+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am on Open Work Permit want to buy house, please help.

Ronny123

Oct 23, 2020
Hi there

I have 18 months left on my open work permit and my PR application is still under process. I am being sponsored by my wife who is PR in here in Canada for my PR application. Since its a good opportunity to buy a house at this time, we don't want to miss the train. My PR application was submitted 2 years ago and I haven't heard back yet.

Could someone advise me, can I and my wife buy a house jointly and I get exempt from paying 20% foreign entity tax since my wife is PR here? Please advise me

Yazin

Oct 30, 2020
This is a mortgage broker question, First why you are on a work permit unless you came in a work permit then you got married. You need to ask a mortgage broker if you can be a co-applicant as the property should go under your wife's name so you don't have to pay the foreign property tax. Also you need to show two years of employment to get approved.

Reactions: Ronny123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My guess is you pay your portion of the foreign property tax. If you don't to pay, why don't you get your wife full ownership first and then after you became PR, transfer the half ownership to yourself?

@Yazin : This is not a mortgage broker question! They need a notary public or lawyer to do the legal paperwork.

fzindani

Star Member
May 5, 2015
canada
Category........
AINP
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
16-11-2018
Nomination.....
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
21-03-2019
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
06-09-2019
Med's Done....
06-16-2019
Hi there

I have 18 months left on my open work permit and my PR application is still under process. I am being sponsored by my wife who is PR in here in Canada for my PR application. Since its a good opportunity to buy a house at this time, we don't want to miss the train. My PR application was submitted 2 years ago and I haven't heard back yet.

Could someone advise me, can I and my wife buy a house jointly and I get exempt from paying 20% foreign entity tax since my wife is PR here? Please advise me
Hi i was a work permit holder when i bought a property with my brother in law who was a pr at that time. Yes u can buy it. What city or province are u in? Let me know if i can be any help

fzindani

Star Member
May 5, 2015
canada
Category........
AINP
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
16-11-2018
Nomination.....
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
21-03-2019
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
06-09-2019
Med's Done....
06-16-2019
Hi i was a work permit holder when i bought a property with my brother in law who was a pr at that time. Yes u can buy it. What city or province are u in? Let me know if i can be any help
Also i bought the property cosigning with my brother in law so u can see i didnt even need to be married to anyone to cosign. The mortgage broker who helped us said as long as u have full time job. So u shoudl be fine. Also talk to brokers

Ronny123

Oct 23, 2020
My guess is you pay your portion of the foreign property tax. If you don't to pay, why don't you get your wife full ownership first and then after you became PR, transfer the half ownership to yourself?

@Yazin : This is not a mortgage broker question! They need a notary public or lawyer to do the legal paperwork.
Thanks for your reply, if she be the full owner she can't get mortgage approved over $400k since a couple should make over $100k/yr to get approved for atleast $600k valued house.

Ronny123

Oct 23, 2020
This is a mortgage broker question, First why you are on a work permit unless you came in a work permit then you got married. You need to ask a mortgage broker if you can be a co-applicant as the property should go under your wife's name so you don't have to pay the foreign property tax. Also you need to show two years of employment to get approved.
Thanks for your reply iwould check for this co applicant thing that would be great.

Reactions: rajibsam

Ronny123

Oct 23, 2020
Yes i live in lower mainland, British Columbia and have been working for 2 years. I called the tax department yesterday and they said i would have to pay 20% ATT (foreign entity tax) even If own 1%share of the property.

Reactions: yosdidaedward

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless these rules were in place someone would buy the property with someone who is a PR or citizen and then transfer ownership. You'll need to wait until you are a PR. Low interest rates are going to change.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Are you in BC?
One possiblity is if you apply for BC PNP and nominated, you will be exempted from Foreign Tax, AFAIK. Consult a mortgage broker.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you in BC?
One possiblity is if you apply for BC PNP and nominated, you will be exempted from Foreign Tax, AFAIK. Consult a mortgage broker.
Why do you even post? OP said they are living in BC (lower mainland) already. A mortgage broker would not help. AFAYK is incorrect. OP contacted the tax department and said would have to pay 20% ATT (foreign entity tax) even If own 1%share of the property.

Please read before you post anything.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
OP said they are living in BC (lower mainland) already.
I read their first post that said, my assumption turned out to be correct.

AFAYK is incorrect
Yes, if one applies for BC PNP and they are nominated then they are exempted from tax.
Source : https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/71d9f918-8aff-455f-9a11-53976cec94e6/BC-PNP-SI-and-EEBC-Workers-Info-Sheet.pdf.aspx

Advantages of the BC PNP
nominees are exempt from foreign buyers’ tax
What I told them was not incorrect. If they get a BC PNP, they can avoid that tax as per laws.

OP contacted the tax department and said would have to pay 20% ATT (foreign entity tax) even If own 1%share of the property.
Errr... I didn't comment on percentage part. My comment was that BC PNP can help him avoid the tax if the other partner in join ownership is already exempt (by being a PR).

Please read before you post anything.
Errr.... may be you should also do the same?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Errr.... may be you should also do the same?
You don't know what you talking about!

I suggest you read the entire thread one more time. Do you saw OP as a PNP applicant? But OP was sponsored by PR wife. That was said in the first post.

I have an idea. Perhaps OP could consider to buy a presales unit instead.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
You don't know what you talking about!

I suggest you read the entire thread one more time. Do you saw OP as a PNP applicant? But OP was sponsored by PR wife. That was said in the first post.

I have an idea. Perhaps OP could consider to buy a presales unit instead.
I merely mentioned one possibility. Nothing more. The OP has not mentioned *ANYTHING* about PNP. I have no visibility in their PR process. Its not prudent to assume that they don't have it. For all one may know, they may have it and that may simplify their lives.

KenHaptor

Mar 9, 2023
Buying a house is a big decision and can be quite challenging, especially when you're on an open work permit and waiting for your PR application to be processed. As for your question about the 20% foreign entity tax exemption, it's best to consult with a real estate lawyer or a tax professional. They can give you more specific and accurate advice on this matter. Additionally, if you're looking for potential properties to consider, you may want to check out Lentor lentorhillsresidences-lentorhillsroad.sg. They have a variety of residential options that may be suitable for you and your wife. Overall, buying a house is a big investment and requires careful consideration.

Last edited: