+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a temporary resident in Canada. Can I work for an Irish company here?

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Hi,
I live in Canada. I am Irish.
I have a valid work permit for a Canadian company I used to work for, it is valid for 15 more months.
An old company in Ireland has recruited me to do some work for them over here, market research, and some project specification.

Is there anything I need to do to be able to legally work for them from here?
I would imagine i don't need an LMO or work permit for working for a foreign company.
And I think I'm ok to stay in Canada until my old work permit expires.

Can anyone confirm if that is the case?
or give any helpful advice other than call CIC. :)

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
rasher83 said:
Hi,
I live in Canada. I am Irish.
I have a valid work permit for a Canadian company I used to work for, it is valid for 15 more months.
An old company in Ireland has recruited me to do some work for them over here, market research, and some project specification.

Is there anything I need to do to be able to legally work for them from here?
I would imagine i don't need an LMO or work permit for working for a foreign company.
And I think I'm ok to stay in Canada until my old work permit expires.

Can anyone confirm if that is the case?
or give any helpful advice other than call CIC. :)

As long as you have a work permit which is valid you can continue to stay in canada. Since the work permit specifies the employer and is not an open work permit it might not allow you to work for any other employer. If this new employer wishes to pay you directly via bank deposit and you are okie with it; it should work. Does this Irish company have any physical locations/ offices here in canada?
Also with not pertaining to the employer on your work permit in the long run you won't be able to apply for PR / extension but it all depends what your goal in canada would be.

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Ok, so they don't have any physical locations here in Canada yet.
Is it possible then to get a work permit in Canada to work for an Irish company?
Have I any way of working for them legally without having to exit the country and re enter as a business visitor for 6 month periods at a time?

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
rasher83 said:
Ok, so they don't have any physical locations here in Canada yet.
Is it possible then to get a work permit in Canada to work for an Irish company?
Have I any way of working for them legally without having to exit the country and re enter as a business visitor for 6 month periods at a time?
Since the firm does not fall under the canadian jurisdiction in terms of paying taxes, getting a business account with canada revenue agency and all those legal terms..it would be hard to get a work permit under that firm.

The CIC website states: You may qualify as a business visitor if you are a foreign national who plans to visit Canada temporarily to look for new business opportunities, to invest or to advance existing business relationships. So if you can prove that you are pursuing a business opportunity, you can work but then your intend of stay should be less than 6 months. To work over 6 months, you would have to get a work permit.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I am not totally sure about this...but if you are a legal temprary resident of Canada, as long as the Company that you work for is not Canadian and your wages are not being paid by a Canadian Company you can work here.

But like anything I would research and check with CIC on this.