+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am new here and got a question

tata1234

Dec 19, 2014
Hi,

I am currently an international student in the US, who is in last year of Doctor of physical therapy program and will graduate in May 2015. I am interested in working as a physical therapist in Ontario so i don't know if I qualified for the PNP and which category that I fall under? I would love to move to Ontario and start working right after graduating. Do I need US license to work there or the doctor degree would be enough to be qualified to work in Canada? thanks a lot!!

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
tata1234 said:
Hi,

I am currently an international student in the US, who is in last year of Doctor of physical therapy program and will graduate in May 2015. I am interested in working as a physical therapist in Ontario so i don't know if I qualified for the PNP and which category that I fall under? I would love to move to Ontario and start working right after graduating. Do I need US license to work there or the doctor degree would be enough to be qualified to work in Canada? thanks a lot!!
You would need a job offer from a Canadian employer and a temporary work permit based on the offer to work in Canada. You need to find out if your profession is licensed in Ontario/Canada. If so, then you would also need to get the license IN Canada to work there. If you want to be a Canadian Permanent resident, then you would need to look into the federal immigration programs. But, fresh out of college without prior work experience, it is going to be VERY difficult for you to do any of those. You should spend some time reading up on the temporary and permanent residency programs in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
tata1234 said:
Hi,

Good one, like your sense of humor! Namaste is right, it will be veeeery hard, we have enough qualified young university leavers looking for a job. A US license means nothing here, you need to qualify, read here:

To practice in Ontario all physicians are required to have a certificate of registration (licence) from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).

The qualifications required for an Independent Practice certificate in Ontario include:

Certification from the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC).
Completion of Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examinations (MCC QE) Parts 1 and 2.
One year of Canadian postgraduate training or medical practice.
Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Resident status or a valid work permit.

Good luck!

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi tata,

I think polara misunderstood your degree there. You are not a medical doctor but a physiotherapist earning a DPT.

Anyway, this is where you will start. You will have to contact the Alliance at www.alliancept.org first to assess your credentials. I do not think you will have any problems and I would assume that they will give you permission to sit the exams without having to go through additional credits. While it is true that you will not be able to practice with your American license, you are still allowed to take the Canadian exams (PCE). You can cross the border easily to take it but cannot stay to work.

Once you have successfully completed and passed the PCE (written and clinical components), you may register for a license and apply for jobs anywhere in Canada. Here's the kicker, you have to find an employer who is willing to apply for a work permit for you. That process is altogether different.

First, get the Canadian license. Then you can worry about finding an employer. To finish off with a positive note, there is no lack of employment opportunities for physios in Canada. Do feel free to contact me if you have other questions. I will pm you my email address.