+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am an American and want to marry my canadian boyfriend.

Benni

Oct 22, 2013
Newfoundland
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
AOR Received.
27-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
Lil_lulu86 said:
Ok so has everyone done is alone? Or has anyone hired someone? I currently would like to try to do this by myself but people are telling me to hire someone from the immigration office of David Cohen. What's the ups and downs to doing it yourself.
NO! Don't hire a lawyer -- you can learn and get help for everything you need to know right here on the forum.

The only people I've heard of getting a lawyer is someone who has a difficult case.

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Collingwood Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
Do not hire anyone, unless you have a difficult case. My husband and I did everything alone. If you need help with anything, feel free to PM me!

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
Benni said:
Oh! Just thought of one more thing -- I'll be buying a round trip ticket for a 90-day stay. If I extend my stay, what do I do with the rest of the ticket?
Can you try to get one that is non-refundable? Otherwise you may just have to eat that cost..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lil_lulu86 said:
That was the plan was to apply inland. Has anyone applied inland? And what's the waiting period for a work permit? And is there any disadvantages?
As an American, there is little advantage for you to apply inland. You wouldn't get the work permit until after 1st stage approval, currently taking 7-8 months. Until recently, 1st stage approval was actually taking over 11 months, so be aware that the processing times can change quite suddenly. After that, it is still up to 8 more months to actually become a PR. If you end up needing to leave Canada for any reason, such as a family emergency, you risk your inland application being cancelled if they realize that you are no longer in Canada or if you are denied re-entry.

An outland app would be processed through Ottawa. It's averaging about 8-10 months now, from start to finish. There is no work permit option but you would be a PR in around the same amount of time it takes to get 1st stage approval from an inland application. You would be able to leave Canada if you needed to without risking your app. Extending visitor status during the processing of a PR app is very common, nothing to be worried about.

Going back to your earlier question about common-law, to qualify as common-law, you and your partner must have lived together continuously for at least a year. You would need to be able to prove the cohabitation to CIC. If you aren't common-law, then the only way to apply is to get married.

And most definitely no need to hire a lawyer. It's a lot of work but fairly straightforward, with guides and checklists. If you get stuck on anything, this forum can pretty much always provide the answer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lil_lulu86 said:
If I apply Outland can I cross into canada during that time.
Yes. As an American with a PR app in process, you should have no issues re-entering Canada.

Lil_lulu86 said:
And I still have to cross and get married so after we get married will I be able to cross back into the states?
Understand that you don't have to be outside Canada to be able to apply outland. You can come to Canada, get married and apply outland form within Canada, without ever having to return to the US.

If you do want to return to the US and apply from there, you can do that and then come to Canada. As I said above, with a PR app in process, you should have no issue; just don't turn up at the border with all of your belongings and tell them you are moving to Canada.

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
Lil_lulu86 said:
Can anyone give me a fees breakdown?
Sponsorship application (per application) $75
Principal applicant $475
Getting your permanent resident status $490

Lil_lulu86

Feb 22, 2014
United States going to Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Working on it
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes. As an American with a PR app in process, you should have no issues re-entering Canada.

Understand that you don't have to be outside Canada to be able to apply outland. You can come to Canada, get married and apply outland form within Canada, without ever having to return to the US.

If you do want to return to the US and apply from there, you can do that and then come to Canada. As I said above, with a PR app in process, you should have no issue; just don't turn up at the border with all of your belongings and tell them you are moving to Canada.

Now when I cross the border to come get married how long do I tell them I am staying for? And when I file my paperwork do I need anything to file for an extension?

missmatalini

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 11th 2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested July 15th 2014
AOR Received.
March 25th 2014
File Transfer...
March 28th 2014
Med's Request
July 15th 2014
Med's Done....
July 16th 2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
November 13th
LANDED..........
February 2nd 2015
Benni said:
Oh! Just thought of one more thing -- I'll be buying a round trip ticket for a 90-day stay. If I extend my stay, what do I do with the rest of the ticket?
Depending on how you're getting into Canada, I wouldn't buy a roundtrip, I'd find other ways to "prove" you're not staying past your 6 month limit.

My destination was BC, so I flew into Spokane, Washington and crossed through the land border (I've found that it's way easier to cross by land than by going through customs in an airport, the people are less cranky) My old job wrote a letter saying I was employed with them. . so I had that and also just mentioned school semester was starting in the beginning of September (It wasn't entirely a lie because if I was going to end up coming back I was going to be going to school)

I'd suggest trying to find other ways to "prove" you're not staying in Canada, if you can't, go ahead with the ticket but in an effort to save you money I'd try and find other options or a good excuse to why you haven't bought a return ticket yet.

Benni

Oct 22, 2013
Newfoundland
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
AOR Received.
27-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
Thanks for the round trip info. I'll see what I can come up with.

I've always been told, on this forum, to always buy a round trip ticket as it shows proof of leaving Canada. Then to just cancel the return ticket.

chessnut1087

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
Advice to you:

Start your paperwork NOW. It will take a long time to gather information for your case, get background checks, medical exam, etc. You want to have your paperwork already ready to go so that all you need to do is throw your marriage stuff in with the application and send it off. It will take anywhere from 6-12 months (usually).

As for packing up and moving to Canada right after the wedding, I DO NOT recommend this. I am in the process of being sponsored at the moment as a "spouse". I have made over 12 trips this past year to visit my husband in Canada and was always given a 6-month visitor visa. However, on this trip I just made, I was only given an 8-day visitor visa because the officer suspected that maybe I would not leave Canada (even though I had a return ticket for one week later). If you move to Canada and you decide to go to the USA to visit, and you give up your house and everything down there, if you get a short visa because of this suspicion, you will be screwed. I recommend sending the paperwork immediately after the wedding and staying in the USA till you get your PR card.

Many people forget that just because you CAN get a 6-month visitor visa, doesn't mean that you WILL or are entitled to one. Do you want to risk having to constantly get on and off of planes for the entire process?