase what you got. Although most employers do care about your real world experience (then you can get out there asking people around to see if they need to design anything, sometimes just one project is enough), they care more about whether you demonstrate your potential. This will lead you to the entrance. Entry can be hard without prior UI/UX real world experience, but it is doable. I think what I said above is just some cliche you can easily find online, but it is so true. Hope my explanation helps.

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
I would love to explain more about it. I hold a bachelor's degree in Industrial Design in my home country. Before coming to Canada, I worked as an industrial designer and a graphic designer. So yes I have a design background. For a person with a design background, UI design is supposed to be easy. If without, it may take some time to develop the design proficiency, just like learning a language. Either you learn online with Youtube videos like most self-taught designers, or you join some design boot camps to learn with a mentor, depending on your budget and determination.

The college certificate I have got is related to UX only. The whole curriculum is based on Jacob Nelson's UX practice widely applied in computer science. UX is quite different from UI. It has lots of boxes to draw and documents to write. It requires a logical mind and strong writing skills. If you only focus on UI, you will be a craft man; but if you also focus on UX, you will be a researcher and even a developer at the end. But this also depends on your interest. Many people seem to be interested in making flashy illustrations or cool motion graphics in a visual aspect, whereas some people like to care about products and services and improve the functionality aspect. If you have a background in computer science, interaction design or even cognitive psychology, equipped with some degree of visual skills, UX is definitely a good choice, and the visual presentation does not have to be as good as that of UI designers or graphic designers.

Personally I hope to be a comprehensive designer, as I focus on both the visual and functionality aspects. Some programming knowledge is required, but you do not need to code at all. If you hope to develop yourself in this field, there are a few things to learn, UI design, UX process, some basic programming knowledge. With all these equipped, build a killer online portfolio to showcase what you got. Although most employers do care about your real world experience (then you can get out there asking people around to see if they need to design anything, sometimes just one project is enough), they care more about whether you demonstrate your potential. This will lead you to the entrance. Entry can be hard without prior UI/UX real world experience, but it is doable. I think what I said above is just some cliche you can easily find online, but it is so true. Hope my explanation helps.
Interesting! Thank you for your detailed explanation.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017

Very well explained! You write well and convey your thoughts clearly and eloquently.

You will do well. I wish you all the very best in your career!

Cheers!

:)

hawklutz

Jun 28, 2017
My co-worker at a retail store who graduated from SAIT in Calgary with a web developer degree 4 months ago hasn't had a single interview in about 4 months. Born and raised in Calgary. Applying non-stop almost every day.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
My co-worker at a retail store who graduated from SAIT in Calgary with a web developer degree 4 months ago hasn't had a single interview in about 4 months. Born and raised in Calgary. Applying non-stop almost every day.
The problem with IT is it is an area where you need experience. It can be extremely difficult to get into the industry with no paid experience whatsoever unless you either manage to get on a graduate work program or you can secure a helpdesk or junior job somewhere and then work your way up. At the moment it's going to be worse than usual because many companies are working remotely and few companies are going to want to take the risk on a fresh graduate.

This will apply to pretty much all countries as well, not just Canada.