+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am shocked by the tiny tiny market of Canada

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
I am a Chinese who got a CS degree at a Canadian university with a VERY HIGH GPA. I have been looking for a job in Canada for 2 months and haven’t gotten one. One may say it is because of COVID-19, but I heard that the job market here was not much better before that. I have to say, Canada is a too too too small market, and the opportunities here are too few. I come here to live in a democratic society, and Canada is excellent in this respect, but, pros and cons, the lack of work opportunities is the cost it takes. When I was in China, I only had a philosophy degree, but I got a white collar job immediately after graduation. In a huge market like China, you can get a desired job in at most 1 month. However, now in Canada, I have a CS degree, but no company is willing to give me a chance. For those who think Canada has plenty jobs for programmers, they just don’t know what a truly huge market looks like.

And I heard that to have a job, in most cases, you have to know someone in a company and get her/him referred you. You know what, this only happens in a tiny country like Canada, and in China we never do that, because you cannot fill as many as hundreds of millions' positions just by internal reference. I am very uncomfortable about the situation here. I never make friends to just use them to refer jobs for me, which disgusts me.

Besides, all the interviews I got in Canada were given by companies operated by my countrymen. For those established by local people, they rarely even take a look at my resume. They are practicing Canadian first, though they claim that they are equal opportunity employers.

This is the most desprate time in my life, and I am so disappointed by the job market here.

Reactions: PG12

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am a Chinese who got a CS degree at a Canadian university with a VERY HIGH GPA. I have been looking for a job in Canada for 2 months and haven’t gotten one. One may say it is because of COVID-19, but I heard that the job market here was not much better before that. I have to say, Canada is a too too too small market, and the opportunities here are too few. I come here to live in a democratic society, and Canada is excellent in this respect, but, pros and cons, the lack of work opportunities is the cost it takes. When I was in China, I only had a philosophy degree, but I got a white collar job immediately after graduation. In a huge market like China, you can get a desired job in at most 1 month. However, now in Canada, I have a CS degree, but no company is willing to give me a chance. For those who think Canada has plenty jobs for programmers, they just don’t know what a truly huge market looks like.

And I heard that to have a job, in most cases, you have to know someone in a company and get her/him referred you. You know what, this only happens in a tiny country like Canada, and in China we never do that, because you cannot fill as many as hundreds of millions' positions just by internal reference. I am very uncomfortable about the situation here. I never make friends to just use them to refer jobs for me, which disgusts me.

Besides, all the interviews I got in Canada were given by companies operated by my countrymen. For those established by local people, they rarely even take a look at my resume. They are practicing Canadian first, though they claim that they are equal opportunity employers.

This is the most desprate time in my life, and I am so disappointed by the job market here.
You cannot compare a market with one billon plus people to a market with under 40 million
Maybe a bit of leg work was in order PRIOR to doing your education here , just maybe, before going on and posting how disappointed you are

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017

Besides, all the interviews I got in Canada were given by companies operated by my countrymen.
For those established by local people, they rarely even take a look at my resume. They are practicing Canadian first, though they claim that they are equal opportunity employers.

Interesting.

So why did your countrymen not give you the jobs? Because you were not friends of theirs?

Seems strange to me.

Keep trying. I guess it is a bad time to be looking for a job. Hope things get better for you.

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
To be honest, I have never heard that a CS graduate cannot find a job.
I have heard several cases. Maybe it is partly because of my location, which is MB, but I have been applying for positions across the country.
I heard a CS grad didn't find a job until 8 months later, and another became a salesman since he couldn't get a programmer job.
For those who entered co-op program, the situation is much better, but the intake rate of co-op is only 50%.

This is the worst place in the world regarding job seeking.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have heard several cases. Maybe it is partly because of my location, which is MB, but I have been applying for positions across the country.
I heard a CS grad didn't find a job until 8 months later, and another became a salesman since he couldn't get a programmer job.
For those who entered co-op program, the situation is much better, but the intake rate of co-op is only 50%.

This is the worst place in the world regarding job seeking.
What school did you graduate from? What degree did you do? Think that is one of your issues as well as being on a WP. If you had graduated from Waterloo on a PGWP think there is a very good chance you might have a job offer but with covid it still may have been an issue. Would add that there haa been very little hiring because of covid except in a few sectors like PSWs, distribution, grocery, etc. As others have said you can't compare China and Canada. Would disagree that jobs in China aren't dependent on who you or your parents know. For well paying jobs it certainly matters who you or your family know in China.

Reactions: nayr69sg

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Believe it or not!

China also do that! A friend of mine who also came from China, who returned to China after gave birth in Canada, got her job in a multinational company like Warner's after being referred by a friend of her husband's. So you don't even know what it's like in your country.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You neither know the current job situation in China.

Since the trade war between China and the United States began, more business/manufacturers move their base in China to other countries - as a result it is not easy for people to find desired job - at least not in a month. I know some people who had been laidoff and couldn't find work for months even before covid.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

so sorry, perhaps, it is your attitude, not your qualifications.

Yqing237

Jun 12, 2019

So in CS no one cares about ur gpa. If you can crack coding questions and get some interviews from big tech like FAANG. You will be Gucci. As far as I know, Amazon is even taking candidates from China, shipped directly to Canada. In that matter, you got way more leverage than other overseas candidates. My fellow advice is: hit up recruiters on LinkedIn nonstop, this will get you interviews. Keep doing leetcode non stop.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
There's definitely more to the story than you let on and like mentioned above your attitude may be the factor in question. I do not know a single CS graduate from a university that was unable to find a job.

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
I would think that the competition in Canada is harder than in other countries. The competition is made out of the number of applicants per job posting. So you can either see it from the perspective of not having enough jobs or from the perspective of having too many high skilled people for the number of jobs posted.

I found my job search to be quite okay. Landed in Toronto about 2 years back, had just recently graduated in my home country with a Computational Linguistic related MSc degree and got my first job (internship) after 3 months, without having any connections. After the internship came to an end I got a permanent position with a competitor and moved to Montreal, again without having any connections.

So my advice would just be to hang in there and keep on trying. Not having a job after 2 months isn't uncommon.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
What is yet to come - as disappointment for you - is much worse. School has not prepared for jungle life, tempted to say.
Reality check can be brutal. So you must adopt this mindset: "The higher you build your barriers. The taller I become. "
2-month is nothing. Keep calm and carry on as per previous poster advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would think that the competition in Canada is harder than in other countries. The competition is made out of the number of applicants per job posting. So you can either see it from the perspective of not having enough jobs or from the perspective of having too many high skilled people for the number of jobs posted.

I found my job search to be quite okay. Landed in Toronto about 2 years back, had just recently graduated in my home country with a Computational Linguistic related MSc degree and got my first job (internship) after 3 months, without having any connections. After the internship came to an end I got a permanent position with a competitor and moved to Montreal, again without having any connections.

So my advice would just be to hang in there and keep on trying. Not having a job after 2 months isn't uncommon.
There are certainly a lot of competition for certain jobs especially in the GTA. There are certain positions that are favoured in many countries by parents so you have a lot of engineers, pharmacists, dentists, doctors, lawyers, etc. immigrating to Canada. There is a huge surplus of pharmacists and dentists for example. Although salaries have been decreasing for 10+ years there has been no adjustment to the number of foreign trained dentist and pharmacists. We certainly need more IT people. Canadian school system haven’t focused enough on IT and is not funnelling enough skilled students into IT programs in college/university.