+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am applying to Canadian universities. I am thinking of applying for PR after 1 year experience in

Abhijan

Feb 13, 2018
I am applying to Canadian universities. I am thinking of applying for PR after 1 year experience in India. After getting PR and will go for Masters/MBA. Will this be possible?
i have seen various university websites. Mcgill for instance has lower fees for Canadian PRs and citizens. Also if I am a Quebec resident then the fees will further get lowered. So my plan is to get COPR, fly down to Montreal, get the actual card by living there for 3-4 months. In the meanwhile I can also prove my Quebec residency by giving them the domicile of the apartment I would have rented. The minimum stay to prove Quebec residency is 3 months. So after getting both PR and Quebec domicile, I will apply for Mcgill. My doubt is that during these months before joining the university, do I need to do menial survival jobs in Montreal, considering the fact that I am low on savings? If so, how difficult it is to find these survival jobs before I eventually join the university as Montreal requires certain expertise in French which I don't know.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
I hope you are prepared for a long wait, if you want to get PR through Quebec. It will easily take a minimum of 2 years or even more (looking at the speed of New Delhi Visa Office) to get permanent residency. You could try Express entry for other provinces, but then you of course pay out-of-province fees for University.
Survival job can be easy to find if you really don't care what it is. If it is customer-facing job, you will need to learn French. If you don't need to serve people, they may not be so strict on your level of French. but either way, you SHOULD learn some French.

Abhijan

Feb 13, 2018
I hope you are prepared for a long wait, if you want to get PR through Quebec. It will easily take a minimum of 2 years or even more (looking at the speed of New Delhi Visa Office) to get permanent residency. You could try Express entry for other provinces, but then you of course pay out-of-province fees for University.
Survival job can be easy to find if you really don't care what it is. If it is customer-facing job, you will need to learn French. If you don't need to serve people, they may not be so strict on your level of French. but either way, you SHOULD learn some French.
I am not going for PR through Quebec. What I am saying is I will get PR through express entry only(maybe even Ontario Human Capital stream if I am not able to get above 440). But I will settle in Montreal initially in Canada so that I can get in province fees.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
OK then, just be aware that you will not be eligible for healthcare in Quebec for at least 3 months when you arrive.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
I am applying to Canadian universities. I am thinking of applying for PR after 1 year experience in India. After getting PR and will go for Masters/MBA. Will this be possible?
i have seen various university websites. Mcgill for instance has lower fees for Canadian PRs and citizens. Also if I am a Quebec resident then the fees will further get lowered. So my plan is to get COPR, fly down to Montreal, get the actual card by living there for 3-4 months. In the meanwhile I can also prove my Quebec residency by giving them the domicile of the apartment I would have rented. The minimum stay to prove Quebec residency is 3 months. So after getting both PR and Quebec domicile, I will apply for Mcgill. My doubt is that during these months before joining the university, do I need to do menial survival jobs in Montreal, considering the fact that I am low on savings? If so, how difficult it is to find these survival jobs before I eventually join the university as Montreal requires certain expertise in French which I don't know.
Like @Betula said, getting a PR thru Quebec is a long shot, don't even think of it while residing outside Canada. Assuming you already have a PR, your plan will work out. McGill is one of the best universities.

Now survival jobs wont pay your rent+food+tuition in addition to the fact that customer facing jobs require fluent French in Quebec. I dont think you should plan to pay for your tuition based on those jobs. The minimum wage in Quebec is 11.25/hr.