+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a Canadian but my wife is non-Canadian, can she avoid the giving birth cost

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Based on what you posted MSP waives the up to 3 month wait period because they have been in Canada for many months. Seems like that is up the MSP worker.
Still not sure what you mean. The wait period is never waived. Instead of using the date of arrival in BC to start the wait period, MSP uses the date the app is received by IRCC or the date the fees are paid. Time before either of those actions is not counted towards the wait period.

Reactions: Elbagurl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
MSP doesn't make them wait up to 3 month to use your MSP card. In some cases they say that you have done your waiting while a visitor. Seems like there is quite a lot of variability based on who you are dealing with.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MSP doesn't make them wait up to 3 month to use your MSP card. In some cases they say that you have done your waiting while a visitor. Seems like there is quite a lot of variability based on who you are dealing with.
I still don't know what you are trying to say. They serve the wait period just like everyone else and sometimes their status is visitor during that time. For people who don't apply for MPS right away, the wait period may already be done by the time they do. This is the case for anyone. When I returned to BC, I applied for MSP after about 2 months, as I knew I wouldn't get coverage before then anyways. My coverage started 3 weeks after I applied.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unlike in Ontario you may be able to start your waiting period while a visitor so you may have exceeded the waiting period when you file for PR. Seems like it is a case by case situation so can't assume that wife of OP will get MSP upon applying since it seems like she has been in Canada for months.

Nathaliafoz

Jan 22, 2019
I’m applying for permanent resident by sponsor family inLand. I already have the WP and selection du Quebec. We got married on year ago in Quebec ( he is Canadian) and we discovered I’m pregnant.
What Should I do to get the Quebec insurance? I’m allowed?
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m applying for permanent resident by sponsor family inLand. I already have the WP and selection du Quebec. We got married on year ago in Quebec ( he is Canadian) and we discovered I’m pregnant.
What Should I do to get the Quebec insurance? I’m allowed?
Thank you
Are you working?

MonChoon

Sep 10, 2018
My wife is in a similar situation. We are in New Brunswick. I am a Canadian citizen and she is in Canada on a work permit that is expiring Feb. 28th. We applied for PR Spousal sponsorship and the OWP in December and are still waiting for AOR. Does anyone know about Medicare in NB? She currently has coverage but it only lasts until her Work Permit will expire at the end of this month. If we have this "implied status" and a work permit being processed is it possible to provide proof to Medicare somehow and they could extend her coverage?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife is in a similar situation. We are in New Brunswick. I am a Canadian citizen and she is in Canada on a work permit that is expiring Feb. 28th. We applied for PR Spousal sponsorship and the OWP in December and are still waiting for AOR. Does anyone know about Medicare in NB? She currently has coverage but it only lasts until her Work Permit will expire at the end of this month. If we have this "implied status" and a work permit being processed is it possible to provide proof to Medicare somehow and they could extend her coverage?
I suggest you contact NB Medicare directly.

MonChoon

Sep 10, 2018
I suggest you contact NB Medicare directly.
I plan to, thank you. I am going to call Monday morning. I had anticipated having her Work Permit renewed already so it wasn't going to be an issue but things are taking longer than expected now and it is making me anxious.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I plan to, thank you. I am going to call Monday morning. I had anticipated having her Work Permit renewed already so it wasn't going to be an issue but things are taking longer than expected now and it is making me anxious.
It takes 3-4 months to get the OWP, so the earliest it may arrive is closer to the end of March.