+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am PR holder and getting married in India

ay9842

Jul 14, 2019
I got my PR as dependent of my common law partner, we've been in common law since 2020. Currently, we are getting separated for personal reasons, I am doing arrange marriage in India and my wedding is in January, so I want to know how to bring my wife to Canada. Since the current waiting period for spousal sponsorship is 12-18 months, I'm thinking about applying for a visit visa right after applying for PR, so she can stay with me.

Also want to confirm if there is some sort of restriction like I can only bring my wife after 3 year, I read on IRCC site that if we sponsored someone then we cannot do another sponsorship for 3 year, I am not sure if this applies to me as I was not married and just living as gf bf.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got my PR as dependent of my common law partner, we've been in common law since 2020. Currently, we are getting separated for personal reasons, I am doing arrange marriage in India and my wedding is in January, so I want to know how to bring my wife to Canada. Since the current waiting period for spousal sponsorship is 12-18 months, I'm thinking about applying for a visit visa right after applying for PR, so she can stay with me.

Also want to confirm if there is some sort of restriction like I can only bring my wife after 3 year, I read on IRCC site that if we sponsored someone then we cannot do another sponsorship for 3 year, I am not sure if this applies to me as I was not married and just living as gf bf.
Yes, you can try applying for a TRV for your new spouse. Approval chances are likely 50/50. Note that in order to sponsor your new spouse, you must be living in Canada at the time you submit your application and then continue to live in Canada while the application was processed.

It's not 100% clear if you received your PR status by being sponsored through Family Class by your Canadian spouse or if you were a dependent in an economic PR application (such as Express Entry). If the first, then you must wait for 5 years from the date you landed in Canada and became a PR before you can sponsor your new spouse. If the second, then there are no restrictions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Looks like you only became a PR at the end of March 2022. The fact that you are already set to get “married” again may cause some scrutiny when it comes to whether you were still in a relationship when you received PR or whether you lived together but the relationship was over (if you still lived together) because you were waiting for PR. When did you start the matching process? Have you met in person already? It is also fairly unusual to live as common law and then go with an arranged marriage as your second “marriage” since common law is essentially a marriage. Living as common law is frowned upon in many cultures where arranged marriages are the norm and many families would not want to be matched with someone who has been in a common law relationship. Even getting married to someone who has been divorced if you haven’t been divorced can be viewed negatively by families. Much better than it used to be and some cultures and sects that are more progressive are more accepting but still an issue for many families especially if it was the woman who was the one who lived in a common law relationship.