+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am eligible but what are the chances?

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi guys,

happy to have found this forum since I find myself stuck right now.

I did several test to compute my point for the FSW programm and I scored about 76 which makes me eligible to apply. However, I neither have a job in Canada nor a proper employment offer. Now I was told that this is very important and that getting into the pool is only step of the process.

How would you see the chances of an application under these circumstances? Does it even make sense to apply?

PS: My NOC profession is Marketing Manager

Thanks a lot guys.

Philipp

anujgupta84

Sep 12, 2014
Neither of us has a job in hand.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Please check the link above and share your points.

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi guys,

I haven't taken the IELTS yes, but had done it some years ago. I just used the approximate same points.

According to that, my points are 437. I don't have a proper job offer in Canada. My NOC code is 0124.

What do you all think? I actually had an immigration lawyer from Victoria telling me that it most likely wouldn't be successful because of this fact.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
437 is most likely not high enough to be selected this year.

So far only those with 450 points and above have been selected. I believe it's extremely unlikely the score will drop as low as 437 this year. But that's just my guess.

You'll need to take the IELTS test and obtain the results before you can set up an Express Entry profile. So that needs to be your first step. Have you already had your education assessed? If not - you need to do that as well (unless your education was in Canada).

anujgupta84

Sep 12, 2014
Philigran said:
Hi guys,

I haven't taken the IELTS yes, but had done it some years ago. I just used the approximate same points.

According to that, my points are 437. I don't have a proper job offer in Canada. My NOC code is 0124.

What do you all think? I actually had an immigration lawyer from Victoria telling me that it most likely wouldn't be successful because of this fact.
Some years ago means IELTS won't be valid now. So in any case you will have to re-take it. To maximize your points try for 8 in Listening and 7 in remaining three sections of the test. That's your best chance.

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
I honestly wouldn't know how to improve my score. I looked at the google doc listed here, and so many people have like 460, 470 and more. I mean I calculated top language results (in english), I am 37 years old, I am single, I have more than 7 years experience in my field, I have a proper Master's degree.

What I don't have is more than one year working experience in Canada or an employment offer. So how do the other applicants rank so high? Do they all already have experience in Canada or a job offer? It's frustrating.

And if my score isn't high enough for being selected, what reason is there to apply?

So many questions ....

But thanks you guys for trying to help. Really appreciate it lots.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Philigran said:
I honestly wouldn't know how to improve my score. I looked at the google doc listed here, and so many people have like 460, 470 and more. I mean I calculated top language results (in english), I am 37 years old, I am single, I have more than 7 years experience in my field, I have a proper Master's degree.

What I don't have is more than one year working experience in Canada or an employment offer. So how do the other applicants rank so high? Do they all already have experience in Canada or a job offer? It's frustrating.

And if my score isn't high enough for being selected, what reason is there to apply?

So many questions ....

There is reason to apply. For instance, Ontario has been inviting many applicants with scores over 400 to apply for its provincial nomination, which gives an additional 600 points if you get it. You have to complete an EE application and then wait to see if they notice you and invite you to apply. There are other provincial nomination programs as well, with caps most likely to be reset in January. And although it seems unlikely that CIC wants to see points go below 450, they could change their minds at any time, and 437 is not so much lower than 450 as to be unreasonable.

It's true that applicants get points for Canadian experience, and then additional points for having worked both in Canada and somewhere else. It really does boost your score. But there are many people on this forum who have gotten or are about to get PR who have never set foot in Canada. There's no reason to give up hope so quickly if it's something you really want.

anujgupta84

Sep 12, 2014
Philigran said:

So many questions ....

Hey come on!

You don't need a Canadian connection. 75% guys here are all not Canada based. Your profile looks good. You just need a good IELTS score and you have a great chance just like any regular candidate would have.

Give it a try if Canada is your dream!

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Thanks for the encouragement and the hint with the provincial nominee program. That might be an alternative route to take.
For this to work, should I apply for a Provincial Nomination beforehand or just go on with the EE FSW program?

One more question: Is the selection process also taking into consideration the NOC itself or are they just looking at the plain number of points?

@Anuj I understand and in my points calculation I already assumed a top IELTS score. I still only get those 437. How did you get those 457 if you have never worked in Canada? Is it all because of bringing a spouse then? I really don't get it. At this point, I have no way of increasing my point score although I feel qualified.

One thing is for sure though...with chances rather being slim, I definitely don't think it is a good idea to hire an immigration lawyer who will charge most of his fees before being granted the PR.

Thanks again guys, I feel like I am at least learning more and getting somewhere.

Philipp

anujgupta84

Sep 12, 2014
Philigran said:
Thanks for the encouragement and the hint with the provincial nominee program. That might be an alternative route to take.
For this to work, should I apply for a Provincial Nomination beforehand or just go on with the EE FSW program?

One more question: Is the selection process also taking into consideration the NOC itself or are they just looking at the plain number of points?

@Anuj I understand and in my points calculation I already assumed a top IELTS score. I still only get those 437. How did you get those 457 if you have never worked in Canada? Is it all because of bringing a spouse then? I really don't get it. At this point, I have no way of increasing my point score although I feel qualified.

One thing is for sure though...with chances rather being slim, I definitely don't think it is a good idea to hire an immigration lawyer who will charge most of his fees before being granted the PR.

Thanks again guys, I feel like I am at least learning more and getting somewhere.

Philipp
You don't need an immigration lawyer. Let me tell you a friend of mine got nomination from Ontario with 401 points without any Canadian connection.

The only advantage I had is of my age. I got 105 points for age, while you get 66. I would suggest you to make your profile and give it a shot if you want to immigrate to Canada. Don't lose hope and let your professional life be as it was. Book an IELTS test and once you have the results, we all will converse then. I hope I made sense.

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi again,

did your friend apply directly for the Provincial Nomination or was handled through his FSW application?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Philigran said:

Philipp
First, don't hire an attorney if there is nothing problematic - like a health or criminal issue - in your case. But you still have to study every word CIC sends you, every description of every document they want, and be sure to meet their requirements.

Second, EE and PR requirements are different. In order to get an invitation to apply, you need raw points. No one looks at your NOC at that time, it doesn't matter to your EE points. BUT once you get an invitation to apply, you will have to have job reference letters that match with your chosen NOC. I would say that one of the most common reasons for rejecting an application is that the VO did not believe the applicant's job duties matched the chosen NOC. Go by the description of the work when you choose an NOC, not by the job title. There is no advantage any more to one NOC over another, as long as the job is in the 0, A, or B category.

With Ontario, you have to get into the EE pool first, and then they will contact you if they are interested. Be sure to check Ontario as a province you are willing to live in in your EE profile! With other provinces, you should look up their requirements and if you match, and you are willing to live there, follow their procedure.

When you actually fill out your EE profile with your IELTS score, degree evaluation, and experience, your points may come out higher than you anticipate. Good luck!

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi Dobes,

thanks for the clarification. That is a definite help.

You and the others have persuaded me to go without a lawyer. I think I can do it and this forum seems to full of knowledgeable and helpful people.

I think the letters of reference and my NOC shouldn't be a problem. I have very detailed letters for each position and the content almost matches exactly the description of my selected NOC. So that should be ok. I guess my first steps need to be the IELTS and the Education Assessment. The latter might be a problem, as it will difficult to get an actual credit history. I graduated in 2006 and then, they didn't store results and credits electronically.

Anyway, concerning the Pprovincial Nomination. Is there a comprehensive site which shows which provinces are looking for which skills? As mentioned, my NOC will be Advertising and Marketing Manager, so I need to pick the province with the highest demand in that field.

Thanks a lot,

Philipp

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Philigran said:
Anyway, concerning the Pprovincial Nomination. Is there a comprehensive site which shows which provinces are looking for which skills? As mentioned, my NOC will be Advertising and Marketing Manager, so I need to pick the province with the highest demand in that field.
Start here for Provincial nomination programs ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

Remember that each province has their own means of assessing and ranking potential applicants. In most cases (except Ontario), you have to apply to the province of interest after ascertaining that you are eligible to apply.

All the best!